Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Question Does Article Marketing Help or Kill SEO Traffic??
    I have a basic question about Article Marketing:

    Does Article Marketing kill SEO Traffic from Google/Bing??? Or does it help increase SEO Traffic from Google/Bing ?
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador Lanadili's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2007
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    1,114
    It helps increase traffic. Just make sure to use the keywords (in anchor text) that you want your traffic to increase with. There is more detailed information in the article marketing thread I started - see my signature below.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Thank you, I always been concerned that google will drop my sites if I link to them from an articles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili View Post
    It helps increase traffic. Just make sure to use the keywords (in anchor text) that you want your traffic to increase with. There is more detailed information in the article marketing thread I started - see my signature below.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    Hi kse,

    I posted a while back about how Article Marketing killed my SEO. My site was in the top 5 on Google for my long tail key phrase until I started an article campaign for the same (or similar) key words. My site disappeared from the results entirely. On the up-side, I had articles in 4, sometimes 5 of the top 10 positions on page 1 of Google. As the article faded away my site is now bobbing back up onto page two.

    There is no doubt that a good article campaign will result in increased traffic to your site but you should be careful about competing with your own SEO! What I am trying now is an article campaign where the key words do not compete with my SEO key words.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Thats a great suggestion, so from your experence it was not that Google stopped sending you SEO Traffic it is just your articales ranked better??

    I am concerned that Google will penalize my site if I link to them from article sites.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    Hi kse,

    I posted a while back about how Article Marketing killed my SEO. My site was in the top 5 on Google for my long tail key phrase until I started an article campaign for the same (or similar) key words. My site disappeared from the results entirely. On the up-side, I had articles in 4, sometimes 5 of the top 10 positions on page 1 of Google. As the article faded away my site is now bobbing back up onto page two.

    There is no doubt that a good article campaign will result in increased traffic to your site but you should be careful about competing with your own SEO! What I am trying now is an article campaign where the key words do not compete with my SEO key words.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    That's a very good question! To this day I am still not sure what happened exactly. The articles ranked very well but my main site disappeared from Google (for the key phrase) - and I mean disappeared! I would love to hear ideas why this happened... I would try it out on one of your not-so-important sites first as a test case.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2007
    Location
    Neenah, WI
    Posts
    682
    Google will not penalize your site for off-page factors. If that were the case, I'd fill article sites with links to all my competitors.

    The fact that your submitted articles are out ranking your actual website is a huge flag that your website has some issues. Are you linking these articles to your main(index.*) page? Or are they linking back to the original article that you have now posted on an external article site?

    You should be linking these articles to a specific page that is relevant for the subject. If the article is about "size 10 aluminum widgets", don't link it to your front page that is about widgets in general. Build a specifically relevant page about, "size 10 aluminum widgets".

    Also, please review Google's Basic SEO Guide(PDF) --> http://www.google.com/webmasters/doc...rter-guide.pdf

    Be sure you have no crawling issues and that you present the information in a structured way that doesn't include "little SEO tricks" that people have told you about

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    The fact that your submitted articles are out ranking your actual website is a huge flag that your website has some issues. Are you linking these articles to your main(index.*) page? Or are they linking back to the original article that you have now posted on an external article site?

    You should be linking these articles to a specific page that is relevant for the subject. If the article is about "size 10 aluminum widgets", don't link it to your front page that is about widgets in general. Build a specifically relevant page about, "size 10 aluminum widgets".
    Linking to a specific internal landing page.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Also, please review Google's Basic SEO Guide(PDF) --> http://www.google.com/webmasters/doc...rter-guide.pdf
    Done that - that's how I got my site to page 1...

    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Be sure you have no crawling issues and that you present the information in a structured way that doesn't include "little SEO tricks" that people have told you about
    Again, that's how I got my site to page 1...

    None of this even attempts to even spectulate about a relationship between my site position in G and article marketing.... I am sure someone will find it useful though...

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    .......... I would try it out on one of your not-so-important sites first as a test case.
    Yes that what I starting to do, I even went back and edited a few article and removed/change the URL to another site.

    And I will also use your seggestion calebtheredwood and link to a internnal page.

    I new at Article Marketing and not sure if it is working or not for me but would like to give it a try and see what happens. I just did not want to loose the traffic I already have.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    CanadianDave,

    Was the article almost exactly the same content as on your site?

    If so, perhaps Google saw that as duplicate content and pushed your site to the supplemental index.

    I have my main site subscribed to the Copyscape service and it alerts me whenever there is another copy of my pages elsewhere (plagiarized). I tell, you doesn't matter how much the copycat tries to change the page, they can still detect it. So I bet that Google is also very sensitive if not even more so. If you write an article for article marketing, make sure it is totally different from your site and not copy and pasted pieces.

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    ladidah,

    There were about ten articles in this particular campaign - all very different from the landing page. I have been reading a lot lately about how the Google duplicate content penalty is a myth (SiteProNews APR. 26, ISSUE #1378)

    "The only experts on the Google duplicate content penalty, and the only people who are qualified to define it, are Google, and in Google's own words "There is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty". This comes directly from Google's Webmaster Central Blog."

    Thanks for the info though...

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    There is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty
    While that's very true, I would still be careful. I've seen one of my competitors lose the top spot for their own article. Article marketing is great for exposure, but you don't know what other sites have done well that might outrank you. That doesn't mean you've done something wrong - they've just done it better (things like daily & relevant publishing, fine-tuned meta tags, etc).

    If you can get the top spot for content - no matter how "nichey" it may be - I'm not sure I would see a need for article marketing.

  13. #13
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    "The only experts on the Google duplicate content penalty, and the only people who are qualified to define it, are Google, and in Google's own words "There is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty". This comes directly from Google's Webmaster Central Blog."
    Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...t-penalty.html

    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    While that's very true, I would still be careful.
    I totally agree with this. While there might not technicaly be a "duplicate content penalty", duplicate content can cause problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  14. #14
    Newbie betty10's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2010
    Posts
    39
    It helps to get visitor as well as backlinks.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2010
    Posts
    1
    well article submission is one thing that help you in generating traffic beside that its give you a quality back link also...

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2010
    Posts
    15
    Article marketing is never hurt the SEO if the article is unique quality article. Article marketing is one of the great way to generate traffic while some of the article site are providing great backlink and help in SEO as well

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2010
    Posts
    10
    I never heard this that articles hurts SEO, to me they still are the best source for back link, not for traffic as they were used few years back.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 4th, 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I have a basic question about Article Marketing:

    Does Article Marketing kill SEO Traffic from Google/Bing??? Or does it help increase SEO Traffic from Google/Bing ?

    Article marketing can help you get some quality links, as well as traffic - but you have to be careful with it.
    If you rely heavily on only one method of link building, it does raise some flags and might get you penalized.

    Either way, you're trying to minimize all the risks involved so your site doesn't get penalized.

    If you write unique, helpful articles related to your niche and submit them to a few of the well-known article submission directories (such as Buzzle, iSnare, EzineArticles etc), there's no harm in that.

    Just make sure you mix and match the anchor text

    Good luck!

  19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 9th, 2013, 12:00 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 9th, 2013, 12:02 AM
  3. Article Marketing Traffic
    By marco005 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 11th, 2010, 04:16 AM
  4. [2007] Article Marketing for Traffic - the right way?
    By housebg in forum Building Traffic, Newsletters & Advertising
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: September 29th, 2010, 02:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •