Confused about The Planet & Dedicated Servers
    So I was looking some stuff up about my website and I found this site that had all this info like about my RSS feed, HTML validation etc. and it had information about my server. I thought I had a dedicated server with The Planet and maybe I do. I guess I don't understand how it all works. What I've always thought is that if you have a dedicated server, there are no other websites (other than those you add yourself) that you share the server with, but according to this site, there are 5 websites sharing my server.

So for example:

It shows (I'm just making up these numbers)
    Sites hosted at Network: 60.22.107.0

Then it shows something like:

website name

my website

website name

website name

website name

So what does that mean?

What it doesn't show are any other websites I have on the server.

Thanks!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Sites hosted at Network: 60.22.107.0
    the site seems to be showing more of the website in your neighbor hood then on your server alone

If you can share the website you used to check that info may be I can check too
    - instruite [URL="http://twitter.com/instruite"][IMG]http://www.instruite.com/images/twitter.png[/IMG][/URL]

15 years and counting
    LeAnn, have a look at whois.sc (google it) with your own information. It was bought by domain tools.
    Check Whois Record. It will give you Registrant Information, registrar history, NS, IP history and
    Reverse IP: XXX other sites hosted on this server.

You can also have a look at Site Profile, Server Stats... Pretty nosy stuff.
    If you're a member, you'll know exactly who is sharing your IP and what's loaded on your server. People can sell you dedicated servers with other stuff on them.

Also, same IP and same server are two different things.

I didn't use the real "60.22.107.0" information. I just used that as an example.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

The site was http://www.markosweb.com/ (SmartViper)
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    LeAnn, have a look at whois.sc (google it) with your own information.
    They showed what I thought it should show. My site and the other sites I host on the server. I like The Planet a lot. I'm glad things are the way they should be, but these days you just never know. Thanks! That gave me some peace of mind.
    leeann

If you type in the IP address into bing search bar you will see all the sites hosted.

e.g. typing in

ip:174.37.71.235

will show the sites hosted on abestweb servers.

I am still looking for dedicated servers and been procrastinating. Seems like you are happy with them. Do you have the managed dedicated plan? That is basically what I have been researching. Any complaints?

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    Seems like you are happy with them. Do you have the managed dedicated plan? That is basically what I have been researching. Any complaints?
    I am very happy with The Planet. It was recommended to me by Snib and it has worked out great. I fumble around some, but I always have when it comes to cpanels (or whatever they are called).

My main reason for looking for a dedicated server was because my site loaded so slowly and it was crashing a lot. It seemed as the site grew, things just crawled. Not the case anymore. It is fast, at least when I click around on it, and I often clear my cache and reboot when I test things. From what I hear, Google is looking at the speed websites load again, so I'm even happier that I made the change.

I've been there for over a year and have never had any down time that I am aware of and since I rarely sleep I think I would know.

Snib knows better what I actually bought than I do, but looking at the prices I'm pretty sure it was a managed dedicated plan.
    leeann

That is good to hear.

Glad that your site is loading faster. I have heard that it also helps with conversion which makes sense and that probably why it's also impt for Google.

I saw that my site was sooo slow a while back but I think not knowing much about servers I am paralyzed by fear of not doing the right thing or picking the right host.

I just had a long chat with salesrep there and it looks promising. I just have to swallow the price tag and think it is the best long term. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    I just had a long chat with salesrep there and it looks promising. I just have to swallow the price tag and think it is the best long term. Thanks
    Just a suggestion -- Make a copy of your conversations, then you can ask people "in the know" if you've covered it all. It also helps to compare it with the final package you get. I think they left something out on mine and we had to go back to the table.

Also, they are negotiable so don't be afraid to haggle some. I think they will match prices with some companies or add on stuff.

And don't forget to subtract the amount you pay off your income taxes. That always helps me handle the monthly fee.

Good luck!
    leeann

Leeann, thanks so much those are very helpful tips.

I will definitely have to look at it more closely to see how the other packages compare. Never thought of haggling but good point. Unfortunately I didn't save the convo but I do have the itemized price out I was given.

leeann, that site probably isn't accurate. You only have what you've installed on your server, nobody else shares it. You've got root access which means full reign over everything and every site there.

ladidah, definitely haggle with the price. I was able to get an outstanding deal with them on my last upgrade. Check their deals page and see if you can combine multiple deals. For example: double ram + double hard drive space. Always a good idea to get as much ram as possible.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib View Post
    You've got root access which means full reign over everything and every site there
    What a frightening thought.
    leeann

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread