Getting traffic for a keyword but not sure what to promote
    I'm getting about 500 unique pageviews/day coming into the tutorials section of my website. In particular, the tutorial on how to use an MS-DOS window! It's not the main focus of my website but since I'm getting the traffic, I thought that I might as well try to do something with it. Any suggestions on what I could promote to that audience?

I tried Amazon (MS-DOS books, electronics, videogames) -- 9 sales in 2010-Q1 (~ $3.00 total). I show AdSense link units and custom search box but not much from that (~ $0.50/day).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Look through the search terms that they're using to find the page, and that might give you some ideas. Maybe some job search or online college sites? I suspect that it will be pretty hard to monetize. It might be tough to beat the $0.50/day that you would get from AdSense. That's $45/quarter, which blows away what you got from that page in Q1 from Amazon.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    I don't have a suggestions, but just wanted to say it's nice to see you hanging out here again
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Michael, I looked at the past 30 days in Google Analytics. Of the first 250 of 4345 keywords that I looked at, pretty much all relate to one aspect of MS-DOS. Can't do much with it. I never expected the traffic, so even the $0.50/day AdSense is bonus. Oh well, just wanted to see if anything could be done with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Loxly, thanks for the comment. Appreciated. ABestWeb is the best place for discussing affiliate marketing ideas.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

If your "the tutorial on how to use an MS-DOS window" is not in PDF format - consider that and then make them give you their email address for that valuable information you provide via an awebber autoresponder box on your site. You could then begin building a list of targeted visitors.

Had you done that previously those 9 people who made you $3.00 would likely buy something relevant from you again if you offered them valuable information in return.

If 50% of those 500 daily visitors opt in with their email to get your free pdf...

250 visitors X 365 days = 91,250 targeted email addresses per year you now have that you can send a monthly newsletter to over and over again.

Go to someplace like offervault.com and other networks to look for higher paying affiliate programs that are relevant.

Say you find a $10.00 commission product that you weave into your monthly newsletter and say only 3% of your subscribers decided to buy every month... 2738 subscribers (3% of your list) X $10 commissions = $27,380 per MONTH
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

GoColts, thanks for the suggestion. I've added a feedback box asking people to tell me why they want to do what they want to do, that is, what end result are they seeking to accomplish. Once I know that, I'll be better able to decide if a PDF ebook is worthwhile and, if so, what to put into it. Better to give the customers what they want, not what I think they want.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I have to put in my 2 cents here ONLY because our fearless leader just told you to be satsfied with $45.00 a quarter from a page w/ 500 page views a day.

Horse Poopy!

Send me a link to the section you are talking about to jimmy at startremodeling. c o m.

If that page is making no money for you, let's see if we can't enhance the Google Adsense cash.

I have pages w/ 500 views a day that are making well over $.45 / day.

The stats below are from an include that I put on article and instruction pages for March.

It's (2) 250x250 adsense blocks, side by side, generating over 5% CTR on the pages it appears on.

Include right 38,041 1,278 3.36% $xxx $852.20
    Include left 37,972 681 1.79% $xxx $394.15

Granted, my stuff is pretty micro-targeted, but you can do a lot better than $45 bucks a quarter.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Great suggestion, Jimmy. I'm sure you're right that the AdSense can be optimized to produce considerably better CTR and earnings. I hadn't considered that route - just the AdSense vs. affiliate marketing route.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Took a look at the page I sent you.

Go to your adsense account and create two 250x250 units.

Show ONLY text ads....

Go to your design program and create a table 600 pixels wide on that page.

Split it and add one 250x250 ad in each.

Gonna have to do something w/ the Amazon crappola..

Write some content ( short and sweet ) about DOS commands below the search function and add the new ad unit under it.

I would even add the new unit ABOVE that search function and see how that works to monetize the page.

Push all of the other stuff down the page as much as needed.

Tell me if you see any immediate results.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Tips For You
    I think if you want to promote your site then better to consult with an SEO expert and if you want to do some initial work by your own self then just go for some trade links, it will help your site publicity along with SE ranking..

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You should be able to make at least a few hundred a month with this site I would think. With respect to AdSense, placement and number of ads can be critical. Your Amazon earnings sound about right what I would expect on my own sites LOL. You might want to experiment with different products that would have appeal to your visitors until one works. Check your logs/stats to see exactly what most people were searching for that led them to your site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

New page looks good cusimano.

Let me know how it goes....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Changes/comments so far:
    1. The MS-DOS tutorial section has almost 50 pages. I took a look at Google (site:http://DOMAIN.com/DIRECTORY/) and it looks like they're all indexed by google.

2. I went back and looked closer at the amazon.com results to see what the 8 sales (~$3 total) in 2010-Q1 were for. 1 cable, 1 game controller ($1.34; ~44% of ~$3), and 6 books (2 on MS-DOS, 3 on one computer topic, 1 on another computer topic). The 3 books on one computer topic caught my attention. It's a niche topic that definitely has a demand and I will probably create a new separate website just on that one topic alone. Even found a merchant specializing on that topic with good commissions (a lot more than the AdSense $15/month). I've replaced the amazon skyscraper with a sidebar about that topic (about a dozen links to amazon categories) and also about MS-DOS/Windows (handful of amazon links).

3. On the section's homepage, I added two AdSense ad units at the top (just below the Google Custom Search box) and pushed the contents down. Also lowered the AdSense link unit that was in the header originally above an HR line; now below the HR line so more in the content portion and more visible (header change common to all pages).

4. For now I left the amazon "crapolla" (3x2 grid of MS-DOS book covers) on the section's homepage. Because of the new ad units, the covers are now below the fold.

5. I looked at the Google Analytics for my Google Custom Search Engine results page to see what people were typing in at my site. Based on that, I added an FAQ page and also more pages that answer what people are searching for. Thus the tutorial is now more complete and is more cross-linked.

The AdSense from this tutorial section is very minor compared to my other sites, but it would still be nice to double/triple it. Regardless, all this discussion is appreciated since it has lead to the possibility of creating a new separate niche website that I would not have really considered before.

Thanks.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

I think this is also a nice little case study for how content pages on the web become ad farms once Googloe starts sending traffic to them. No offense to Cusimano because I do the same thing. It just highlights a problem for Google where they try to send traffic to relevant content, but then the traffic leads to a change of the page away from the focus on relevant content.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

I wouldn't classify it as an ad farm. The section is an MS-DOS tutorial and now has ~50 pages all about MS-DOS.

Previously, I was trying different skyscraper ads (one at a time) in the sidebar and the only one that generated a sale was for videogames.

After recently analyzing Google Analytics and amazon sales stats, I changed the sidebar to contain amazon links to Windows self-help books and MS-DOS self-help books (both of interest to the visiting audience) as well as links to another computer related topic (not "MS-DOS", but amazon sales stats indicate that it is of interest to the visiting audience). The section's homepage has six MS-DOS book covers (they've been there for a while with little effect on google traffic). So in total, there's now between one and two dozen amazon computer book links on each page. They're not all about MS-DOS but they are not completely off topic either, like the amazon videogames ad was. I don't think Google will have any problem with the recent changes.

The section's pages have real content with relatively few affiliate links. So again, I don't consider it an ad farm.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Again, no offense intended.

I see the page has changed again. I saw it when there were link ads across the top, a call for a search to be done, the two side by side AdSense units, the content, and then the book recommendations from Amazon.

It looks much less spammy now.

Still, I was just trying to make a general point about how an influx of Google traffic leads many of us to make changes to our pages. Often with more ads and monetization strategies. This must drive the engineers at Google crazy.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

I would suggest getting an affiliate link to a DVD tutorial on ms dos. Try VTC I know they have a lot of computer related tutorials. And Linda.com

Quote Originally Posted by niche View Post
    I would suggest getting an affiliate link to a DVD tutorial on ms dos. Try VTC I know they have a lot of computer related tutorials. And Linda.com
    Niche,

Thanks for letting me know about vtc.com (video tutorials, 20%, 1-year cookie, 1-tier, $100 min payout). They don't have a tutorial on MS-DOS but they do have one on Windows XP and one on Windows Vista.

Linda.com goes to a generic ads site.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

I think he meant lynda.com

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    I think he meant lynda.com
    niche/ladidah, thanks for letting me know about lynda.com (with a Y ). 30 day cookie, good %, $50 min. No tutorial video about MS-DOS but the Windows Vista videos that I looked at are very good. Thanks.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread