Domains By Proxy - The Bain of my Existence
    Please PM me if you know any tricks of the trade on how to contact a site when Domains by Proxy is in the mix.

I know that privacy is so important to many and I do understand that as an honest business person.

However....I am a Compliance Officer and more often then not, when I am having an issue with egregious violations against my clients via a site...they are registered by Proxy, have no valid contact information on their site, no Privacy Policy, and all traffic information about their site is bogus, etc. etc.

So frustrating when all I am trying to do is make sure that the information being posted about my client is correct and follows all of the legal guidelines that their accreditation requires.

I have tried all of the tricks in my bag today (and trust me I have a bunch of them) but to no avail. My client could get sued but the fraudster can hide behind the private registration and keep gathering people's personal information and selling it at random.

{sigh} I'm at my wit's end....any advice would be helpful.

Sheri

Instead of trying to contact the owner, I would go for the host.

If it's a copyright violation, you have plenty of recourse if you file a formal DMCA complaint with the host of the website, regardless of the anonymous registration. A host can be held responsible & should have contact information for suspected abuse.

Another option is a cease & desist letter via Domains by Proxy (and wait for the response).

Plan B is the search-engine route - I had a site that scraped mine deindexed from google, after reporting them. I don't see the contact form in webmaster tools anymore, but they used to allow you to report suspected violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
    However....I am a Compliance Officer and more often then not, when I am having an issue with egregious violations against my clients via a site...they are registered by Proxy, have no valid contact information on their site, no Privacy Policy, and all traffic information about their site is bogus, etc. etc.

So frustrating when all I am trying to do is make sure that the information being posted about my client is correct and follows all of the legal guidelines that their accreditation requires.

I have tried all of the tricks in my bag today (and trust me I have a bunch of them) but to no avail. My client could get sued but the fraudster can hide behind the private registration and keep gathering people's personal information and selling it at random.

{sigh} I'm at my wit's end....any advice would be helpful.

Sheri
    I'm not quite sure that I understand the problem. Are these sites people who have an affiliate or advertising relationship with your client? If there's no relationship, how could your client get sued?

If there is a relationship, you could just follow the affiliate link and match it with the affiliate who the link belongs to.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    At this point, I have to agree with Teezone and forget trying to contact them. They may well be intentionally taking measures to hide their identity. If that's the case, it's an uphill battle.

Other recourses available if they are selling PPI collected under the guise of your client's brand..

a) File a formal complaint against them with the FTC. You can do this online.

b) File a formal complaint with your State's AG office (or the AG's office of where your client is located).

c) It's possible the actions may also fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI as well. Although, the FTC will also forward information to the appropriate law enforcement agency. But doesn't hurt to deal directly when possible.

@Joshua in certain situations, the company can be held responsible. Even if there is (or was) an advertising relationship, that contact information is not always correct. I've seen very detailed information on how to go about giving networks bogus identities and still get payments. It's actually wayyy to easy to do.

If this has to do with "education" then be sure to let all accrediting agencies know that you are seeking to address the problem. Put it out there before them rather than having them come to you. If it DOES have to do with accreditation issue and compliance then there are legal means to address what an affiliate says.

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Try contacting the registrar or hosting company. Most hosting companies don't want to get sued (hopefully they are small) and if you have the right paper work they will pull the plug on the user committing fraud against your brand.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

You can try to send them an email using their address listed in the whois. Domains by Proxy should forward those emails to the owner.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

CPA Network Rep
    Hi Sheri-
    I know you mentioned that you tried "all of the tricks in your bag", but have you tried going through old whois records to see if they had a public record prior to going private? Perhaps you can even check the other domain names on their server to see if there is some sort of "paper trail" that they failed to cover.

Good luck
    -=Chipmunk=-
    [B]Matthew "Chipmunk" Sclier[/B]
    Affiliate Relations Manager
    [B]E-Mail:[/B] [email=matthew@leadflash.com]matthew@leadflash.com[/email]
    [B]Phone:[/B] (561) 499-3329 ext.126
    [B]AIM/Y!:[/B] ChipmunkLF l [B]ICQ: [/B] 48437188
    [URL=http://www.leadflash.com/855122D5-967E-4CAD-AE2B-F56DD265219C/refer.aspx]LeadFlash.com[/URL]: 100% Exclusive Cash Advance Offers

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread