How to pass custom information through Commission Junction transaction?
    How to pass custom information through Commission Junction transaction? Does CJ API support that?

Found great answer
    You will have to include tracking variables in your affiliate links. CJ uses the SID parameter and I forget what the others use, but they all have something similar. The way I do it is to have a dynamic webpage (Rails, PHP, or whatever u use) that I direct every outbound link to. This page adds a row to my database table that includes the referral URL, search engine keywords, etc.. and I get the unique ID of the row after I insert the record. Then I use the unique ID (12345 in the example below) as my CJ SID tracking variable... so it would look like this:

http://cj_link_goes_here?SID=12345

Then when you pull the transaction data you can see which SID was associated with each transaction. Take that SID and match it to the record that you logged in your database. So you may would have a transaction returned by the API that had an SID of 12345. You just look in your database and then you can see the referral URL that you logged when the click was made.

You need some programming knowledge to accomplish this, but it is not terribly difficult. Just a few lines of code. Of course to simplify things, you will want to process all of this information in a reporting system.. coding that takes a bit more time.

Now I am not sure what you mean about redirects, but you will only be able to track the redirects that are made on your own site. I know some affiliate links do a few redirects behind the scenes on the affiliate network servers.. you will not be able to track any of that.

here is more
    more info on CJ SID here. Its pretty common with rewards & cashback sites. That is the only way they can associate a purchase with a visitor.

http://help.cj.com/en/lo*@%29%29p/SmartRewards_FAQ.htm

Thanks to phreak$how
    Thanks to phreak$how user, awesome answer and link! I spent a lot of time to resolve my problem. Now i know what to do! Super!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread