Indexing Question
    Hi all,

I took my chances with a new niche that was focuses on the singular version of my keywords. What I found was that the singular version had much more searches, but hardly any competition. The plural version of the keywords have a lower number of searches and a really high competition rate. I figured by focusing on singlular words that I could do well. Unfortunately, so far that isn't the case. I am noticing that when entering the keywords i'm using into Google that a lot of the "big boys" are listed in the first few results. When I look at the cached site, I notice that these sites used the singular versions in their product descriptions and no where else. But because of site popularity, they rank high I believe.

The site has only been up for a few weeks, and my posts have been indexed. Webmaster Tools indicates that my searches are greater than page 3, and Analytics is only picking up users using obscure search terms to find my site.

I'm just wondering if I am taken on more than I can chew so to speak. Should I wait a bit longer to see if I can achieve better results? Just wasn't sure what the appropriate time was to actually see results.

Thanks!

From what I've read, searches include multiple forms of words so that skirt and skirts for example, are viewed as the same word.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    From what I've read, searches include multiple forms of words so that skirt and skirts for example, are viewed as the same word.
    This is true.

You can show it to yourself what keyword Google thinks are the same by looking at what is in BOLD on the page after a search.

For example "blue widget":

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+...ient=firefox-a

Has quite a few on the page that are "widgets".

Sometimes it works with an-acronyms or synonyms as well.

Search volume is important but choosing either the singular or the plural as it looks less competitive is not a very good strategy. It might work, but I dont think very often.

You can optimize for singular vs plural. Just go look at any results, like skirt or skirts and you will see they return different results.

The big boys are outranking you because they have more content for that singular term. Keep creating content and getting appropriate links into your site and you will eventually overcome them. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in.

Use singular and plural randomly in your content, meta tags, keyword, alt tags, backlinks, etc. Use it naturally and don't overspam.

It is too early to tell how you will rank. All the other basic SEO stuff still stands and very impt.

Ok, so it is still ok to use singular ? From what I can tell Google treats them differently as well (using the chaced view of the page). My biggest fear is that I couldn't penetrate the market. Right now I have a 3-word keyword setup. The big web sites representing organizations use the first two keywords on their page together, and the 3rd part of the keyword is scattered throughout the page. My thought was to create title, meta descriptions, meta tags, etc surrounding these words and hope to rank along side them.

I realize I will never be as big as the organizations who are in the first few spots, but was hoping to at least get on page 1 with the singular terms. Will give it another month or so to see though.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adammo View Post
    My thought was to create title, meta descriptions, meta tags, etc surrounding these words and hope to rank along side them.
    That's fine and should be done, but don't hope for much from it. Like an earlier poster said get more content and links.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread