The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Merchants Copying Airlines and Charging Fees
    One of my merchants that I dropped advertises FREE Personalization, and then charges a "Customization Fee"

I just placed an order at a different Linkshare merchant - Walter Drake - and they now charge a "Processing Fee"

Merchandise Total: $103.89
    Processing Fee: $1.99 What's This?
    Shipping & Handling: $15.99 View Details
    Tax (WI): $0.00
    Total: $121.87

When you click the popup to see what the Processing Fee is, it says

The $1.99 processing fee allows us to continue to provide our customers with quality service.
    er... shouldn't providing quality service NOT be an additional charge

Tax Paying Member
    Our new plan is to give the merchandise for free, then tack on some fees to cover our costs, shipping, profit, income tax, sales tax, trip to the post office, packing, wrapper material, etc...................

Oh yeah.....I forgot the tariffs for transporting merchandise across state lines.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

The world has really become a sleazy place, at least when it involves humans. If there is reincarnation, I'd hope to come back as a dove or something.

Okay, maybe a bit of an extreme reaction for a processing fee, but it all starts to add up (human stuff).
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Pretty soon we will all be charged "click" fees while visiting sites.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

A processing fee is pretty ridiculous.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Pretty soon we will all be charged "click" fees while visiting sites.

Funny you dreamed this up....
    Tyme-Whiner is already proposing this or similar ways to extract more money from the internet user.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Tyme-Whiner is already proposing this or similar ways to extract more money from the internet user.
    Yeah, I have a feeling we should all be enjoying the internet in its current state. I doubt it will be the same 5 years from now. Just like everything, "they" will feel it needs to be controlled and to pay for that control a usage tax will be put in place. The more you use, the more you pay.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    Hey now, that fee goes to Pizza Friday for the employees.

I've seen a lot of merchants advertising free shipping, but then charge a hefty handling fee. When that happens with my purchases I am so out of there. I always write a complaint letter to them. However, if they said, "help us support pizza night" I'd go for it.
    leeann

Processing and handling fees are nothing new. Most of the old catalog merchants have had separate shipping, processing and handling fees since before the WWW. Some of them carried it over to the web.

I always look at the total price, and it's rare that these fee-happy companies have the best price.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Last week I phoned in an order for 100' of line for a project and they didn't have the shipping total at hand so she said they would send me a total for approval before charging and shipping. OK, shortly after that I received a .pdf by email with an Order Total: $18.50 that showed the line and a $4.50 charge so I thought that was awful cheap shipping.
    The next day, after I had emailed back and accepted the $18.50 charges I received another .pdf, this one was for $29.70 and had added on "freight" charges. When I emailed them back I was told that the $4.50 was their handling fee and the rest was for shipping. I let them know that since it had already shipped I would accept it but I thought it was a little bit tricky way to do business. I had ordered from them in the past and it wasn't done that way. Why don't they just raise their prices to reflect the actual cost of what you're buying? The overall price is not that bad for this specialized line, but I don't like the way they tacked on more after getting an approval for a different amount.

I had a similar thing happen to me last weekend. I went to order some blinds online, and went though like a dozen steps to get the correct size and color, then at the very end of checkout they added a $79 surcharge. It wasn't just one site though, I tried on a few others and they had the exact same surcharge fee. I wished they told about the surcharge earlier so I wouldn't waste my time.

http and a telephoto
    Shipping and Handling is one thing, but separate Processing fees on top of that are nuts. A company I used to promote did something like that that you didn't see until you checked out. I don't drive traffic to them anymore.

For $1.99 it would be better to raise the price and skip the extra fee.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Just another way for the greedy companies to rip you off. Just be straight with people. Remove the fee and charge more money. You know they never will though because they get people in the door with the lower prices.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Some merchants simply jack up the shipping fees to increase their profit. Yesterday I initiated an order at eToys for $70 worth of toys. They advertise free shipping with a purchase of $69 or more with the words "up to $15 value" included in parentheses. I thought; great, it should be less than $15 for standard shipping.

SURPRISE!!! Shipping was a whopping $35 for standard shipping (less $15 for a total of $20). ON A $70 ORDER!!!

A friend suggested that I try Walmart, which I did and the products were $3.40 less and the shipping was $8.97 for standard shipping.

It's illegal for companies to jack up product prices simply to lower them and claim "SALE" and the FTC needs to crack down on theses practices also because all they did was raise the shipping to a ridiculously high amount and then claim that they were giving you a deal with $15 off. Even with their $15 off, Walmart was a much better deal on shipping.

Way to rip off your customers eToys.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post

SURPRISE!!! Shipping was a whopping $35 for standard shipping (less $15 for a total of $20). ON A $70 ORDER!!!
    That's outrageous. Something else outrageous that has recently been passed with with a particular low cost carrier airline (I won't name which one) that now chargest $1.50 to use their bathroom on the flight. Only first class gets to pee for free. Everyone else must pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah The AIM Group View Post
    Something else outrageous that has recently been passed with with a particular low cost carrier airline (I won't name which one) that now chargest $1.50 to use their bathroom on the flight. Only first class gets to pee for free. Everyone else must pay.
    That could prove to be a mistake as passengers find more inventive ways to pee for free.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Pleeeeease post the name of the airline. I'm dying to know who is so stingy that they need to charge for using the bathroom.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Pleeeeease post the name of the airline. I'm dying to know who is so stingy that they need to charge for using the bathroom.
    It's RyanAir.

Let's picture them as a merchant...
    Thank you for shopping RyanElectronics.

Item: iPod Shuffle
    Price: $5.99

Order Processing Fee: $10
    Shipping: $15
    Handling: $10
    Website Click Fee: $3 Quantity: 7
    Credit Card Fee: $5
    Box fee: $5
    Shipping Label Fee: $3
    Packing Peanuts Fee: $5
    Box Tape Fee: $2
    Warehouse Worker Insurance Liability Fee: $5
    UPS Driver Tip: $2
    Apple Computer Fee: $10
    Office Electricity Fee: $5
    Office Filing Fee: $5
    Office Secretary Birthday Gift Fee: $5
    Office NCAA Tournament Pool Fee: $3
    Fee Processing Fee: $5

Coupon - Code: WEDONTLIKEYOU - 10% Off
    Discount: $-.59
    Coupon Processing Fee: $7

Subtotal: $128
    Receipt Fee: $10
    Total: $138

Thank you! Please shop again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Weinberg View Post
    It's RyanAir.

LOL bang on! I used to be a travel agent (I know!) so this is actually quite accurate.

And yes, it is RyanAir.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Weinberg View Post
    It's RyanAir.

awesome!
    perhaps that's why amazon and its prime are thriving. 2 day unlimited shipping for a small annual fee. got to love it!

Not everything bought through Amazon goes so well either. I recently ordered a Kensington Trackball mouse from an Amazon merchant who would not ship to my Post Office address so I gave them the street address of my Post Office for the shipment. They did ship via USPS mail and charged me over $30 for the 10 oz. package. Close to $25 in "handling" fees I guess, as the PO clerk told me it cost them $5.45 in postage. When they asked me to leave them feedback I asked them if they really wanted me to, considering these outrageous charges and they refunded me $5. wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah The AIM Group View Post
    That's outrageous. Something else outrageous that has recently been passed with with a particular low cost carrier airline (I won't name which one) that now chargest $1.50 to use their bathroom on the flight. Only first class gets to pee for free. Everyone else must pay.
    MAybe when everyone starts to piss and shit their pants they might think twice.

I would recommend that adults wear adult diapers and shit their pants during those flights and then start walking all the way around the plane. Eventually the stench will hit first class and they will pissed off!

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    I would recommend that adults wear adult diapers and shit their pants during those flights and then start walking all the way around the plane.
    Maybe this will help Depends sales soar. Mind the pun.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread