ABW Ambassador
    Indy Tracking Goes Down = I lose all Commissions
    I have had this problem with this independent merchant where their tracking goes down and they refuse to compensate me or communicate with me on the issue. I get some organic search results that provides constant sales with them so I have to also consider that if I annoy then too much then they can close my account and I will lose the sales. I can't replace them with a competitor as the keywords are specific for their company.. i.e "companyname online sale" etc...

Recently I noticed that my commissions had dropped as I had checked a month previously and the balance was much higher. so I checked the stats and it showed all tracked stopped between mid march until mid April. I checked my own website stats and they showed they I had normal searches so I should have had many sales in this time.

So I contacted them to let them know I wasn't happy that my commissions were missing and tracking had stopped for a month. This happened once before about a year ago and they would not answer my emails them so I had to call them. They fixed the tracking up then but I was told "tough luck" and they would not pay me for when their tracking went down. They said they would get onto it and fix the problem. I have no records of this as it was discussed on the phone.

Now after I let them know of this new issue all they did was reinstate the commissions I had earned up till March and made my payment by PayPal but they refused to pay me for the sales from March to April and won't answer my emails about this. I'm traveling through Asia now so calling them is difficult here.

I know some people will say just drop them but all that will do is mean I lose a nice income stream. But on the other side I want them to respect that I have sent them a number of sales and they should pay me based on recent months to work out an average and reinstate my commissions for what I probably would have earned. I also want them to fix there tracking system up properly this time. But I have sent emails to various departments asking for someone to address these issues but all my emails are ignored. They are a well known company so it's in there best interests I don't go public with this as many people use their service with security and trust.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why not try to gradually replace them by phasing in other merchants? You don't have to dump them all at once. If they think it is OK for you to lose a month's worth of commissions due to their failure, then do you really want to depend on them for a significant amount of your income? I wouldn't.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I dunno, your bargaining position with them is dependent on your revenue generating website not appearing parasitic to them. You mention that your keywords leverage their trademarks. Are you intercepting traffic that was intended for their website? Is this a thin affiliate website? Do you provide content that helps "seal the deal"?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Would AdSense make a good replacement?

Do you think you might be able to convince them to move to a network (like ShareASale)? There, at least you have some protections and more visibility, plus their affiliate program might do well enough that they might get an OPM or a full time AM, who would be more concerned about tracking. When I'm in similar situations, that's what I always try to do. Most won't do it, but some do. It's always worth a shot.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I have found some new contacts I can email from asking on other forums for the type of business involved so I will send some emails soon.

It's a bit hard to replace them with other merchants but maybe I need to develop something for my site so I can change bad merchants like this to show lots of options for the viewer to buy something at competing merchants without actually losing the organic traffic.

Mike, the problem with asking them to use an affiliate network is that all I will be doing is showing them how to be more successful and I will probably lose my organic search results due to more affiliate competition. I have seen in the past where I have done well with some merchants on Indy programs or small affiliate networks and then they join with a bigger network and a few weeks later there is a ton of competitors.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread