Check Out Buttons - Do they all pass referrer info?
    I was browsing a merchant's site and putting stuff in my cart to see how the whole checkout process works. All fine until it was time to checkout and I am faced with 4 buttons.

Button 1: Merchant's Checkout Button
    Button 2: Paypal Checkout
    Button 3: Google Checkout
    Button 4: Amazon Checkout

My Question - Not being familiar with the Amazon Checkout Button, will this pass on my info to Amazon to get credit for the sale? The merchant is also selling on Amazon.

I've had a few experiences with my own (SAS) purchases made via Google checkout not tracking. I wish the network would check out things like this as it brings a lot of doubt into the picture.

If the link you clicked on was not an Amazon link I don't see how your browser could pass that info. I thought Amazon did not permit self referral commissions, but I am not positive about that. It may only be for certain items/categories.

Interesting that not all purchases were tracked with Google checkout. I wonder now if Paypal and Amazon would then be in the same boat. So perhaps some info is passed on to the shopping cart? I was more concerned about Amazon since I don't think they would keep track of where the sale came from.

If any merchant or AM have experience with this I would love to hear.

BTW, I was not actually making a purchase, just checking out their check out process. If I do make an Amazon purchase, I have a separate acct for self-referrals ...

google checkout
    I actually use google check out for my sales. You can read their documentation on google.checkout if your are interested by going to their site. But basically it works like this. When you sign up to be a merchant on their site you can a merchant id. So when my site is going to perform a purchase I send them the purchase information as well as my merchant id, so they can use that info. If you see a site that uses a buy now button you probably can see what their merchant id is in the html, if they use the back end xml processing then you won't be able to see it.

http and a telephoto
    There is an Amazon checkout separate from going to Amazon. Not sure if that is what this merchant was doing, or if they were really sending the shopper to Amazon. Also not sure if that tracks, have never tested it.

Will be testing Google Checkout at some point on Loxly Gallery, it does track if set up correctly. A couple merchants I know have it working correctly.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread