Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82
  1. #1
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    You're Fired!!!
    So, you have had a merchant terminate their affiliation with you.

    No worries. You are not alone. It is a part of affiliate marketing.

    I have been dropped by merchants before. Most every other affiliate has been "dumped" by a merchant for one reason or another at one time or another.

    Though many do no like it when people call affiliate marketing a "job", that is exactly what it is. And, like most jobs, you or your employer can terminate the relationship at any point without giving or being given prior notice.

    However, in affiliate marketing, we can't file for unemployment when we feel we have been wrongfully terminated.

    I understand that many, just like I use to, can't understand what is the big deal about an affiliate remaining with a merchant, even if they aren't producing sales or, in some cases, aren't even promoting the merchant at all.

    I too use to be puzzled by this. Then, I began to reflect on my days in retail management.

    How does having a non-productive affiliate cost a merchant anything? That seems to be a common question in this forum. I use to ask it as well.

    Then, I calmed down and thought about. Let me explain one way a non-productive affiliate can cost a merchant money.

    I have requested things such as banners from many merchants before. (You all know me and my addiction to banners. LOL!)

    When I request a banner or anything else from a merchant, very rarely do they ask for my Network ID Number. They have no idea who I am as far as what sites I operate.

    Now, imagine this. You are an AM for a major merchant. We're talking bigtime here. You have about 10,000 affiliates.

    Some affiliates seem to write and ask questions or just make small talk for no reason. Of course, you don't want to be rude. So, you respond to each and every e-mail. You get those e-mails request for special links or special banners. You get those e-mails from affiliates that had 15 clicks last month and they don't understand why they didn't get a sale. Blah! Blah! Blah!

    Now, in many cases, the AM doesn't know your sites or whether you are actually producing sales. But, they do their best to please you.

    Stop the presses! I just remembered something. I once saw a post in here that stated a merchant was looking for an AM and the starting pay was $50 an hour.

    Therefore, to make this math easy, let's say you are an AM making $60 an hour.

    Reading one e-mail takes about a minute or a merchant pays an AM $1. Responding to that e-mail takes about a minute or a merchant pays an AM about $1.

    Therefore, one e-mail can actually cost $2 in pay to an AM for them reading and responding to it.

    Now, let's say you (remember, you are imagining you are an AM) receive 50 "silly" e-mails a week. And I am sure on average some AMs receive more than that.

    At $2 per e-mail, a merchant is paying the AM $100 to deal with those "silly" e-mails a week.

    $100 x 52 weeks = $5,200 a year

    In all honesty, if an affiliate is productive for a merchant, the merchant and the AM doesn't really see those "silly" e-mails as a problem, or at least as big of a problem. However, a lot of the "silly" e-mails generally come from non-productive affiliates and come in the form of complaining about lack of sales.

    Since a merchant and/or AM doesn't always know whether the sender of the e-mails are productive affiliates or not, by weeding out non-productive affiliates after a period of time for non-productivity, this could save a merchant $5,200 or more a year.

    Nothing puzzling about a merchant trying to cut cost and increase the productivity of their company, their employees (including the AM) and their affiliates.

    That is just one way a non-productive affiliate may be costing a merchant. There are actually lots of ways.

    That may not be true about you or me, but neither a merchant or AM has a crystal ball to tell them which affiliates are causing unwarranted expenses like mentioned above. Therefore, they do it the best way they can.

    YES! Non-productive affiliates can cost a merchant money. At least a merchant gets some of their money back from a productive affiliate.

    Stop those presses again! I remember the 80/20 rule I read about in here. That is to say that 80% of a merchants sales will come from 20% of their affiliates.

    If that is true, why should we be shocked if a merchant was to take and "drop" 80% of their affiliates, since 20% of them are driving the vast majority of the sales?

    So, I guess even low productivity affiliates may have to be terminated at times.

    See what I'm talking about? Just playing devil's advocate I guess. But think about it.

  2. #2
    Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ithaca & Park City
    Posts
    3,338
    The days of "the more Affiliates you have, the better" are long gone, IMO. Snowfinch makes some very good points, and I experienced some it first hand while managing the Backcountry.com Affiliate program, and this was over five years ago. It's likely a lot worse (depending on your network) now.

    When I was the Backcountry AM I would get consumed with tons of emails from Affiliates that had never made a sale, and the fact is, they were never going to (and SF is right, you don't want to just ignore, so it gets to be a challenge to manage the correspondence alone). These are folks who simply weren't ready, and for AMs of major programs it's not their job nor should it be to teach anyone the fundamental basics of web site publishing. There are only so many hours in a day, and AMs of large programs should be spending time working with Affiliate marketers who actually know how to do it.

    I do not discount the possibility that a newbie could be tomorrow's top Affiliate, but before that happens these folks need to learn, study, test, tweak, read, test, try, fail, succeed, etc...at web site building and publishing, not at Affiliate marketing. Once folks know how to actually build a good and compelling site, then they should try monetizing and not before.

    All this comes back to why we actually have Affiliate "applications" at the network level at AvantLink, and not just some form you fill out. You have to qualify as an Affiliate and that goes for merchants as well.

    My 2 cents... GM
    Last edited by GravityFed; April 27th, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    "Though many do no like it when people call affiliate marketing a "job", that is exactly what it is."

    Sorry there Snowfinch but nope.

    "Stop those presses again! I remember the 80/20 rule I read about in here. That is to say that 80% of a merchants sales will come from 20% of their affiliates.

    If that is true, why should we be shocked if a merchant was to take and "drop" 80% of their affiliates, since 20% of them are driving the vast majority of the sales?"

    Because the ones you drop could be productive affiliates, might even be one of your top affiliates one day.

    As far as reading emails and such, that's just part of the job. Most of those affiliates that aren't doing anything, aren't doing anything. Not even emailing. And those that do, who knows if they'll ever produce sales but at least they've shown something in just writing an email.

    Since you brought up Backcountry, not the best example because while I wasn't a top affiliate or anything like that, I did have sales every now and then and got dropped.

    But I do agree with the other parts of your post, this I completely agree with:

    "These are folks who simply weren't ready, and for AMs of major programs it's not their job nor should it be to teach anyone the fundamental basics of web site publishing."

    There's way too much of that nowadays. As a marketer you're supposed to bring something to the table. A merchant/am isn't supposed to teach you how to do that. Or people wanting to get in this business looking for leaders or teachers. They'll never make it because they're bringing their employee mentality into this business when it should have been checked at the door. You're supposed to be your own leader, learn, make mistakes, figure things out.

    And come to think of it, maybe you have some good points if that's the type of emails you're getting, if it's a lot of teach me, teach me type stuff.

  4. #4
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    ring..ring.....

    "Hello, widgets-r-us, sales manager X speaking, how may I help you?"

    "Uh, I walked by your store a couple of months ago, and I saw a red widget in your window; looked about two feet high. I need a couple of gross of red widgets by next week - I liked the color you have. Could you get me a couple gross in red?"

    "Sorry sir, but we do not sell widgets to people who looked at our products two months ago and in all that time never called, never came in, or, heaven forbid, never bought any until now. I'm hanging up. don't call back."


    No way to run a business. Any business. Any part of it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    118
    I've been the affiliate manager since about November/December for my company, and have really only begun to make headway in the past month.

    At first, any kind of contact with my affiliates was like a reward, but now it seems split into three main categories:

    1. The "teach me" kind, who know practically nothing, and who amaze me that they even know affiliate marketing exists, never mind the concept of running a website.

    2. The general problem category, that are hopefully resolvable, usually just little mistakes.

    3. Recruiting and maintaining contact with those affiliates who are potentially big earners. Some are, some aren't, but like you say it is a tiny (<20%) of my publishers who make the money.

    I would never fire a low-productivity affiliate though. That seems wrong. Making the most of the affiliates you already have, including those who haven't even put your links on their site, seems to be one of the best routes for me right now.....sorry, I'm preaching to the choir, but it is nice to finally start seeing the things I have read about on this forum start happening, in however small a way...
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

  6. #6
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Sunny Miami
    Posts
    8,384
    In my 9 years as an affiliate manager and OPM, i have never fired an affiliate from any of the hundreds of programs I have managed in the last 9 years ...

    unless ....

    they have broken the rules of the program after repeated warnings via emails and other means of communications....

    word to the wise ...

    those newb's can and have become some of my most trusted and most producing affiliates that i work with ... they were newb's back in the day when we met .... i'm talking back in the TigerDirect days ...

    After reading threads like these, I feel the need to re-start my affiliate manager training seminars ... maybe we will run one this year again
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

  7. #7
    Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2009
    Location
    Surprise
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    ring..ring.....

    "Hello, widgets-r-us, sales manager X speaking, how may I help you?"

    "Uh, I walked by your store a couple of months ago, and I saw a red widget in your window; looked about two feet high. I need a couple of gross of red widgets by next week - I liked the color you have. Could you get me a couple gross in red?"

    "Sorry sir, but we do not sell widgets to people who looked at our products two months ago and in all that time never called, never came in, or, heaven forbid, never bought any until now. I'm hanging up. don't call back."


    No way to run a business. Any business. Any part of it.

    Excellent example! +1

  8. #8
    Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ithaca & Park City
    Posts
    3,338
    To be clear I am not advocating removing Affiliates for no reason. What I am saying is that for larger programs with many thousands of Affiliates, it's not feasible or realistic for AMs to teach the very basics of site building and publishing.

    We have high volume, high exposure programs that exceed their Affiliate sales volumes on other networks with 1/10th the number of Affiliates. And that's partly because AMs aren't reviewing 80 applications a day, policing for TM bidders or trying to manage a lot of meaningless correspondence.

    I guess I have a different perspective because if an Affiliate doesn't know how to retrieve and install a banner ad unit for example, they don't qualify for our network and won't be emailing Affiliate Managers at all

  9. #9
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    I think the network is in a much better position than the merchant to weed out affiliates that just aren't going to be productive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  10. #10
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    The point of this post was to show just one of many ways that an unproductive affiliate may cost a merchant money.

    I agree networks are probably better at deciding whether an affiliate is unproductive or not. In the end, it doesn't matter whether the network or merchant "weeds" out affiliates that may be unproductive. The point is there may be times when a network or merchant may see the need to do so.

    Now, let's make a call...

    Ring... Ring...

    Hello. Thank you for calling Snowfinch's Savory Pizzas.

    Yes. I want to order a pizza with all the toppings. Extra large with a thin crust. Wait. Extra cheese. I gotta have my extra cheese. I'll pick it up about an hour.

    Hey. Aren't you the one that called here last week and the week before that and ordered this a pizza and never picked it up?

    Yes, I am. This is about the 10th time I have placed an order, but I always ended up doing something else and didn't make it there to pick it up. I promise I'll come by and get this one though.

    Sorry. We aren't going to be able to make your pizza. Thanks for calling.

    That is the proper way to run a business. You remove troublesome customers that are costing you money and you, the merchant, are getting nothing back in return.

    You see... This forum is like Hollywood. The fans outnumber the stars. So, the stars come out and thank the fans. They say whatever it takes to keep the fans happy. Obviously, in private, the stars are not talking so kindly about the "silly" fans. Such as those in the crowd with signs saying "Marry Me".

    Affiliates outnumber AMs on here. An AM has to be very careful what they say or the fans, I mean affiliates, could turn on them.

    That is one of the problems with this forum. We, the affiliates can put down and complain about merchants and AMs, but a merchant and/or AM walks a fine line in here. One wrong statement and here comes 100 affiliates telling them off.

    I say "Come. Let us reason together."

    The truth is that isn't going to happen on here until we allow merchants and AMs to speak more freely without fear of a backlash.

    Give merchants and AM a second anonymous screen name and let them complain about us, the affiliates.

    I know they are free to do that know. But, would you? Would you as an AM come in here and complain about "silly" or "unproductive" affiliates and have a 100 affiliates jumping your case? Nope. You probably wouldn't.

  11. #11
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    That is one of the problems with this forum. We, the affiliates can put down and complain about merchants and AMs, but a merchant and/or AM walks a fine line in here. One wrong statement and here comes 100 affiliates telling them off.

    ...

    Give merchants and AM a second anonymous screen name and let them complain about us, the affiliates.

    I know they are free to do that know. But, would you? Would you as an AM come in here and complain about "silly" or "unproductive" affiliates and have a 100 affiliates jumping your case? Nope. You probably wouldn't.
    I really don't think that would be an improvement here. We need to work together, educate and inform, not tear each other down.

    And no, AMs are not free to create a second account. Our rules have always stated that each person only gets one account and that each account can only be used by one person. Any exceptions need to have prior approval by the administrator.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  12. #12
    Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    I say "Come. Let us reason together."
    Are we witnessing history in the making here?

    But seriously, it is great to learn from threads like this. I am constantly being praised (or laughed at, I'm not sure which) for my "patience" in dealing with little old ladies and guys from the Bronx who sound like gangsters (as opposed to geeks, I guess), always making sure they get what they want, etc.

    The reason I do this is because - as you said Andy Rodriguez - you never know how their sites might produce once they're up and running.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

  13. #13
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "Though many do no like it when people call affiliate marketing a "job", that is exactly what it is."

    Sorry there Snowfinch but nope.

    "Stop those presses again! I remember the 80/20 rule I read about in here. That is to say that 80% of a merchants sales will come from 20% of their affiliates.

    If that is true, why should we be shocked if a merchant was to take and "drop" 80% of their affiliates, since 20% of them are driving the vast majority of the sales?"

    Because the ones you drop could be productive affiliates, might even be one of your top affiliates one day.

    As far as reading emails and such, that's just part of the job. Most of those affiliates that aren't doing anything, aren't doing anything. Not even emailing. And those that do, who knows if they'll ever produce sales but at least they've shown something in just writing an email.

    Since you brought up Backcountry, not the best example because while I wasn't a top affiliate or anything like that, I did have sales every now and then and got dropped.

    But I do agree with the other parts of your post, this I completely agree with:

    "These are folks who simply weren't ready, and for AMs of major programs it's not their job nor should it be to teach anyone the fundamental basics of web site publishing."

    There's way too much of that nowadays. As a marketer you're supposed to bring something to the table. A merchant/am isn't supposed to teach you how to do that. Or people wanting to get in this business looking for leaders or teachers. They'll never make it because they're bringing their employee mentality into this business when it should have been checked at the door. You're supposed to be your own leader, learn, make mistakes, figure things out.

    And come to think of it, maybe you have some good points if that's the type of emails you're getting, if it's a lot of teach me, teach me type stuff.

    I couldn't have said this any better!

  14. #14
    Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2006
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    2,838
    Sweet I just made $10.52 for reading this thread
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    those newb's can and have become some of my most trusted and most producing affiliates
    100% agree

    3 years ago I didn't have a clue how to generate sales (thought I did, but numbers don't lie). Merchants who stayed with me are now reaping the benefits - and also get preferential treatment. Especially one who compensated me 3 years ago when there were tracking errors. They are now my biggest seller.

    Some of us never forget.. both good & bad treatment.

    Still doesn't mean I won't get dropped - it happened last month, but it was a store in my worst performing network. Life goes on..

  16. #16
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    Michael. What improvement is there in calling AMs "knuckleheads" and so forth by affiliates? None.

    I was simply trying to state that affiliates come in here "fussing" about merchants, but merchants usually don't have the option to "fuss" about affiliates.

    Dude, don't take everything I say so serious. I wasn't telling AMs to make a second account. I was trying to prove a point.

    How often does a merchant come in here complaining and publishing "silly" e-mails from affiliate? Rarely. If at all.

    Merchants are at an unfair disadvantage. Truth is the truth. Like or not.

    Merchants publishing "silly" e-mails would generally be met with hostility by the affiliates in here.

    However, e-mails from merchants posted by affiliates are also met with hostility by affiliates in here.

    Reality. Merchants and AMs are often in a no win situation.

    For an affiliate, it is their website. You (we) can do what we want with it.

    For a merchant, it is their company. They wanna dump affiliates. They can.

    Merchants and AMs have rights also. If an affiliate has the right to not promote a merchant, a merchant has the right to "dump" the affiliate.

    I was speaking of more working together and less complaining over nonsense.

    I am trying to be a kinder, gentler and more open-minded Snowfinch. Work with me here.

    "Insert big grinning smiley here."

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Hmmm.. I still think merchants have the advantage.

    Perhaps not in this forum of open communication - we affiliates do jump on things rather quickly! - but they have the advantage where it really counts.. payments.

    The squawking by us affiliates in this forum doesn't make up for the fact that merchants can reverse commissions, accept parasites into the program without our knowledge.. and the worse part.. not credit our sites for sales. And we have no recourse or audit rights.

    Now, I'm not saying the above takes place (!), but it's what we don't know that makes us suspicious.. that's why affiliates are quick to jump on a merchant.

    But.. as far as I know, affiliates behaving badly are also held to task here - just look at any toolbar thread!

    I agree with the "why can't we all just get along" attitude, as I have very good relationships with some merchants.

    But I don't think a merchant would be bashed here if they posted a thread listing silly questions from affiliates.

    Part of the problem might be the cross-section of members here - some are full-time affiliates, others just dabble in AM as a hobby, the rest are somewhere in between. So not all communication will be as professional as the merchant hopes.

  18. #18
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Snowfinch,
    Iím not sure if youíre referring to my thread and my posting of merchant emails but I did offer a public apology to Kristen for the thread I posted.

    I do think that many times, itís valid to post a merchantís email. That way, people have evidence. If a merchant wants to post an email of an affiliate they can if itís justified.

    Merchants rule and the networks support them. Affiliates are the oneís ad a disadvantage and thatís why they come here to tell their stories.

    Merchants who reverse sales or use deceptive policies in order not to pay affiliates are growing. You can read thread after thread of merchant unethical tactics.

    Merchants hold the upper end by far in this industry. Maybe at ABW, weíre more civilized and allow both merchants and affiliates to voice their concerns and voice their opinions.
    Itís also a great place to educate each other. Heated discussions can turn into learning opportunities.

    I learned this lesson today. My post showed me the proper way with dealing with merchants.

    Weíre all here to learn and we all make mistakes from time to time but saying merchants are at a disadvantage is nonsense.

    MC also has defended merchants on many occasions, so there is balance here. Moderators also step in if an affiliate acts inappropriately. I was set straight in my thread.
    So saying are merchants and AMs really at a disadvantage?

  19. #19
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    Now, let's make a call...

    Ring... Ring...

    Hello. Thank you for calling Snowfinch's Savory Pizzas.

    Yes. I want to order a pizza with all the toppings. Extra large with a thin crust. Wait. Extra cheese. I gotta have my extra cheese. I'll pick it up about an hour.

    Hey. Aren't you the one that called here last week and the week before that and ordered this a pizza and never picked it up?
    "Yes. Each time I ordered a pizza for one of my customer/visitor/friends who are always dropping over to my home. After I placed the first order, my friend came to pick it up, but there was a big sign outside your store that said "Closed for Maintenance". When I placed the second order, and my friend came to pick it up, he was told you were sold out of cheese, but could sell him a vegan faux-cheese pizza instead, as long as he did not tell me he made a substitute purchase. This loyal friend of mine declined."

    _________

    Dispensing free advice and having resources to cover costs of doing business are necessary in every field. If I had a dollar for every free consultation or increment of free advice I gave out over the years of my prior career, I could be retired and living a life of luxury today, instead of slaving, from dawn till dusk, over a hot iron, uh, I mean computer. But you never knew which recipient of free advice would be the client with the great case, if not then, maybe a week, a month, a year later. Most you never heard from again, but some you did, and that is they way you grow a business. You don't start the meter on the potential client (as so many do) or fire the potential top affiliate (as so many do), unless of course you are satisfied that you have all of the business you will ever need or could ever handle.

    As a wise old comedian once said, "I have all the money I need for the rest of my life.... Unless I have to buy something."
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  20. #20
    Banned Snowfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2008
    Location
    The Asteroid Belt
    Posts
    580
    Bibby...

    Actually, no... I am not referring to your post. I admire you for your post on that thread today. It takes a real man or woman to admit when they have jumped to conclusion. I have a lot of respect for you, because you showed great courage in taking responsibility in your action. I give you two thumbs up on your response.

    That being said. Yes. I am partly referring to the "knucklehead" statement on that thread. I also owe an AM an apology which I intend to give for another thread where I agreed with a not-so-nice comment by another poster.

    I did start this thread because of a comment on your thread about a member being "dumbfounded" by this issue constantly coming up.

    I was simply explaining that an unproductive affiliate can cost a merchant money.

    However, the group Genesis did a song called... That's All... back in the 1980s and I think they wrote that song for me.

    It goes something like this...

    I say it's white. You say it's black.
    I say it's day. You say it's night.

    No matter what I say... some members are going to disagree with me because they simply don't care for my "forwardness" and "arrogance".

    That's All.

    The truth is the truth. Affiliate marketing is a job. We do work. We get paid. A job.

    We are called... Self-Employed... Employed is to have a job.

    Truth is merchants can't be as upfront as we, the affiliates, can. So, how can we ever progress til the lines of communication are EQUALLY opened to all.

    Of course, that is progress and change. A no-no.

    We complain a lot in here, but there is a lot of good to say about merchants and AMs.

    We can all learn from each other. But, we'll all, affiliates and merchants, have to give a little to get a little.

  21. #21
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    Ring, Ring, yes I would love to order a Pizza for delivery. Cheese and tomato would be nice. Free delivery..that's really cool!

    1 hour later...ring, ring, I thought the delivery was free but....WHAT? Processing and handling? What's that?

  22. #22
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    I don't view your opinions as arrogant at all Snowfinch. I don't have to agree with it all, but I can still respect your opinion.

    I think most of us understand that a good AM or merchant will try to answer questions sent to them, but it is their job, and I don't think it is the determining factor behind why some companies go on a "ditch the slow affiliate" campaigns. I think that decision is made on wanting to pump up numbers that really don't matter.

    I don't understand the thought process behind closing affiliates out of a program unless their sites are not maintained or they break rules, etc.

    If it is just because they haven't made a sale, yet they are making sales with other merchants, then I think it's time for the AM to make an effort to turn them into active affiliates. Even this doesn't always work, but it is better than just shutting them out (I would think).

    What really gets to me is when a company decides to shut out "all coupon sites" then they continue to maintain relationships with the top 10 google referrers.

    I know they can do as they want, but it doesn't mean I have to like it and this is the only place in the world that I know of where I can say I don't like it and others understand what I am saying and why.

    Many AMs come here to see what affiliates like and don't like. This fact keeps me posting.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  23. #23
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    I am guessing here, but I think if affiliates shut down all merchants that weren't performing, we'd get a tons of AMs on here posting about their programs... just a guess...and open doors that have previously been closed.
    Last edited by leeann; April 27th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  24. #24
    Comfortably Numb John Powell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2005
    Location
    Bayou Country, LA
    Posts
    3,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian H - TicketLiquidator View Post
    1. The "teach me" kind, who know practically nothing, and who amaze me that they even know affiliate marketing exists, never mind the concept of running a website.
    I would have to say some merchants and their managers are partly responsible of this. They put a link on the merchant site labeled "affiliates" and then proceed to explain how easy it is to make big bucks with their program. Fine enough when read by folks that have been around, but I think it gives beginners the idea that it's easy when it's not. After they sign up for the network and the program then they have questions for sure.


  25. #25
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    I would have to say some merchants and their managers are partly responsible of this. They put a link on the merchant site labeled "affiliates" and then proceed to explain how easy it is to make big bucks with their program. Fine enough when read by folks that have been around, but I think it gives beginners the idea that it's easy when it's not. After they sign up for the network and the program then they have questions for sure.
    I absolutely agree. I know it is what I thought when I first began and it was wayyy easier "back" then.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Got fired....
    By Netspeed in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM
  2. Why I fired my secretary...
    By danay in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
  3. I've been fired!
    By ToughTurkey in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: June 10th, 2004, 09:21 PM
  4. I got fired today
    By Heyder in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: February 19th, 2004, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •