Affiliate vs. Advertising Revenue
    Here's a few questions I have while trying to choose a business model:

Does most of your revenue come from affiliate income or advertising revenue?

Do you choose one or the other or do you mix the two?

If you were to start a new site tomorrow, would you build a site with a ton of information with ads on the side and some affiliate links mixed into the content or would you build a sales site that primarily lists items available for purchase with original descriptions?

I know each niche is different, but I would appreciate hearing any thoughts people have.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

For niches where there are good affiliate programs, I promote products. But I have sites on things I am interested in and for some there aren't any good products or affiliate programs and that is where I put in ads.
    I earn more from affiliate programs.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

For our case Ads revenue is obviously more than Affiliate revenue, sine my program is new and website is more than an year old....
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Craig Stephen[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://Logoinn.com/affiliate-program"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"][B][SIZE="1"]Logoinn.com[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://Logodesign247.com"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][URL="http://www.logodesign247.com/affiliate/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logodesign247.com[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE]
    [EMAIL="affiliate@logoinn.com"][SIZE="2"]Contact Us[/SIZE][/EMAIL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=30741"][COLOR="Black"]Full [B]PPC[/B] Allowed / [B]30%[/B] flat commission / Unlimited Cookies [/COLOR][[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logo Design[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]24/7[/B][/COLOR]][/URL][/SIZE]

Very good question and one that I am also have been evaluating for the past month for my site.

I experimented with Adsense, target affiliate products and banners. The banners were just affiliate banners to see how much impact it had on my sales. I have not experimented with advertising banners yet and researching that.

I knew that Adsense and affiliate sales were inversely related but I was trying to optimize on those pages where I didn't have products to promote.

Generally for my site affiliate products generated the most money. Although Adsense were placed on pages that didn't have target affiliate products to sell, people would click on other "related" pages and this way they stayed on site. The Adsense just took them away from my site and reduced clickthrough, increased bounce rate, and reduced affiliate sales.

Seeing that my affiliate banners did not generate much clicks or revenue, I think that by placing advertising banners instead I could generate extra income where the affiliate banners did not. However, I would have to find ad banners that would pay on impressions and not clicks. Will need to research to see what kind of ad banners are out there.

I remember someone on this site (Leader?) saying something like "if you are looking for information, go somewhere else, if you are looking to make a purchase, come to my site."

This is one reason why I am thinking of moving away from the forum/blog/social network business model and moving more into the shopping site business model.

I guess it also depends on what kind of audience your site targets.

Not to stereo type but a craft type site with (non tech savvy) visitors would probably generate more revenue from Adsense or affiliate sales than if the site was catered towards the technical web programmer, for example.

If you are going to keep the topic the same why not just keep the forum and add a shopping site to the site on a different subdomain or subdirectory. Just point interesting forum posts to the product pages and link (funnel) the visitors to the particular products.

Found this interesting tweet tonight: How problogger makes his money on blogging.
    http://www.problogger.net/make-money-blogging/

Thanks for the link ladidah.

I've been following problogger for awhile. It was interesting to see AdSense as his number one income generator.

It was also interesting to see that eBooks were the main thing he mentioned in the affiliate section even though he does a ton of reviews and guides for cameras on his photography site.

I agree that each site and niche is different. I suppose the magic bullet is traffic. If you have a sales site with lots of quality traffic, you can probably figure out how to make sales. If you have a forum/blog with enough qualitytraffic, you can probably make some ad revenue.

Of course, some topics and site designs are not suitbale for sales or ad revenue no matter how much quality traffic you get. Some niches and site designs definately work better than others.

I wonder what percentage of super affiliates/publishers are:

1. PPC pros sending traffic to landing pages with affiliate offers

2. Shopping sites (primarily affiliate revenue)

3. Forum/blog/info sites (primarily advertising revenue)

http and a telephoto
    All three. (not kidding).
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I agree with loxly, I think they do all that plus more. Those are just a few of the things that they do and part of why they are super affiliates is they know how to be creative and push the limits of marketing. Not to mention they also have people they hire to help them.

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    If you're going to take marketing seriously, you should incorporate all of those aspects OICUAM2 mentioned.

Dynamic content always ads to the value of a website, so having some sort of social media is important. As an affiliate, a lot of times you can't just use affiliate links directly (writing articles, craigslist posts, ect, ect,) so it's always a good idea to set up your own site, and then direct niche traffic to that site to buy. With my forum, I don't have any kind of advertising, but I do put links in my signature (like everyone who's doing anything).

On my blog, I have links back to my site and also AdSense, blog readers are always just looking for general information, and not really to buy anything, so advertising works a lot better than trying to promote anything as an affiliate.

I have different websites that do different things. I have my affiliate sites that are basically online stores of a sort...and then I have my own merchant site for what I spend my time doing when I'm not promoting my affiliate sites...haha

If I was going to build a site tomorrow, I would probably build an affiliate site. If you find your right niche, affiliate marketing is cake work...You just have to write and write and write...and link. If you write enough quality articles, no matter what your niche is, you're eventually going to sell something.

For me, I have a good source of traffic going into a content heavy site. I put some affiliate deal links on top of the site and I got a ton of click throughs, but no sales. I replaced the affiliate deals with AdSense ads and now I make a steady flow of revenue each day. I still try to promote the affiliate links deeper in the site with more pre-selling, but still rarely get a sale. The topic has a low conversion rate so the ads are much better on my chosen topic.

I have other content heavy sites that don't do as well with advertising or affiliate models. I'm wondering if I should stop working on some of my content heavy sites and set-up a few shopping sites where the main content will be unique descriptions.

I figured all people have unique experiences and results, but I guess I was hoping that someone would chime in and say something like "blogging and forums are a waste of time except for the few lucky ones" or "90% of superaffiliates are PPC pros".

The service I use to make sites (Ning) is raising prices so I need to decide if I should continue to pursue the forum with advertising model.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Mix 'Em Up...

People are getting used to seeing ads on sites now...

Throw things at your visitors that you think will educate them about their individual needs...

Mix up banners sizes and ads..

Throw in text links where targeted links will work...

Targeting and MICRO TARGETING -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    I wonder what percentage of super affiliates/publishers are:

1. PPC pros sending traffic to landing pages with affiliate offers

2. Shopping sites (primarily affiliate revenue)

3. Forum/blog/info sites (primarily advertising revenue)
    Most of my income is from info sites/advertising revenue. And the affiliate sales I have are also from info sites. I have a nice shopping site, automatically updated with 25+ niche merchants . . . and no traffic And PPC won't work since bid prices are too high

I am not a "Super" but could easily live off what I now make if I were single.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread