Best Buy no longer commissioning laptops and netbooks
    Just got this email.
    Like many other retailers, Best Buy is making a conscious effort to ensure that the affiliate program is profitable. Due to Best Buy’s competitive pricing, we are no longer able to offer commissions on laptops and netbooks.
    For your convenience, we have provided the current commission structure by category below. The new program term will be sent to you today and you must accept within 7 days (by 5/3/2010), or your affiliation with the program will be expired.

Good reason to promote other companies.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

we are no longer able to offer commissions on laptops and netbooks
    But they can maintain the high rent costs of anchor spaces in every major mall. Fact is, the affiliate channel is probably more profitable for them than the B&M channel. They're just looking to cut corners, and chiseling affiliates is the avenue of least cost and liability.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I would care about this except for the fact they dropped me because I went 4 months without a sale once. I appealed and they said they'd consider letting me back in when my sales improved. I briefly thought about pointing out the absurdity in that statement, but figured why waste my time...
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Sounds to me like they are looking for free traffic. Unfortunately (for affiliates) I'm sure they will be getting it. I wonder how many of those emails are either missed or not acted on and forgotten about. Shame on BestBuy.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yeah Bill, that's why I quoted the part about the new program terms. It is listed as the last paragraph and for those of us who like to skim emails, it would be easily missed.
    consider letting me back in when my sales improved. I briefly thought about pointing out the absurdity in that statement, but figured why waste my time...
    Not a clue.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Thanks for the post, missed this email. I get so many emails a day it easy to miss a few.

Another way for merchants to rip off affiliates with free traffic.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to pimp my own programs in a circumstance like this, so does someone want to give a list of programs that do offer commissions on laptops and netbooks, along with appropriate commission levels?

I will be mentioning this in my next newsletter, though.

Overstock.com and Tigerdirect are solid converters with (usually) pretty decent product selection.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Moderator Note: Thread title updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Weinberg View Post
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to pimp my own programs in a circumstance like this, so does someone want to give a list of programs that do offer commissions on laptops and netbooks, along with appropriate commission levels?
    Moderator Note: If affiliates would like to list some of their favorites, that's fine. I'll also permit AMs and OPMs who have a paid announcement or a paid sub-forum with a good alternative program to post a link to those, but I'm not going to open it up for a free-for-all spam-fest.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

So, they went from a 0.25% commission to a 0% commission. Ethics of getting free traffic aside, was anyone actually making anything resembling decent money with them in this category to begin with? The commission on a $2000 laptop was five bucks! You'd have to move a ton of machines to make that worth your while. I dropped Best Buy ages ago when they started dropping rates on everything
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Checkout newegg.com too on CJ.

I do not know what they pay but they have a pretty high converting site with good prices.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread