Social networking software? (e.g.: vBulletin)
    I am helping to set up a website and need to decide which social networking software to use (e.g.: vBulletin).

I have compared a few social networking software platforms (vBulletin Forum, vBulletin Suite, Dolphin, elgg, impresscms, Xoops, phpFox, IP.Board).

Desired features: modern looking template, user login, forums, groups, friends, private messaging, user profiles, very low price. Optional (user/site): polls, blogs, photo galleries. Optional (site): articles CMS.

Two favorites at this point are vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite (not the same as vBulletin 4.0 Forum) and Dolphin 7 by Boonex.

Because of a very limited budget, currently leaning towards Dolphin. Any positive/negative experience with Dolphin?

Any other platforms to consider?

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

http and a telephoto
    Dolphin has "holes" in it and is not easy to customize. I suggest looking at BuddyPress and WordPress MU as a possible solution. I've seen some very impressive communities built with it and am recommending it over elgg.

WordPress 3.0 should be released shortly and has multiple blog capabilities built in. They are merging WP and WPMU into one code base.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I would go with whatever appears to be the future market leader. The last thing you want to do is to be stuck with an outdated, unsupported platform a couple years from now.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I would go with whatever appears to be the future market leader. The last thing you want to do is to be stuck with an outdated, unsupported platform a couple years from now.
    Which one would that be?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    I use phpBB. Very simple to use and moderate, thousands of themes, and best of all its free.

Check out Ning

They introduced new pricing today with $20 or $50 per month options.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread