Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone using 3.0 Beta 1?
    I'm setting up a new domain, brand new site, and I'm going to use WordPress. I have the option, via my web host, of installing 3.0 Beta 1 instead of 2.9.2.

Anyone using the beta yet? Is it stable enough for a live site? The site I'm building isn't going to be massive or very complicated, or honestly, very heavily visited. I'm usually pretty anti-beta for live sites though, so I need a tiny bit of convincing I'll be using the Thesis framework, so if there are any issues that anyone's aware of when using Thesis with the beta, I'd love to know about them.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I vote 3.0 only so you can let us know what you like / dislike about it for the benefit of the rest of us!

Like many, I don't upgrade until an upgrade has been out for a while just to make sure its stable. I think if you don't mind a bug every once in a while, go for it! But if you want hassle free, stick with the older version.

Don't even know there is such a thing.

But it sounds like it is a major update so most likely more changes will be happening once Beta is over.

All depends on how much time you want to spend tweaking things I guess.

You could also be THE expert that everyone will go to for 3.0 advice and get updates of all the changes

Yeah, that's my usual reasoning. But I figured since going from one major release to another along an upgrade path can be troublesome, it might be worth starting with 3.0 instead.

But if enough people say I should give it a shot and I try it, I'll definitely report back my findings.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    "Early next week, we’re hoping to release the 2nd beta release of WordPress 3.0 on our journey toward the final version. There are still over 200 bugs in the 3.0 milestone, and we can use all the help we can get on fixing these problems."

I admire your bravery, I wish you well.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    If you have to build up the site go with 3.0. That way if you are designing a plugin or a theme it should be easier to upgrade.

I am going to wait for a stable version though.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I'm usually pretty anti-beta for live sites though, so I need a tiny bit of convincing
    You know you want to. Go for it!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    I would not do it for an old site with lots of plugins or modified themes but I'll pick 3.0 Beta 1 for a new site without hesitation. Anyway, you'll have to upgrade soon, so don't waste your time with an old version. The 200 bugs are mostly compatibility problems.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Personally I am really surprised your webhost is offering it to you.

I had one host that had a 4 month lag for new versions.

If I wanted the latest thing I had to install it myself.

It probably wont work with Thesis unless you are using a version of the theme that is very new.

If you really want everything to work I probably wouldnt. If you are jsut messing around you could go for it.

2.9.2 is pretty good and everything works....

Well... I did it. I can report a few things. First, it's definitely different - it's still familiar, but it's different enough that it will take people a while to figure out what went where and all the new features (some of which are disabled or have a "this is a beta, and this will change" message). Second, I can tell you that it works with Thesis 1.7. The only plugin I have installed is OpenHook, which I wouldn't use Thesis without. Lastly, the new default theme is great - it's actually a theme I can imagine people will want to use, unlike the old default. It looks a lot like Cutline, if you're familiar with that... with a big image across the top and the right sidebar where it is. That's not a negative... they couldn't come up with a new default without it looking like an existing theme (with so many thousands of them out there).

I know, it's not much, but it's a start

I've done no other customization yet, but like I said, it's going to be a very basic setup, not too complicated. Like Zeus said, I wouldn't put it on an existing site, but I'm glad I put it on a fresh domain. I'll report back as I learn more.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I've done no other customization yet, but like I said, it's going to be a very basic setup, not too complicated. Like Zeus said, I wouldn't put it on an existing site, but I'm glad I put it on a fresh domain. I'll report back as I learn more.
    What I would really like to know for sure about the planned new features in WP 3.0 is how that network feature works.

I've read a couple of things about it here and there on the Internet, and I cannot seem to get the straight skinnies on on point in particular:

Does 3.0's new Network feature allow you to set up more than one blog ON DIFFERENT DOMAINS to administer from one install's dashboard?

Or is the Network function limited to subdomains and subdirectories of the single domain you have it installed on at a particular server/web hosting account?
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    writerguy,
    I believe they just merged MU and changed some menu options. I'm going to wait until it is released. We all know there will be several bug fix versions the weeks following release anyway!

I only use beta for my test projects (I use the word "project" for whatever I am working on ). This applies whether it's a platform or a software, etc. I do not want to risk disrupting my already-functioning projects. While it's possible to roll back/restore, it takes time and time is not something I have so much of.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post

Does 3.0's new Network feature allow you to set up more than one blog ON DIFFERENT DOMAINS to administer from one install's dashboard?

Or is the Network function limited to subdomains and subdirectories of the single domain you have it installed on at a particular server/web hosting account?
    Same as MU. Subdomains or subdirectories. You can always use your own dns to point urls to the domains, there is a tutorial somewhere, but I would wait for 3.0 to be released.

For exisiting sites I am getting them all upgraded to 2.9.2, including my MU sites, and then will go with 3.0 as soon as it is out of beta, maybe wait for a point release.

I'm dying to give it a try but am going to wait until after the code sprint this week. I will put it on a brand new site, not existing, until fully tested. We use quite a few plugins, plus I want Buddy Press to be released to be compatible. I anticipate that will be just a week or two.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant View Post
    writerguy,
    I believe they just merged MU and changed some menu options. I'm going to wait until it is released. We all know there will be several bug fix versions the weeks following release anyway!
    I might be the only one, but what is MU?

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    I might be the only one, but what is MU?
    WordPress MU is the multi-user version of WordPress, where you can run multiple blogs from one install.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

FYI - Beta 2 is out now. You can download the full zip or use the beta tester plugin and get it.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Thanks, I will have to check it out. Looks great so far (besides the bugs)
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

I wouldnt
    I would use the beta as a test example on a directory of one of your existing sites if you have enough time but if you dont save yourself time and stress by using the already stable 2.9.2. Cheers hope you the best if using beta still.

http and a telephoto
    I just used the beta tester plugin to upgrade a new install of 2.9.2 to 3.0 beta whatever the nightly releases are up to and I like it. The new theme is great, like Daniel said it is like Cutline which is clean and easy to use. Easy to change background color and header image, so sites won't look all Kubricky anymore

Upgrading instead of installing fresh I didn't get the option to install it like MU, it is not a multi-blog install. I did install some plugins, including BuddyPress and everything seems to be working well.

I may start a thread about developing the site (there will be no affiliate marketing on the site, but our own products possibly.) It is a site about birding and will have a wp shopping cart as a test and I think it might be an interesting case study for folks to follow along with. What do you think?
    Deborah Carney

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'm so glad they are getting a new default theme. I never liked the old default theme anything like Cutline would be great!

I believe to enable MU features on a non-mu install you have to add a constant to your wp-config file (although that could change before it leaves beta). If I find the page I'll come back and post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    ......I may start a thread about developing the site (there will be no affiliate marketing on the site, but our own products possibly.) It is a site about birding and will have a wp shopping cart as a test and I think it might be an interesting case study for folks to follow along with. What do you think?
    I think that may be helpful to a lot of people.

If you are willing to lead by example and I can squeeze in the time, I might try following your example. Even though I have a lot of sites using the WP platform I still have a LOT to learn.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant View Post
    I'm so glad they are getting a new default theme. I never liked the old default theme anything like Cutline would be great!

I believe to enable MU features on a non-mu install you have to add a constant to your wp-config file (although that could change before it leaves beta). If I find the page I'll come back and post a link.
    Thanks, I remember they posted the instructions. I guess my post was more of a "if you want to use it as multi-blog wait or install not using the beta test plugin". That page would be helpful to test out the new features though

I'm seeing a LOT of BuddyPress sites overall, it is so easy to make WP into a social network now. That is another site I'll be testing, but one thing at a time

Bill - I will post my site later. I think it will be good just to show people how to use a wordpress shopping cart plugin, there are a lot of people that have just a few things to sell that a full shopping cart install would be overkill for. And it's a way to "test the waters" for people that maybe want to think about selling their own stuff. Kindof like a stepping stone to having (or seeing if you need) a "real store".

People are getting used to the social media and blog looking types of sites and may tend to shop at the sites that their "friends" create. Especially crafty type stuff and downloads. WP 3.0 has a lot of support and the leading edge plugin creators are taking advantage of using the platform to create systems that people need or have requested. Like shopping carts and galleries.

NextGen Gallery and WP e-commerce both work with WP 3.0 B2.

To get a quick peek at the new default theme go to http://cool-birds.com I changed the header image, it ships with 5-6 header images you can choose from or you can load your own. I'll be changing that site theme probably in about a week, so take a look quick

Edited to add: thread started:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133242
    Last edited by loxly; May 23rd, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Deborah Carney

Release Candidate 1 for Wordpress 3.0 has just come out:

http://wordpress.org/development/201...ase-candidate/

Okay...a release candidate I would be much more comfortable with. I believe I am going to check that out.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast