Trying Drupal
    Drupal caught my eye a couple of days ago when I read where Google is dumping a bunch of money into it. It's mostly developer rewards but a good chunk of dough.

I thought if Google likes it then maybe I should give it a look. More on the 2010 Summer of Code and Google here.

The few mentions I found here at ABW hinted that it could be a bit thorny. The Drupal site listed some fairly well done examples so I have to see what it is all about.

I may do a little running play by play here for a while like Trust did on his first WordPress install.

They advise putting it on a development server first rather than learn on a live site.
    I have the latest which is Drupal 6.16, and as the documentation suggested I have installed it on my WampServer 2.0. That is on my main XP machine that I use here daily.

I have made progress with WAMP this time in that I got the thing to send email through SMTP.

The Drupal install went well with no problems. I do find that the documentation requires more study than WordPress. It seems to be geared to have plenty of details so that anyone with the savvy can expand it to it's full potential.

Just looked over the Admin area a little and have to call it a night.

I have drupal installed on one site, it definitely has a bigger learning curve to it than wordpress. Whitehouse.gov site uses Drupal - If I ever get around to it, I have one site that after testing out both drupal and WordPress I will use Drupal for it because I believe it will better suit my needs on that particular site. Really just all depends on what you want to do with the site your creating.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I don't know if you like video tutorials but this company advertises that they offer Drupal video instruction. I think it's $25, but I'm not sure. http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=413
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I use drupal on most of my sites, it really does have a huge learning curve, but once you figure it out, you can do anything with it. If you know php, you're good to go.

Two really FANTASTIC video tutorial sites are:

http://learnbythedrop.com
    http://mustardseedmedia.com/podcast

If you need any help, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin View Post
    I use drupal on most of my sites, it really does have a huge learning curve, but once you figure it out, you can do anything with it. If you know php, you're good to go.

I actually enjoy PHP. May sound weird but I hunt for excuses to use it.

Thanks for the encouraging responses here. I'm looking forward more now to digging into Drupal.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin View Post

I have been on the learnbythedrop videos when ever I had the chance today. Some of the content requires purchase. Did you spend money on these or other video tutorials?

Today I set aside Drupal 6.16 to play with version 7 in it's 4th Alpha version. The reason is that I bought a book, Beginning Drupal, that is about version 7 and is supposed to highlight all the changes from 6.

Well it doesn't do that and was hard to figure out since 7 is a really big advance over 6. I'm really glad though because by the time I figure out what I want to do with it Drupal 7 will be released.

The book works really well with 7, and 7 has a lot more stuff that comes packaged with it. There are lots of books out there on Drupal, and many are real narrowly focused like for themes or security.

Hi John,

All I can say is that Drupal is amazing! I have tried playing with it many a times but always end up getting back to Wordpress
    But once you go through the learning curve, it is amazing to know what you can do with it. Using Drupal, you can create complete websites + separate Blog section. So Drupal can do a lot more than Wordpress. Just a simple comparison that may encourage you to use Drupal.

Also, if you can get in touch with Denis or Bob, they are pretty good with Drupal, I have seen their work

Regards.

We have used Drupal for all our new sites. Once you have the learning curve down, it really is not bad at all. I have used Joomla for one site, and it is perhaps easier for a less technical person.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Kind of an update here. I now have Drupal 7 on localhost and on my VPS. They are still crash dummy set ups as the latest D7 is Alpha 5. It's fascinating stuff and I mess with it a little every day. Right now I'm learning how to create and modify sub themes.

If anyone want's to see more I would be glad to PM a link to the live site, but at any given moment it could look crazy since I'm playing with it often.

Hi John, I would love to see your work
    The reason I would love to see your work, I'm thinking of a new project and hopefully, I will be using Drupal.

Waiting for your PM.
    Regards.

http and a telephoto
    Hey John, I'd like to take a look too. I haven't looked at Drupal in a very long time, would be good to at least see what it's all about.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I put a link to my Drupal 7 in my sig for anyone interested. There is way more to see on the Admin side, and if anyone would like to sign up and pm me I could grant access for like a day. I would have to know you a little bit via ABW.

The content is mostly little write-ups of things I've done developing the site to help me remember down the road. Bare in mind this is not intended to be a production site so please don't send me bug reports.

I still use D6 for all my projects. A lot of modules will be ported to D7 once it is ready, but I'm just too busy to port my custom modules yet.

While D7 has some features worth considering, it is also SLOW... Hope they will improve on that front. They do integrate some of the performance code from PressFlow (which is a branch that focuses on performance rather than portability across databases).

Seriously, due to how Drupal works, it is quite inefficient but that gives us ample of flexibility with hooks. It requires quite a bit of tweaks and knowledge about the LAMP stack to scale.

I didn't see any mentions of two of my favorite sites: Lullabot.com and DoItWithDrupal.com.

Lots of tutorials there. You can also find some videos from Drupal Con in archive.org for free.

Quote Originally Posted by hdlee View Post
    I didn't see any mentions of two of my favorite sites: Lullabot.com and DoItWithDrupal.com.
    I had found Lullabot and loaded up a bunch of their podcasts. I'll have to check DoItWith Drupal. Glad to see someone else interested here in Drupal.

I have a few Lullabot DVD titles. I do think they are great investment if you are serious into Drupal. DrupalCon archives were recorded with amateur cameras, but besides that, the content is superb with some sessions.

Drupal 7.0 Released
    After 3 years effort Drupal 7.0 was released on Jan 5th. It has a lot of nice improvements over version 6. I know the thread is old but the news is probably not worth a fresh thread since I don't believe many use it here.

Drupal Rocks.. I use it for bigger sites once you get over the learning curve you can do anything with it.
    I am still in 6.20 I never upgrade programs until a little latter so all the bugs are worked out and the modules are upgraded.

It is not wise to go for Drupal 7 at this point, you will have less number of modules available for 7 for many years to come.
    I am also sticking with Drupal 6 for this reason, even sometimes I find the most useful modules available only for Drupal 5.
    I have a bunch of Drupal powered sites and it takes a lot to make it do what it is popular for.
    And the statement "Drupal can do anything" is true only if you are a programmer and can hack Drupal to make it do whatever you want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    It is not wise to go for Drupal 7 at this point, you will have less number of modules available for 7 for many years to come.
    I am also sticking with Drupal 6 for this reason, even sometimes I find the most useful modules available only for Drupal 5.
    I have a bunch of Drupal powered sites and it takes a lot to make it do what it is popular for.
    And the statement "Drupal can do anything" is true only if you are a programmer and can hack Drupal to make it do whatever you want it to do.
    Might be true, but I enjoy being involved in the development. Learning how it works gives me joy. I'm working on building my first module right now and hope to be able to contribute it to the Drupal community.

Quote Originally Posted by zire View Post
    Drupal Rocks.. I use it for bigger sites once you get over the learning curve you can do anything with it.
    I am still in 6.20 I never upgrade programs until a little latter so all the bugs are worked out and the modules are upgraded.
    I have installed drupal to my site and confused with editing the template.Do you think learning curve will help me to fix my issues on drupal?

Quote Originally Posted by skyguide View Post
    I have installed drupal to my site and confused with editing the template.Do you think learning curve will help me to fix my issues on drupal?
    Sure. drupal.com is a great resource and that will lead to others.

I've been wanting to look into Drupal, still haven't had the chance to try it yet. Getting ready to launch a few new websites so I may give it a spin.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread