Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    QUESTION for the PROS - Top 3 things to becoming an Affiliate Bazillionaire
    This question is for all of the successful Affiliate Marketing Pros we have here at ABW..

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE -

What are the Top 3 things you would do to get your Business Off The Ground and Why, ......

You've got your domain name...

It's hosted!

You've been writing content for the site for years.

Your site is beautifully built, tested, caressed with love and loaded!

No-one in the whole freaking world knows who you are!

You're just a picture page on your moniter.

What 3 things should newbies and those of us wanting to build new sites CONCENTRATE ON to get exposure and what are the best ways to monetize the traffic as it grows????

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Run down a busy street wearing nothing but a 10 gallon hat and the URL of your site painted across your rear in big black letters. Do this all weekend long.

ABW Ambassador
    SeymourButts:

I have found that that works better on weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    Run down a busy street wearing nothing but a 10 gallon hat and the URL of your site painted across your rear in big black letters. Do this all weekend long.
    That sounds great if you have a jail themed site wanting to attract convicts for some reason...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    I have a couple of sites that are largely just for fun with a small monetizing function.

Since my one year old daughter started crawling about a month or two ago, my content has fallen off a cliff! I look after her all weekend and my wife looks after her during the week, around our schedules. It's nigh on impossible to concentrate on the monitor with a little monkey crawling around and getting into everything, not to mention bumping her head every two seconds.

Sorry, off-theme, I know, but I had to vent

Yours,

The Sad Man...
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Getting good, targeted traffic has got to be up on the list. I have never been able to afford PPC so I always tried the organic route, which in my case was always too competitive. I don't get any traffic, let alone targeted traffic. Hopefully before I die I can figure that one out.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy View Post
    This question is for all of the successful Affiliate Marketing Pros we have here at ABW..

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE -

What are the Top 3 things you would do to get your Business Off The Ground and Why, ......

You've got your domain name...

It's hosted!

You've been writing content for the site for years.

Your site is beautifully built, tested, caressed with love and loaded!

You're just a picture page on your moniter.

What 3 things should newbies and those of us wanting to build new sites CONCENTRATE ON to get exposure and what are the best ways to monetize the traffic as it grows????
    How many press releases have you done?

How much have you gotten into all the social media that's out there?

Have you worked your local media yet? My very first year doing this, I emailed a few local stations (big city) one came out and did a story on my site. I was thinking a little mention on their site or on TV if that. Nah, they came out with the cameras to where I was living. Local media show a lot of love usually to local businesses. You might contact them and tell them what you do and they might use you as a source if they have some upcoming story that's related. Imagine a story on a business that just had to go thru thousands of dollars of repair because they had some mold issue. Then cut to Jimmy telling them how it could have been all avoided. That kind of thing.

You might have done that stuff already for all I know.

Although not all the options are appropriate for my sites... or work, I liked this list so much that I printed it out and posted it on one of my many whiteboards/bulletin boards in the office.
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=20

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    How many press releases have you done?
    What do you use for Press Releases? The prices range from free to $500+ per release. I did a Press Release at PR.com ($20 package for 20 releases) with virtually no impact other than I did get a nice backlink which is probably worth the buck I spent.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Press releases are free. Templates all over the place online for non-PR type folks. Write them yourself. Third person.

OK, back on topic, asking about three things to do. I have never personally done press releases, so...

Built beautifully and full of content but NO ONE knows about it yet, eh? So, it must be on a server and you just plugged in the Ethernet cable to make it go live...

1. Hand submit the home page to the major search engines. While it may be true that the SEs will eventually find you, without ANY inbound links you may need to help the process along a bit.
    2. Work on some inbound links. You can start sending a few contact emails asking for link exchanges. But I would begin the "inbound linking" by asking a couple of friends or colleagues to give me a little link-love (might offer a round robin type of reciprocity) just to get things started.
    3. Start some self promotion, but not obnoxiously, on a couple of social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter would be where I would start).
      ---> Note: If you have truly good and unique content that should get things rolling within a few weeks. If the content is valuable (answers a question, solves a problem, or is just plain interesting) then inbound links will "magically" appear.
    4. PPC - This may be a necessary alternative if the content sucks and/or the site is only beautiful in the eyes of the designer. ---> Or...if you are already experienced at PPC this may be the only thing you would do.

Monetizing may be a bit tougher because it depends on the site, the content and what it is trying to accomplish (in addition to producing an income).
    1. A product-specific niche site would/should have merchant(s) presence through an affiliate program. An example might be a site designed to sell personal checks with a "gardening" theme. There should be checks images, descriptive narrative, and links to gardening checks and flower checks - available at GirlyChecks and 4Checks and Checks Unlimited and Bradford Exchange, etc. This will provide the best shopping "value" to your visitors by offering them the widest possible selection of "gardening" checks. Girly Checks should be most prominent because they offer the highest commissions and have lifetime cookies (but the customer doesn't know that).
    2. A general information site might be approached differently. An example might be gardening site you built because you LOVE gardening and have a gazillion good photos and stories to share with your visitors. This site may be monetized with affiliate links, where appropriate, from many merchants in many different verticals. If the site is mainly flower gardens, you might include some (seemingly) odd-ball items like bee-sting ointment from a drugstore merchant. A site about vegetable gardening might include a cooking merchant and display canning and steaming kitchen appliances/utensils. Either site may also do well with some AdSense or other contextual advertising in places. In fact, it may be a bit "easier" to begin that way - just use ad block sizes that can easily be replaced with ads from merchants. Oh, yes, don't forget to include some garden-theme checks.

All of the above just may be the way I would start out - if I were starting something brand new. YMMV.

OK, Jimmy, next question. (...or let the flames begin...)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy View Post

They won't know who you are if you don't talk to them, interact with them, give them something (link love, publicity, giveaways, site mentions, , free short ebook, etc.) to keep them coming back. Interact with them using videos, social media, email, blogs, etc. It's all part of the brand building and when they see your logo often, they will remember you, oh yes, that is Jimmy the cool dude over at that mold site, he is the king of mold, etc...

Tell you guys something I've done with my Sprinkler site....

I plastered cool stickers all over my Jeep and got my first on line form request for a sprinkler system bid... COOL! -

Talking about Press Releases.....

I've found THIS free resource for anyything and everything you ever wanted to know about press releases...

If you take the time to educate yourself, there are ton of things that can be done for little to nothing cost wise.

The three things I would suggest:

1) Provide VALUE to your site visitors. Without them, your site is nothing.

2) Provide VALUE to the merchants you promote. If you're a good partner, you'll have merchants begging to work with you.

3) Provide VALUE to yourself. When all else is equal, choose the merchants that convert and pay the best.

When your site provides VALUE all the way around like that, it's far easier to get traffic and build a sustainable affiliate business.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    Although not all the options are appropriate for my sites... or work, I liked this list so much that I printed it out and posted it on one of my many whiteboards/bulletin boards in the office.
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=20
    That's worth posting all of in my humble opinion.....

Blogs are NOT my strong point.....

Nor all of this new social media stuff....

There are some VERY Intelligent folks here, who are on top of that stuff.

Lox comes to mind....

She seems to understand and use it effectively...

Here's the long post that Lindy Rig linked to:

I think you need to read a little more and learn what exactly affiliate marketing is and how its done. Like others have said, there are no easy or free ways, unless you think your time(to say the least) is not worth anything. Yes there may be a few "free"(free by most people's standard, meaning no cash involved) ways to drive traffic, but you still have to work hard and put some time and effort into it. I am not trying to be harsh, but if you want to succeed, you have to get rid of this mentality that unfortunately many people have, that making money online is easy. Its not! It takes even more hard work and effort to make money online than it would in our everyday life. This forum has some very helpful people, take advantage of their free knowledge and learn.

Any way I wish you the best of luck, If you need some ideas for traffic generation, here are a few ways you can work on it:

Submit your site wherever you can!

1. submit your blog to directories in your niche.

2. submit your blog to all the free directory and search engines.

3. submit your site to free website review sites like coolsiteoftheday.

4. submit each and every post to social bookmarking sites using onlywire.

5. submit your articles to article directories like Ezine, article base and associated content (change the article 20% to 30%, so it wont be picked up by SEs as a duplicate content).

Use web 2.0 and other resources to promote your site.

6. write related articles on WikiPedia with your blog url in it.

7. make a hubpage for your blog, with a little bit information about your blog.

8. make a wiki page for your blog.

9. make a squidoo lens or more with a link to your site.

10. sign up at 43things.com and write things related to your blog and what you want to accomplish.(you’d be surprise by the number of people, just reading other peoples list)

11. create a myspace page for your blog.

12. create a facebook page for your blog.

13. create a hi5 page for your blog.

14. join blogcatalog and do the same as with mybloglog.

15. use MyBlogLog to create a community around your blog. join other peoples community, so they do the same for you.

16. create an account with Technorati and with every new post, ping it.

17. post related how-to videos on you tube with your blog address on the bottom of the screen or at the end or beginning of the video.

18. use yahoo answers to answer questions related to your niche, leaving your link in the resource box. (believe it or not, 10% of my traffic comes from 20 minutes a week answering questions on yahoo answers)

19. create an account on stumbleupon, and stumble each and every article you write. (one of the best ways to drive traffic to your site for free)

20. join as many forums as possible, especially forums related to your niche

Take advantage of free tools and Plug-ins.

21. place a “digg it” button right after your post, to make it easy for your readers to digg your post.

22. use a comment notifying plug-in to let your readers know about new comments. believe it or not, most people read more of other peoples comment on your post, than your post itself.

23. use social bookmarking plug-ins to make it easy for your readers to submit your post to social bookmarking site

24. install “tell-a-friend” plug-in to make it easy for your readers to let others know about your post.

25. make use of “all in one SEO” plug-in to make your blog search engine friendly.

26. use a forum plug-in to create a forum for your blogs readers to talk and discuss related issues.

27. use a free keyword tool to find and use good ranking keywords in your niche.

28. use sites like vista print to make free business cards ($5 shipping for 250 free BC which is worth it) with your site url on it and pass it around.

29. make a free favicon to be easily found in your readers favorites file. (people like to find what they want fast. I myself sometimes give up finding a particular article or site in my huge favorite file, simply because i don’t want to spend 5 minuets to go through the whole list. A favicon is like big spot light focused on you between hundreds of other people!

30. use free press release services to gain visibility.

31. Use pingomatic to ping RSS aggregators.

32. use free advertising sources like craigslist and backpage to post ads about your articles or blog in related categories.

Other Bloggers Can Help Too!

33. talk about or if you can interview a trusted person in your niche

34. Leave comments on blogs in related niches or any niche for that matter.(don’t spam, leave genuine comment, as you would like others to do so for you)

35. make a banner ad for your blog and exchange with other interested bloggers.

36. use blogroll to link to other bloggers in your niche in exchange for a link to your blog on their blog roll.

37. ask other bloggers to write a review of your blog in exchange for a link to their site from your site.

38. dedicate a post about a top bloggers in your niche. it will catch their attention and they may link to you

39. whenever appropriate, link to other bloggers articles in your post. they will return the favor.

40. use your best articles to post on other peoples blog as a guest writer (it’ll gain you visibility and new audience)

41. another blogger to post on your blog as guest (while he enjoys some new readers, it will brings his readers to your site as well)

Use your site as a tool to attract and keep visitors.

42. provide freebies, like free ebooks, free downloads and etc, to your readers.

43. once in a while run a contest related to your niche and encourage visitors to participate for a prize, and do give a prize to the winner, no matter how small. it will help to establish your persona as a trusted blogger, and once people see you as a trustworthy person, not only they will keep coming back to you, but they will bring other visitors as well.

44. use common questions related to your niche for the title of your article.

45. use keywords in the title of your post. keywords in title is one of the easiest and most important techniques of search engine optimization.

46. use a small place on your blog to have your blogs complete url ready for those who wish to link to your blog.

47. keep your blog clean and easily navigable.(how many times you have left a site, because you weren’t able to find what you came for?)

48. use numbered list for your informative posts, like “5 ways to…”. people tend to like these kinds of post.

49. shocking and surprising articles will draw people to your site.

50. be on the look out for new developments and news related to your niche, the first person breaking a new story, gets the most traffic.

51. videos are increasingly becoming popular, use them on your blog to your advantage.

52. use tags for your post, as its becoming a very popular way of finding related content.

53. Post frequently. search engines and readers like fresh content.

54. if you have any other blog or site, place a link to your site. (you can even create a blog to talk about your journey with your blog/site).

55. read and respond to your readers comment.(if i feel that what i say is important to the writer, i am more likely to came back for more and encourage others to do the same)

Extra!

56. Put your blog URL in your forum signatures.

57. use your blog name for your user name in forums and when leaving comment on other blogs.

58. ask your friends and family to Digg and stumble your posts. a post with more diggs or stumble, means more visibility.

59. put your blogs name and url on a bumper sticker or something like that, and attach it to your car. big corporations pay people to place their ads on their car, you don’t have to pay anyone, use your own car and also give some stickers to your friends and family and ask them to stick it on back bumper.

60. make flyers with your blogs name and a short captivating headline style description and pass it in the mall or parking lots. if you use a good headline, at least 60-70% of the people will visit your blog out of curiosity, and who knows how many will become your die-hard fans!(readers).

61. and last but not least, be patient and give it some time. no one goes from 20/30 visitors a day to hundreds and thousands of visitors, over night.

p.s. Sorry, I know its a bit long. Its a list from my blog, I was gonna provide a link, but I didn't want to come across as self promoting since its my first post on this great forum, so I posted the whole thing here

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    RMG, I think if any of us did even 30 of the 61 things mentioned, we would get quite a bit traffic. I think I have used about 30 or so of these methods, just not all on one site. Trouble is, it can be very time consuming and you spend all your time promoting without spending time on the content. Just doing a few of the things mentioned can take up a lot of time. (Much time fending off spammers in networks too) But I think ultimately it all pays off. I will have some extra time very soon to try more of these promotion strategies out.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    SeymourButts:

I have found that that works better on weekdays.

Don't need three things.

I just need traffic. If I figure out that one, the rest of it is fairly easy.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    Don't need three things.

I just need traffic. If I figure out that one, the rest of it is fairly easy.
    Ah, but you want traffic that engages with you -- meaningful traffic.

I think Michael Coley's 3 suggestions are the ticket to meaningful traffic [traffic that converts].
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Ah, but you want traffic that engages with you -- meaningful traffic.

I think Michael Coley's 3 suggestions are the ticket to meaningful traffic [traffic that converts].
    +1

But that is why Michael is Michael

I have a small amount of traffic that is very good.

I have been racking my brain for how I can increase this amount of traffic, but I have come up empty with how to get more of this golden traffic.

So yes, thank you Michael, I need to focus on providing awesome value to this small amount of daily traffic with the hope that they will recommend my site to others and provide links.

I need to focus less on finding more traffic sources and instead focus on impressing the hell out of the traffic I have. I also need to focus less on monetizing the traffic I have and focus more on impressing them - even if this means I make less money in the short term.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread