Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Lost Lead Recovery
    Hi, I received an email yesterday from a guy at a company who launches a chat agent to stop shopping cart abandonment at merchants' checkouts.

He said if I make him an affiliate, and we paste one line of code into our site, we could recover lost leads through their "chat-bot".

I've just read that these companies could change the script to capture peoples' credit card information....

Anyone heard of this type of thing before?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't think we'd do this but for my own personal growth I'd like to hear anyone's experience on the matter....
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

I don't know about the company or the guy or the script in question, but the "lost leads" are sometimes people just shopping around and the aggravation of a high pressure automated pop up can keep them from ever coming back. How would you like to be just looking around and get that in your face?
    Knowing that their visitors can be handed over to another affiliate can also keep affiliates less than enthusiastic about sending folks your way too.
    If there are a lot of lost leads, maybe it is time to examine the checkout process?
    There have been a few discussions about this practice on ABW.
    Just IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I don't know about the company or the guy or the script in question, but the "lost leads" are sometimes people just shopping around and the aggravation of a high pressure automated pop up can keep them from ever coming back. How would you like to be just looking around and get that in your face?
    Knowing that their visitors can be handed over to another affiliate can also keep affiliates less than enthusiastic about sending folks your way too.
    If there are a lot of lost leads, maybe it is time to examine the checkout process?
    There have been a few discussions about this practice on ABW.
    Just IMHO.
    It's not really about the ineffectiveness of our checkout, it's more that he's guaranteeing a boost in conversions. As you say though, it wouldn't be good for other affiliates, unless they are somehow being tracked from somewhere and only their referrals are being recovered in the event of an abandonment.

Anyway...there are so many different little things on offer out there these days that I figured I 'd ask about this. The "Wait! Don't go!" thing may well drive people away forever as you say, though...
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

As a shopper, a popup chat request would annoy me. I'm making a conscious decision to abandon the cart, and don't need the hard sell..

If this is a regular occurrence for an online store (and affiliate site, where abandonment is before they click through to the merchant), the site should be better optimized.

My favorite article: http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button/

Hmm, stupid place to put a form, methinks...

300 million is utterly staggering though..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian H - TicketLiquidator View Post
    Hi, I received an email yesterday from a guy at a company who launches a chat agent to stop shopping cart abandonment at merchants' checkouts.

He said if I make him an affiliate, and we paste one line of code into our site, we could recover lost leads through their "chat-bot".
    So basically that would negate any affiliate cookie duration by overwriting the affiliate cookie with the chat-bot's affiliate cookie when they tried to leave the site.

When I run across merchants who enable an affiliate to do something like that, here what I do:

1) If I don't care about the merchant, I immediately remove them from my site (or from consideration if they're not on my site yet).

2) If I do care about the merchant, I will email the AM about it. If they don't stop, I remove them from my site.

This negates affiliate cookies, provides a poor customer experience, and empowers another affiliate to steal sales that others rightly deserve credit for. It shouldn't be tolerated by merchants or networks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    So basically that would negate any affiliate cookie duration by overwriting the affiliate cookie with the chat-bot's affiliate cookie when they tried to leave the site.

When I run across merchants who enable an affiliate to do something like that, here what I do:

1) If I don't care about the merchant, I immediately remove them from my site (or from consideration if they're not on my site yet).

2) If I do care about the merchant, I will email the AM about it. If they don't stop, I remove them from my site.

This negates affiliate cookies, provides a poor customer experience, and empowers another affiliate to steal sales that others rightly deserve credit for. It shouldn't be tolerated by merchants or networks.
    Just to be clear, it was poo-poo'd right off the bat, but I wondered if anyone could let me know if it wasn't a bit shady.

I have been told it is nothing to do with credit cards (our initial concern) and that the chatbot simply returns prospects to the order page, etc. It would use a link to send them back to the cart that the merchant would provide.

I just asked about hijacking other affiliates' cookies and am waiting for the reply. I'll keep you informed...

I am concerned only with finding quality affiliates and building good relationships with them...gadgets, gimmicks and gizmos are no substitute for humans who play fair and respect each other, that's for sure, but it'll be interesting to see what he says next.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread