For the last few weeks, I was making 2-4 sales per day every day with a merchant, with the odd day in the very beginning having just one sale until I found the right combination. Then sales were steady.

It seemed that most of my sales came early in the morning/afternoon. Then it didn't matter how many clicks I sent that merchant for the rest of the day I rarely saw another sale, if any. Most of my clicks came later in the day, sometimes being twice and more the number of earlier clicks that generated the last sale, but no new sales.

Two days ago I sent an email to the merchant casually mentioning this. It was not a complaining email by any means. They replied back right away and they said they would look into it if I thought it was a pattern. They also mentioned other promotions they had that I might want to consider offering my customers.

I replied back saying thank you for replying so quickly, yes I do seem to see a pattern in my sales, maybe there's really nothing wrong and it's just the way people buy, who knows, and asked if I advertised their promotions from their email marketing if affiliates would get credited for the sales if people bought anything, because I would push that too since customers could win products if they signed up.

I never heard back from them. It's been 2.5 days now since my last sale and I haven't seen a single sale since. Number of clicks they're getting is still pretty steady, same keywords that generate the majority of sales, but zero new sale.

I have never been this long without a sale with this particular merchant since the very first week I joined them a few months ago. I read the board and found a thread where people had little positive to say about them. Good thing I didn't read that thread first or I would have never joined them. But I'm glad I did join them, I was doing really well with that merchant.

Until now...

Not sure if there is suspicious activity somewhere or if it's just my bad luck. One minute I'm convinced I pissed them off and they turned tracking off on me, the next minute I tell myself I'm totally paranoid and that's just how it is right now and it's nobody's fault - it's just a coincidence. But I find it a little strange to say the least that my sales came to a sudden halt the minute I contacted them asking about a sales pattern.

Catwoman

Sounds suspicious to me. I myself don't believe in coincidences as the example you give above where sales seem to be coming in on a regular basis until that email you sent along with the pattern you talk about.

But then, I have been suspicious with much that goes on the internet for some time where transparency of any kind is non-existent. A hell of a way to do business where smart business people wouldn't even go in the offline world.

What to do, and how to prove anything is the question. Trusting people by trust alone without any kind of transparency is a rough thing to do when greed is so tempting due to almost no way of getting caught. Reason I have been thinking about my own product(s)

If you ask me, any input on your situation would be pure speculation.

Will still be interesting to hear what others have to say though.....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Unless the merchant does batch reporting they can't single out an affiliate from the network reporting tag. On/Off switches don't work that way. Traffic usually peaks from 4-7PM so thta period is usually the place where the off switch impacts cookie setting.

Run a test purchase during that time frame or ask others here if they see the same pattern for this particular merchant.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catwoman:
    I read the board and found a thread where people had little positive to say about them. Good thing I didn't read that thread first or I would have never joined them. But I'm glad I did join them, I was doing really well with that merchant.

Until now...

Catwoman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUMMMM If there was negative feed back concerning a merchant MORE times that not its valid!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That smells!

"Unless the merchant does batch reporting they can't single out an affiliate from the network reporting tag.~Mike"

The key is in that part that I bolded. Sounds to me like it's a batcher and your transactions are "finding" a black hole on the way to the network.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Seems to me.

You did absolutely nothing to make them mad, and sales coming in every day during the same time frame just doesn't make sense. If they batched transactions, and posted every day at the same time, that's one thing. But to have the sales themselves always show up in the same time period seems strange.

A agree with Sandra, negative postings about a merchant here at ABW are usually something you want to pay attention to.

Andy

Well it's been 3 days now and not a single sale... I really don't know what's wrong.

I don't think they batch transactions because sales would show up at various times, not all at once, although mainly early in the day.

I have never been suspicious of a merchant before until now. I normally blame my site, my ads, or get frustrated with people who just won't buy. I don't even blame Norton or parasites. But this time I can't help but wonder what the hell is going on with this merchant.

I just turned all advertising off for them. No sense paying to send them traffic if I don't see any sales for it. Based on my history with that merchant, I should have had several sales by now.

Maybe it is just the way it is and people are just not spending, I would still like to believe that. But this is just too much of a coincidence, even for me this time.

I would love to make a test purchase, however, they don't ship to Canada. Or I would have by now.

I still have trouble believing that a merchant would be this vindictive, and I don't know how it could be done. I'm thinking that if they disabled my links that clicks wouldn't show either, if that could be done at all.

Strange to say the least...

Catwoman

Hi Catwoman,

Is this a CJ Advertiser?

I'm having a similar problem with one of my usually better performing CJ Advertisers. Sales slowed down at the beginning of the 2nd week of June and disappeared on June 14.

This happened once before in April and when I contacted AaQ regarding whether my links were working, etc. (they advised everything looked fine) sales reappeared the next day.

I contacted AaQ again, this time, but sales Did not reappear, so I changed the PID on my links and guess what? Sales/commissions started showing up.

It's been stated that a CJ Advertiser Cannot shut-off a particular Publisher's sales or divert their sales/commission, so what's happening?

Why wouldn't the Old PID track sales -- it tracked clicks just fine. I Don't believe it's coinciendence that sales/commission started back up at the same time I changed PID's --

Any theories anyone?

When I get a sale with a CJ merchant, I wonder what went wrong! LOL Actually no it's not a CJ merchant, it's a SAS merchant of all networks!

I got ONE sale in the last 4+ days and it showed up early evening last night, the MOST inopportune time to get a sale with this merchant - it was also shortly after I emailed support at SAS, not sure if it has anything to do with this. Maybe I'll have another sale show up after supper tonight...?

After getting sales every day for weeks, now down to one sale in over 4 days and early evening at that, you'd better believe that I am suspicious. This is way too much of a coincidence. And still no word from the merchant...

Since I got sales with other SAS merchants during that time, I know it's not the network that is at fault. I cannot get another ID at SAS, everything is handled under one.

We'll see what tonight brings...

Catwoman

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Catwoman,

We got your email, and Mike (Support) is looking into it. I took a quick peak at the merchant's overall performance and didn't see anything to suggest any suspicious activity as of late (or ever) ... my gut tells me it is just a cold streak on this... but as I said, Mike is looking into it...

If you have more concerns, I would definitely email the merchant again... I know the person running the program and an email from one of their affiliates is always welcome...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks Brian, I got the reply from support yesterday.

In 5.5 days I only had 2 sales with I don't know how many hits and one sale showed up in mid afternoon while the other was early evening.... Funny when my email to the merchant was about not getting sales at those times of day. No sales at all in the morning in those 5 days!

This morning I wake up with only 9 hits and 2 sales already. Everything seems to be back to "normal". This is what I've been seeing nearly every day for the last several weeks. I wonder after all the hits they get for the rest of the day how many more sales will show up. Based on history, probably none unless they all come in before noon or shortly after.

Catwoman

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread