Ok.. tonight i head into CJ.... find a merchant I wish to prmote I have already... placed a link to their site on my site.. just in case they want to see that..

I hit apply... Boom window pops up

" you have been declined"

Im like... what the fu**...!!!

How can i automatically be declined...

1. THey havent even seen my site yet?
    2. Am I missing something... But I thought We were offering to help them out???
    Dont we send them free traffic before a sale??

3. OK>.... I think ill email these Pricks and write a personal note with.. could you go and look at my site.. first... and then consider me...

BUT>...... THere is no email for them... by this time IM about to explode..... and not only get on the phone to CJ... and ask them what kind of COCK FEST do they think they are running... but also get on to the merchant and say .. i think you guyz need to at least see a bloody site before you turn people down.....

So what the hell do i do?? I am one peed of affiliate.... CJ is a utter nightmare... I spend more time.. getting turned down... automatically thena i do accepted... I feel like giving up..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hit apply... Boom window pops up

" you have been declined"

Im like... what the fu**...!!!

How can i automatically be declined... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's geographical. Some merchants auto-decline everyone that's not in their acceptance area. Usually that translates to everyone not in the US being blocked. I see your "from" line says "Ontario" so that's probably what's happening.

Sometimes an email will get you in (if you can find an email), but other times the merchant will not listen.

Yes I know that means those merchants are jerks who don't know what "WORLD WIDE Web" means!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

LastHope,

I know you're frustrated and mad about this, but consider the future problems you won't have now that you've been declined.

This merchant obviously believes a site located outside of a specific geographical area won't be able to reach its "target" customers. Nevermind that your site is available everywhere in the world. And without looking at it, they have no idea what your demographics are likely to be.

These dimwits probably run a horrid little program, since they're so small minded, so consider yourself fortunate that you discovered this up front, without wasting any time on them. Promote their competition instead.

CJ can tell merchants how wonderful the parasites are, yet they can't explain how geographical boundaries aren't necessarily a good way to decline affiliate applications.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Get used to it
    Many can't see further than their own decline button.
    Unless it is a merchant I really need I say fine, I can promote another that actually knows the web extends beyond a border and are happy to have my sales
    I have a stock letter I use asking if they would reconsider since I get US trafffic, but for the most part over the past year, I have said forget it, and moved on. Don't need the grief

ALSO: within CJ is an area where you can post the emphasis(s) for your individual sites. you might see what you have there anyway, since it can be a factor. (I think)

Hey Hope,

Just so ya know it's not just CJ. I applied to a merchant on link share and got the same type of pop up message. So I kindly sent them an email asking them to at least look at my site before they tell me no. Still have not heard back.

Spider Man

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Automatic decline based on the business address of the affiliate is the DUMBEST THING EVER. Like I only build sites that people from Cancun visit. DOH!!!!

This annoys me like NOTHING ELSE.

It wouldn't be so bad if CJ TOLD US IN ADVANCE what iddiot merchants do this, so I don't have to waste my time applying to them.

In fact, I'd prefer it if the system was able to filter these morons out completely so I NEVER HAVE TO SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.

Any merchant that firmly believes that websites only get visitors from the geographic location that the webmaster lives in are TOTAL ****ING MORONS (excuse my French, but really!).

Agreed. People in the US tend to forget it is the WORLD Wide Web.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    but most of the time, the traffic is not supposed to be WORLD wide, a lot of merchants can not ship outside the US, some can't even ship to alaska and hawaii.

So it must be known to the merchants that affiliates may be physically located outside their market, but that does not mean that they are not able to sell where the market, precisely because this is the world wide web.

It seems CJ, and other networks should have a field within their application forms, where a publisher is required to let the network and merchants know which geographical region/market they intend to target their web-sites towards.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Wow, that really is stupid

Surely, every affiliate is a bonus for the company?

More links = more PR = more potential sales.

Its basic logic.. the more people you have cross promoting your products (even if they only put a couple of sales through a week), the better.. as its more money for them (and us, obviously ).

I've kinda turned away from CJ.com a bit. I'm in the UK, and get declined from so many programs, its depressing. I've now turned to other means of earning (not as profitable, but it keeps me going).

I guess its just how our luck goes

Cheers

ABW Ambassador
    I would imagine it also has to do with enforceability of contracts. What if some affiliate from Korea spams their program so heavily, the merchant's provider pulls the plug?

They can sue a US affiliate for damages, they are powerless against the Korean affiliate. Same goes for trying to cheat the program etc.

Chet

Very true ... but why would anyone want to block UK affiliates? I know we are not a huge country, and we don't have anywhere near as many sites on the WWW compared to other countries... but our legal system should be able to stop spammers/abusers of the networks ... so why block us? Korea, Iraq, India, etc... I would class as "fair" (I'm sad to say I've been stung by people from each of these countries before), but prime countries like the UK, France, and other EU sites.. why????

Sorry... just venting now I have this on my mind

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Newby:
    More links = more PR = more potential sales.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite! Unles you are using in-house affiliate software, affiliate links do not point directly to the merchant site, they point to the affiliate network's tracking server, so no PR is passed to the merchant from affiliate sites.

Interesting article on InternetRetailer today Fear of fraud is keeping e-retailers out of global sales "Among medium and large online merchants, 41% do not accept overseas orders".

thanks for the replies guyz..

now time for more rants... LOL

The though that a merchant would confine themselves to having people only within their demographic area promote them is NOBISH!!..

If i had a business..... I wouldnt care if I only shipped around the corner... I would love someone in russia, brazil, america, mexico or australia to get the word out and drive traffic to my site...

I really think there is some gay information being given to merchants by CJ and cj has some answering to do.... along with linkshare.. I mean those guyz are just queer. I rarelyhave been accepted into their programs... so then we are left at the mercy of affiliate programs outside of cj... where affiliate managers can take some of the money you make and pocket it and put it all under the banner of

REFUNDS and RETURNS .. YEAH BOLLOCKSS!!!!! do you really think we are that stupid... I am slowly becoming leary of affiliate managers and there sleazy tactics.... they must think us affiliate are all nobs that host with GEOCITIES lol..... well i have stopped myself from swearing as i feel like beathing the livign daylights out of some peopel LOL l;;;;;;;;

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah. Like. Whaaatevah.

LastHope <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I really think there is some gay information being given to merchants by CJ and cj has some answering to do.... along with linkshare.. I mean those guyz are just queer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you in junior high? Seriously, I haven't heard gay or queer used in that context since I left the company of 8th grade boys.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    High School, actually.

LastHope,

I have a message for you from the eighties:

They'd like their terminology back, like right away, dude...

Honestly, I think some people put down the formula bottle and then get on the computer and come straight to ABW! Parents, move those high chairs away from the computers!!

Andy

We run a network, so I can say from experience that there's a higher likelyhood of affiliate fraud when dealing with affiliates from certain countries.

Do not accept ALL affiliates from those areas, and your fraud levels drop significantly.

Canada's not one of those areas though.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Newby:
    but prime countries like the UK, France, and other EU sites.. why????

Sorry... just venting now I have this on my mind

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U.K.and other EU sites I will agree with you on.

But France I would have to think about.

{just kidding Frenchies}

ABW Ambassador
    I've noticed that there are times that while my husband has been automatically approved for a merchant, I haven't been, or, in other cases, where it's manual, he gets approved a lot faster.

I attribute that to his being at 5bars and my being demoted to 4. Maybe that's what happened in this case. I can't see canadian affiliates being a problem.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Surely, every affiliate is a bonus for the company? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy - not necessarily true, as there are a lot of merchants and AMs that are moving towards smaller, more focused programs due to some of the problems and issues that are on the Merchant side of things. While it is probably true that one individual application or affiliate does not complicate their job - the combination of hundreds and thousands of them does. There are lots of debates and differing points of view on how best to manage this particular issue... and merchants can be found on both sides.

LastHope - The bottom line on this is that it is up to the merchant to run their program the way they feel is best. If you don't like the way they run their application process, you probably wouldn't like other things about their program and you should just move on to another.

These aren't personal decisions ...this is business for everyone involved and there are likely valid business reasons, such as the one that Chez Noir mentioned, behind their philosophy on this. The climate in the industry has changed from one of "accept everyone" to being very selective and protective against things like fraud, ppc bidding on trademarks, etc... merchants are simply, overall, becoming more selective....and for that matter, i would argue that affiliates (in general) are doing the same.

Obviously, I realize that there are a lot of issues that are of importance to affiliates such as the Parasite issues, cookie stuffing, etc... etc... but you have to realize that there are equally important and difficult issues on the Merchant side of things, and they have to do what they feel is the best course of business for them as well.

If you feel your site is one that would be productive, send them an email - suggest not using the offensive language - and see what happens. If not, move on - you can't really say that you would do something differently than this particular merchant unless you have been in their situation.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Whilst all our programs accept people from every country there are a few locations that get far more closely checked and watched than others purely due to the amount of affiliate fraud that comes from these locations, and I'm talking people buying and return products to grab commission here, not credit card fraud.

However at the same time these same countries have some excellent partners who drive great business for us.

For some merchants it's a matter of focusing on the known rather than learning the unknown, a business deicision that may be based on budget, man power or other factors.

Merchants have the ability to auto filter applications by a range of different criteria. The most common being

- Geographic Location
    - Traffic
    - Key Words

Mostly I find these don't work, because the guys who are seriusly into fraud sign up with false address info and then change it after they have been accepted, especially on merchants who auto accept affiliate applications.

As Brian says, if you can't get in mail the merchant and have them approve you. If they decide not to reply, don't waste time worrying about them, their loss, move on to the next merchant until you find the merchants that have a broader vision.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread