PR3 with almost zero on page optimization
    I've watched one of my sites over the last three yrs go from zero to PR3. This particular site is quite cheesy in design and mainly all javascript with only a few keywords readable by the bots and no other text - no articles - nothing. This is also a mini site with less than 20pgs. It seems to me that the main reasons I have a PR3 site now is based on:

-anchor text from a few other PR3/4 sites linking back to my site
    -age of my domain 3 yrs
    -main niche keyword in my domain name
    -other natural links
    -daily,monthly,annual traffic pulled from sources like alexa and quantcast

This site and has been producing steady high 3 figures monthly revenue all from organic traffic.

Point - I'm not going to focus much time at all with onpage factors anymore. Build a site that's useful to targeted visitors and it seems to me that Google is able to figure that out despite what's written on our pages. Sure onpage optimization and a better design may bring higher rank and more traffic but for the time and cost spent doing that I could be developing a couple more sites instead. Plus who knows what Google will rank that site tommorow or the next update. Better to have multiple streams of income and then if you feel like it you can go back and tweak those sites that are producing for greater seo benefit.

disclaimer: I am not an seo expert but then who really is anyway.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

How did you get the links from those other PR3/4 sites? That is, did they naturally link to you because you have an excellent site and/or because you actively participated there or you asked the webmasters to add links?

Are you getting that revenue from AdSense or affiliate links? (don't mention the topic of your site or its URL).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

P.S.: In your signature, the author of that excellent quote should be "Oliver Wendell Holmes" (with an L). Thank you for sharing that quote.
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    One benefit that us older publishers w/ established sites have w/ the Goog is that we can use our sites to launch other sites.

I have been building 5 - 10 page sites for the last year that are basically no more than landing pages for niche products with several pages of information and ordering options.

Goog is showing the love to niche sites that are focused and PR3's are common.

Spruce up the site and take advantage of the traffic.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano View Post
    P.S.: In your signature, the author of that excellent quote should be "Oliver Wendell Holmes" (with an L). Thank you for sharing that quote.
    And after 30 years on the water I believe the quote should say "at anchor". We aren't picking on you really.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Pagerank has very little to do with onpage SEO.

Pagerank is decided by links and the perceived authority of those linking to you.

Your site could be Flash, Ajax, Wordpress, whatever. The SEO could be bad or good. You could be optimized for the right words or the wrong words.

If you have keep getting enough links your Pagerank will grow.

Plus the number has a severe lag with what Google thinks. And is only really important if you are going to sell a domain.

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano View Post
    How did you get the links from those other PR3/4 sites? That is, did they naturally link to you because you have an excellent site and/or because you actively participated there or you asked the webmasters to add links?

Are you getting that revenue from AdSense or affiliate links? (don't mention the topic of your site or its URL).

The meager earnings from Adsense unless you have a great deal of sites or a great deal of traffic doesn't entice me enough to spend time promoting - so no adsense here. All affiliate links.

Some of the 3/4 pr links are natural and some are from links back to my site I placed in contributions on other sites.

One way you can do this is by leveraging the authority of niche related websites to help you rank for target keywords. You can contact niche related webmasters (with PR 3 and higher) and discuss guest blog posts or guest articles with them and if your not a writer you can outsource articles to be written at elance. Submit the articles to the webmaster you contacted for review and for the free content your giving that webmaster - all you ask is for an anchor text link within that content back to your site.

You probably know this but for others reading - other leveraging can include writing relvant articles and submiting them to article directories (with high PR) with resource anchor text links pointing back to your site.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    Pagerank has very little to do with onpage SEO.
    +1 I was going to say the same thing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Nice to know about this technical stuff
    It was really nice to know this technical stuff fro this post. But I think trading high pr links is a prolific way to increase your site PR. What you say?

I agree that PR has little to do with how much traffic you are getting organically and how well your site is ranking in the SERPs. If you did not get much traffic I would leave it at that and not comment further. However, coupled with these facts that you have a keyword rich domain name and you are making money (impt) by having done little, makes me deduce that it is a niche you have found that is valued and untapped. I would say, good job. Be fruitful and multiply.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Yeah, I know....

PageRank don't mean bo-diddly...

But I have to say, when goog stripped me of a Pr6 to a 4, I was crushed.

Got a 5 back and life is better!

If Goog loves me, the world is good.

If those un-predictable tards take away everything they have helped me build over 12 plus years, I'd be digging ditches for a living...

CRAP! I do dig ditches for a living -

PR in my mind is a pat on the back from the G Meister -

EDIT!

I came here to say that Ladidah is SPOT ON..

Be fruitful and multiply.

That statement works in sooooo many ways -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread