Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Is Wordpress The Best Choice?
    Last night my wife asked me to setup a site where she post about her current fight with cancer. She would like to post how she feels each day, what she is going through, and provide some helpful tips for others that may be going through the same thing.

My first thought was to create a site using WordPress, but before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had a better angle to take.

Thanks.

I think that would be an excellent choice for that mission.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks Bill. Now I need to locate a nice diary style wordpress theme that has a somewhat feminine look.

I have a friend who uses this theme:

http://grabatheme.com/touching/index.html

.. and good luck.

Something plain and simple with only one side column for navigation (or whatever you might like in there, links to support sites, references, etc.). Even the default "Kubrick" theme could work well. It's totally free and it does work well. An early version of of Girly Check ran on that as an affiliate site - and did very well. The success from that site are what convinced us to use that as our program name.

I have a .psd template that makes it easy to put a custom image in the Kubrick header. It's your for the asking if you decide to use the default.

Edited to add: The theme Lindy posted also looks good (and already has a feminine appearance).
    Last edited by Bill; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added a comment...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Wordpress is far and away the best choice IMO. Just be sure you download and install on your web server, rather than using their free hosted version.

I can't vouch for any of them, but if you Google "breast cancer wordpress theme", there are a bunch of pink ones to look at and consider.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    Thanks Bill. Now I need to locate a nice diary style wordpress theme that has a somewhat feminine look.
    Seymour, Here are some suggestions for you:
    http://www.ndesign-studio.com/wp-themes
    I personally like the Notepad theme, it is diary style and it sorta looks feminine. If you use a feminine logo on top, I'm sure it will give the desired look. I'm using this theme on one of my client's blog Bright Ideas (Shameless Plug - Admin, please remove if found inappropriate).

Seymour, one more thing about the Notepad theme, it is a minimalistic theme. It loads pretty fast if you don't use too many plugins. Apart from Notepad, I also liked the Koi theme. That's a beautiful theme too. All themes are free and as far as I have checked the code, it is neat and clean. No suspicious codes in footer or other files, but never hurts to double check before you upload to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Something plain and simple with only one side column for navigation (or whatever you might like in there, links to support sites, references, etc.).
    Ditto! I am in love with two columned themes: main content area + one side column. Gives the look of a website, easy to read the blog and ofcourse, looks neat and clean. Bill what do you think about the Notepad theme I mentioned above?

Did a little work this morning.

1. Purchased Domain Name
    2. Installed WP through Hosting Account
    3. Downloaded/Installed New WP Theme
    4. Downloaded/Installed 'All In One SEO Pack'
    5. Set Custom Structure in Permalinks to '/%postname%/'

Would you please give us the URL of the site? Although I do not have breast cancer, I am a woman and feel strongly about it, and I would like to to see what your wife is sharing.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Last night my wife asked me to setup a site where she post about her current fight with cancer. She would like to post how she feels each day, what she is going through, and provide some helpful tips for others that may be going through the same thing.
    Sorry for not acknowledging this earlier, it is a really kind thing your wife is planning to do. I'm sure, her experiences may help others fight cancer.
    Sorry to know about your wife's medical condition. How is she doing now Seymour? Hope she gets well soon. Prayers and positive energy your way.

Regards.

Adarsh, that theme you linked to is beautiful!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Adarsh, that theme you linked to is beautiful!
    Hello Leeann, great to know you loved it
    If interested, you can find some more awesome themes here .. http://www.themegrrl.com/wordpress-themes/free/
    There are many websites where we can find good themes but have to be very careful about bad (hidden) codes in files. These are the tested wordpress theme designers, I have personally checked their themes and haven't found any bad codes yet.
    Love these theme designers, how creative they are. I wish I was even half good

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I can't vouch for any of them, but if you Google "breast cancer wordpress theme", there are a bunch of pink ones to look at and consider.
    Found this one at Themegrrl.com .. http://www.themegrrl.com/2009/12/31/...-cancer-theme/
    Beautiful theme, pink, neat and clean. Nice theme.

Nice theme. That's one thing about Wordpress. They are always coming out with good ones. I'm always looking at the clean cut financial ones.

True that SCarlisle. Oh well, not sure how many people know but Wordpress is working on the new version. Wordpress 3.0!
    In WP 3.0, they will be collaborating the single blog software with the Wordpress MU (Multi-user). It surely will get a little complicated but we will have more options to choose from and certainly more flexibility in terms of collaborative (multi-user) blogging.

I have been trying some different themes and I don't like any of them. Now I remember why I am not fond of WP. You spend so much time trying to mold a them into something you like, it gets to the point of not being worth the effort to use WP.

That reminds me of the "early" days of desktop publishing - when newbies would try to use EVERY font - just because they are there. I know 'cause I've tried it. I have also spent far too many hours "looking at" and "installing" and "trying" different WP themes.

My point is - don't get too caught up in choosing a theme - there are, indeed, way too many choices. Pick something plain/simple/easy for now. The important thing is to get this ready for your wife to use. Once the narrative begins to take shape the theme may take care of itself. Your theme (your wife's theme) will look different once her writing is in place; so get her started and give it a chance to develop on its own.

Did a little work this morning.

1. Purchased Domain Name
    2. Installed WP through Hosting Account
    3. Downloaded/Installed New WP Theme
    4. Downloaded/Installed 'All In One SEO Pack'
    5. Set Custom Structure in Permalinks to '/%postname%/'
    Might I add remove All In One SEO Pack and replace it with Platinum SEO? I wish I could find that darn blog post that I read a while ago outlining why it was way better than AIO SEO, but I've found it had several other options worth making me switch. (They even have a migration option from AIO) and it's free too of course.

Also, you should install W3 Total Cache as well to help with page load times etc. as you add more plugins etc. I was able to get my blog down from 7 seconds to 2.5 seconds in page load (feel free to visit my blog for the article - should be visible right off the bat if you care )

Best of luck on the site and your wife's fight against cancer.

Ditto Chris!

Agree with you on both points. I really love the Platinum SEO plugin, it is way better than AIO SEO plugin. I have Platinum SEO plugin on all of my blogs.

Is this the one? Platinum SEO Pack

Yes, that's the one
    Platinum SEO pack

I assume I have to deactivate the AIO SEO plugin first?

Yes, you should deactivate the AIO SEO plugin. If there are any posts on the blog, there is a way to migrate the entries from AIO SEO to Platinum SEO plugin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast