My thoughts, opinions and predictions about Directories – Search Engines and their future.

Frankly, I don’t give a hoot about directories – human edited or otherwise! This includes the likes of The Open Directory, Zeal and Yahoo etc. With today’s search engine technologies, directories with all their categories (and clicking) are simply obsolete dinosaurs!

When the Internet first started and search engine technology was in its infant development stages directories were a good idea, they were ok back then. Yahoo did good and gained a loyal following. But then along came Google and others.

Today, directories are old fashioned and completely unnecessary. I am not a scholar, however, directories may still be needed by them to ensure that no promotional adjectives and the like are included in descriptions of academic and other such special interest websites.

But today’s average Internet user can’t be bothered with clicking and drilling down click by click to find the information-resource they want. They think like I do – just type in what I’m interested in and the search engine should automatically deliver it to me.

I expect, even enjoy promotional hype adjectives in website descriptions and pages. It’s more interesting than by the book canned stuff descriptions. What I don’t want is to be deceived by completely irreverent descriptions for websites. And today’s search engines, such as Google do a great job at minimizing that – good enough to keep me satisfied and happily coming back for more.

My Predictions

Yahoo and their group of Pay For Inclusion, Bid For Rank and Pay Per Click, and all other such companies that follow this model will end up the way IBM did in the PC market. They will quickly and steadily loose their dominance, lead and market share.
    (Yahoo and companies will soon be charging $300 for listing plus .15 to .30 cents per click). Think bottom line here - Ouch!

Google and their Free Inclusion, Pay for Relevant Targeted Adsense Ads with revenue sharing model will survive like HP and Compaq etc. did in the PC market. They will gain market share and will even dominate for a while.

But, somewhere out there, there is a young person that sees fertile ground – an opportunity to create and dominate. I believe the creation will be more inline with the Google model than Yahoo’s. This person and his/her company will come out of nowhere to dominate Internet Search just like Michel Dell and his Dell Computer company did to end up the biggest PC seller in the world.

In writing for future reference – my thoughts, opinions and predictions.

The real question is – who among us will survive!

Only time and events will tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> his/her company will come out of nowhere to dominate Internet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. That's where Google came from. History tends to repeat itself.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I think you are right Indy. But I do believe that sites that have keywords in their domain names will prosper. EG.shopping,food, and it goes on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But today’s average Internet user can’t be bothered with clicking and drilling down click by click to find the information-resource they want. They think like I do – just type in what I’m interested in and the search engine should automatically deliver it to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it when people make blanket statements like that.

Until google (and others) can develop thier systems to the point where they actually catch 100% of the cloaked/doorway page spammers, there will always be a place for human-edited directories. Just last week we were looking for some specialized equipment for another division we are launching in August, and only found it after looking through the yahoo/DMOZ directories. The fact (especially these day) that a site does not appear in google's top 20 results certainly does not mean that site is of no value. The veder we finally purchased from couldn't be found in the first 300 serps for his relevant keyphrase, yet had the best equipment, at he best prices, AND was (IMO) the best choice for what we were looking for. Were it not for a human-editor, we would have never found him.

Erik

ABW Ambassador
    Google will become a portal like Yahoo and MSN. Gmail is just one step in that direction.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Gmail, Froogle, IPO, AdWords, AdSense, ...

Like in ancient Rome and many other places, there's a natural inclination for all large organizations to spread towards "too large" - to think they can do it all and be everywhere... They are the herd. They are the water buffaloes!

Thankfully, remaining small and focused allows us affiliates to have virtually no downside risk and yet remain nimble enough to change at a moments notice... We are the cheetahs!

And in most offices, where the working stiffs toil away for nothing, you can see the herd mentality at work in everything that happens.

In my office, and here at ABW (very limited, but real cooperation among cheetahs towards hunting prey), it just plain smells better.

Here's to everyone else growing too big for the britches!!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The way I see it, though, small, niche directories will become ever more popular. Whether it is simply some professor somewhere who has created a site on the topic I am looking for, or an affiliate site that truly covers a topic well, this will end up being the easiest way to find what I am looking for.

If I am looking for a 'blueberry widget', I don't necessarily want to read through how person1 likes blueberry widgets, or Larry Blueberry likes widgets. Chances are, I want to buy a 'blueberry widget', so I want a human edited directory that specializes in widgets or links to blueberry widget manufacturers.

Which is us.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

well put Elbow Creek!Niche markets. I believe Gordon is a prime example of a niche site.Another successful one is abestweb.

ABW Ambassador
    "Yahoo and their group of Pay For Inclusion, Bid For Rank and Pay Per Click, and all other such companies that follow this model will end up the way IBM did in the PC market. They will quickly and steadily loose their dominance, lead and market share."

Yahoo is not going anywhere. Right now their search is as good as Google and some may argue better. I've seen it both ways depending on the search. They also have "stickiness" People go there for other reasons and if they want to search for something they're going to go ahead and use the search there.

As far as someone new coming up to dominate, it's possible but doubtful. Yahoo, Google and MSN are pretty strong and would just beat them or buy them. They are buying up everything now and i see those 3 dominating for a long time.

"But I do believe that sites that have keywords in their domain names will prosper"

SE's are all over that, whatever factor they are now can only drop.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread