Need Ideas For Investment Site
    I have an investment domain and forum that isn't gaining traction.

I'm wondering if the ABW community could provide some help in brainstorming ideas for a new strategy and business model.

The domain name is based on a buy and hold strategy of passive investing.

Since the domain name reflects a passive investment strategy, I understand why I don't have people on the site each day talking about issues, stocks, and trades.

The domain name and my own investment philosophy leads me to create a site that convinces people they should save money every month and then invest that money by: paying off debt, establishing an emergency savings fund, getting 401K matching funds, maxing out mutual/index funds, etc...

My first thought is to create a guide that lays out the instructions and rationale for investing every month. I would have affiliate links to a bank where they could start making automated deposits and also an affiliate link to some sort of mutual/index fund.

My problem is that the guide would be fairly small and wouldn't change very much. The possibility for search traffic seems low. The possibility for PPC traffic also seems low since there is a lot of competition in the investment area. Also, the traffic would pretty much be one and done.

I was also thinking that maybe I should use the domain name to start my own investment bank. I have no idea how I would do this, but it would allow me to make more money and keep the customers I attract.

Any thoughts or other ideas for an investment domain name?

Thanks
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

As one who saves regularly via several different products/vehicles, I would be attracted to a site that had links to articles, opinions on articles, summary of news and trends which would support my philosophy. I know I am biased, but a content rich blog which is updated with great useful categories would be the ticket for me to bookmark and revisit, and perhaps even sign up for a bi-monthly newsletter.

Talk to one or two of your local investment guru's. See if they would be willing to put together an investing FAQ and/or write a small weekly or bi-weekly investing article.

Thanks for your ideas!

I have thought about doing a blog, but I think it will run into the same problem as the forum. There just isn't enough new (daily) information when talking about a passive investment philosophy. Also, I want each visitor to be presented with the argument from the beginning when they arrive rather than seeing the latest post on a specific topic.

I think my main goal is to convince people they need to start investing and then show them how they should get started. Since my goal is to show them they don't need to be active traders, I wouldn't expect them to revisit my site very often after the initial argument and action is done.

I keep thinking this will be best achieved with a stationary guide that will have all the arguments and supporting information. I will add links and articles over time, but I would want to keep the navigation set up according to the argument (and conversion flow) rather than based on presenting the latest information first in a blog format.

I would monetize it with ads and with bank savings accounts.

I'm just not sure how I will get traffic to the guide.

I'm also open to other suggestions.

Even though I am a "slow and steady" investor there is still a ton of data/news/ideas/articles I read on a consistent basis. If you were a solid source for that you would find a niche.
    What's happening with CD interest rates?
    What's the difference between variable, indexed, and fixed annuities?
    Should I invest the equity in my home in something more stable?
    What are the FDIC insurance limits? How do they affect my accounts at the same institution?

And those are just 'off the cuff'.... blog baby blog.

lindy

I consider myself a longer term, slow and steady investor as well, but I doubt any of us invest in the same ways, the same industries, etc. There are endless opportunities for new ideas and insights, even when considering longer term strategies.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

If the problem is traffic to your site then I have a few questions:

1) Just how much search traffic IS THERE for your topic and how do you know?

2) Just how much (link) juice do the sites that rank for your topic possess? That is, will you ever be able to compete in the SERPs?

3) Regarding UGC, if your forum is a bust is it because it has no traffic OR because no visitor's stop to post? Do you require registration? At the risk of having to deal with spam you might run a non-reg-to-post test to see IF registration is one of your issues.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

Thanks for your additional responses.

The investment forum gets some traffic from search engines, but the traffic bounces immediately. I have tried numerous things such as changing designs, colors, calls to actions, etc...

I use the exact same design on a forum in a different niche. The search traffic comes in and is more active. This leads me to believe the investment traffic from search engines (numerous keywords/phrases) is either looking for something specific they aren't finding or they are looking for professional advice and react poorly when they see a forum format.

Either way, I have too many forums and need to make some cuts. The investment forum isn't working out so I will probably close it down.

I also realized I don't have a passion for adding daily content for an investment site. This is one reason why blogging is not high on my options list. I own a few forums in different niches I enjoy writing content for. I also make more money on these forums so I will focus on them from now on.

I still like the investment domain name so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

Again, my favorite option is to build a guide that convinces people they need to start investing, but I'm not sure how I would do this and get traffic to it.
    Last edited by OICUAM2; May 2nd, 2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Is the domain name "good enough" to sell privately or at auction? There might be dollars there for you which would take you years to reach in website revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    There just isn't enough new (daily) information when talking about a passive investment philosophy. Also, I want each visitor to be presented with the argument from the beginning when they arrive rather than seeing the latest post on a specific topic.

I think my main goal is to convince people they need to start investing and then show them how they should get started. Since my goal is to show them they don't need to be active traders, I wouldn't expect them to revisit my site very often after the initial argument and action is done.
    IMHO, it seems that you're arguing against yourself. If people find your site, they're already interested in learning how to invest...you don't need to convince them, but focus on showing them how.

1. People tend to focus more when they have a goal. Show them how to realistically set long-term goals (paying off mortgage, reduce credit card debt, save for children's college funds, save for retirement, save for first home).

2. How to cut down expenses to save $$$ (switch to VoIP phone, add solar energy to home & get credits...the list is endless here & so are the monetization opportunities).

3. Show them how/best ways to passively invest.

4. It should be a blog...info should be updated continuely. This is not a static, "stationary" subject. You WANT return visitors...you're dead in the water without a site that gets return visitors. As Lindy Rig says, "blog baby blog." +1

5. Work with a programmer to develop an online system that they can monitor their financial goals, charge a membership fee (OK, that's a bit ambitious).

Regarding convincing people they need to start investing: those folks aren't even looking for this info. Who's gonna Google "not interested in passive investing but convince me?" People search for what they're interested in. You can't get traffic for what people aren't seeking.

IMHO, you need to switch your perspective a bit.

6. With a blog, you can have a static first page. Use it to provide info + links to first-time readers, and also include your current posts summaries. Let people find the info they want to, rather than you attempting to control what you think everyone should read first all the time.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    The search traffic comes in and is more active. This leads me to believe the investment traffic from search engines (numerous keywords/phrases) is either looking for something specific they aren't finding or they are looking for professional advice and react poorly when they see a forum format.
    "Numerous keywords/phrases" is far too vague to jump to the conclusions you're jumping to. What specific keywords and phrases are generating the bulk of the traffic? Which pages are they landing on?

The investment forum gets some traffic from search engines, but the traffic bounces immediately. I have tried numerous things such as changing designs, colors, calls to actions, etc...
    What about the value proposition? What do I get out of your forums that I won't find elsewhere?

It is such an exciting time to invest, especially for anyone looking for long term opportunities. Are you capturing any of that excitement? I wouldn't suggest going all hype like the Motley Fool, but look at what those guys sell their reports for. Some hype is obviously profitable, and still possible even when talking about longer term investing.

I bought a stock maybe a year and a half ago looking strictly at long term potential. I spent $0.45 a share. Today it's over $16.00 a share and has historically been over $60.00! It's up over 3500% already! 10 years from now, who knows...? It's exciting, it's long term and I sure hope to rinse and repeat.

Don't sell your subject matter short. If your site can help me find more long term winners or stocks with solid dividends, etc, etc, I'd be interested.
    Eathan Mertz

Hi Eathan

The search traffic bouncing has dumbfounded me for a couple of years now. It really is a whole bunch of keywords/phrases leading to related forum posts. For example, someone searches for "cash in series EE patriot bond" and lands on a forum post titled "how to cash a series ee patriot bond" and then they immediately bounce. Google Analytics shows no time on site, no other pages visited and shows it as a bounce. This is the same for many different searches, keywords, and forum posts. ???

Since the traffic was bouncing, I tried putting ads in all sorts of positions to at least get a few ad clicks, but no luck there either.

The site is on the Ning platform. Members get a profile page, blog, etc... while also being able to post forum discussions, videos, events and also make groups for investing clubs or specific interests.

Ning is raising prices so I need to decide if it is worth paying the higher price or kill off the site.

I'm also wondering if the forum/social network model is worth investing in. I come to this site all the time to share and find information. I rarely click on an ad. Maybe 2 or three in the past four years? This is one of the top forums for this topic and yet there isn't the amount of activity here I would expect from such a well known forum.

zero time on site is pretty strange. It almost sounds more like bot traffic, or traffic that made the request and then got booted for whatever reason. Have you dug into the raw server logs? Can you access them?

Community sites are tricky. I've paid for advertising here a few times, but like you I haven't clicked much, nor am I subscribed to the email list. You might take a look at sites like seeking alpha for investment community ideas.

If it's down to monetize or close because of rising costs, I'd go with a blog or try to sell the site.

Best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread