Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    Wordpress > Setting > Writing > Update Services
    On the Writing Tab there is a section called 'Update Services'. The URL's are pinged when a new post is published.

    By default, it just has 'http://rpc.pingomatic.com/'. I wonder if that one is sufficient.

    Do you go with just the default or have you added more URL's to ping?

  2. #2
    Roll Tide mobilebadboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    1,220
    Pingomatic pings 22 of the most common services. To me that is pretty sufficient, unless there's just random other service you want to include as well.

    Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Hi Seymour, there are mixed thoughts from bloggers around the globe. Some say that we should turn off that option of pinging, some say that you should ping even more sites. Till date, I haven't found a satisfactory answer to this question. However, I have always worked out with the default setting and have never bumped in any sort of trouble. My blogs are doing great. So I guess, the default setting is good to go.

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Full Member gcarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2009
    Posts
    383
    I keep the default list and I believe I have added a bunch more. I'm always in the 'more is better' crowd which probably isn't always the best method so I couldn't say either way.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    I use a plugin called cbnet Ping Optimizer. (You can use "Add New" under "Plugins" to easily find and install it.) It functions to make sure post editing doesn't send pings.

    As for services to ping, I used to have a ridiculously long list of, I dunno, probably 30+ ping sites someone gave me.

    Not many months ago, I was reading a reputable "how-to" blog about WordPress (sorry, can't remember which one now!) that suggested using such huge lists is both a wast of time and can be annoying to some of the sites that "re-ping" others for you. That source gave me the list I currently use for pinging on all my sites:

    http://rpc.pingomatic.com/
    http://api.moreover.com/RPC2
    http://blogsearch.google.com/ping/RPC2
    http://ping.feedburner.com
    http://ping.syndic8.com/xmlrpc.php

    If you use that ping optimizer plugin, just go to Settings and copy-and-paste that list into the ping optimizer settings.

    If you want to use the list without installing the plugin, just go to your "Update Services" section and copy-and-paste this list over whatever you have there.
    Last edited by Bill; May 9th, 2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Fixed one of the referenced links.
    Generate more fake news.

  6. #6
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Gary, thanks for the list. You are one of my "go to" guys for WP information and, quite often, inspiration.

    (BTW - I fixed one of the links. You had a typo copy of the second attached to the first.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks, Bill.
    Generate more fake news.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Gary, thanks for the list. You are one of my "go to" guys for WP information and, quite often, inspiration.
    +1 I agree!

    I also use cb ping optimizer because I am always re-editing my posts and every time you hit save, it automatically re-pings, which can flag your blog down as being a ping spammer. So with the ping optimizer plugin it only pings once when you hit publish, so when you have edit a typo, or link you won't reping these services.

  9. #9
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    So the ping optimizer plugin overwrites the normal pinging mechanism in WP?

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Yes, it seems like it. Instead of pinging every time you hit "save" it allows you to control when you ping.

    Do you know your WordPress blog pings unnecessarily every time you edit a post? Think how many times you click on “Save and Continue Editing” or “Save” button. Your blog will ping unnecessarily that many times you click on those buttons.

    Save your blog from getting tagged as ping spammer by installing this plugin.

    After you install cbnet Ping Optimizer:

    * When you create a new post, your blog will ping and notify all the ping services that it has been updated. This encourages search engines and different blog directories/services to index your updated blog properly.
    * When you edit an existing post, it won’t send any unnecessary ping to ping services and saves your blog from getting banned by such services.
    * When you post a future post by editing the time stamp, it will ping only when your post appears in future. It won’t unnecessarily ping many times when you schedule posts as WordPress does by default.

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    I use a plugin called cbnet Ping Optimizer. (You can use "Add New" under "Plugins" to easily find and install it.) It functions to make sure post editing doesn't send pings.

    As for services to ping, I used to have a ridiculously long list of, I dunno, probably 30+ ping sites someone gave me.

    Not many months ago, I was reading a reputable "how-to" blog about WordPress (sorry, can't remember which one now!) that suggested using such huge lists is both a wast of time and can be annoying to some of the sites that "re-ping" others for you. That source gave me the list I currently use for pinging on all my sites:

    http://rpc.pingomatic.com/
    http://api.moreover.com/RPC2
    http://blogsearch.google.com/ping/RPC2
    http://ping.feedburner.com
    http://ping.syndic8.com/xmlrpc.php

    If you use that ping optimizer plugin, just go to Settings and copy-and-paste that list into the ping optimizer settings.

    If you want to use the list without installing the plugin, just go to your "Update Services" section and copy-and-paste this list over whatever you have there.
    Wheee .. posting this after long research. I can confidentally say that Gary is right about what he mentioned in that post.

    Wordpress by default pings whenever a new post is created or a post is edited. Let's say, you create a new post and as soon as you publish it, the pings are sent to various sites through the rpc.pingomatic.com or any other service you have chosen.

    The problem is with editing a published post. If you edit a post 10 times and then save it, each time you save it, the ping services are called up. I mean, if you update your post 10 times in 10 minutes, the ping is sent 10 times to the ping services. This may get your blog marked as ping spammer

    This plugin is helpful in controlling the ping thing.. cbnet ping optimizer

    Using this plugin, you can keep your blog from being banned for multiple pings. The plugin controls the pings and ensures that only when you first time publish a post, the ping is sent. When you edit your posts or schedule future posts, the plugin makes sure that the ping services are not sent multiple pings.

    I'm trying this plugin on one of my blogs and let's see how it goes. Another thing, when you publish a post and the pings are sent, this plugin makes a log of the ping activity and it will show you the latest activity on the plugin settings page. This may be also helpful in understanding if your blog is safe or already banned due to ping spam. After publishing a new post on your blog, goto the ping optimizer settings page and check the logs. If anywhere it says Ping not sent or unable to ping, it is quite possible that your blog is already banned for ping spamming at that particular website/service.

    I think this plugin is good but what I don't understand, why Wordpress isn't doing anything about this serious problem? Why doesn't Wordpress add the needed code to make sure that ping services are not pinged over and again? Anyway, I'll keep you all updated if I notice anything new.

    Regards.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Hello Gary,

    I'm not sure if it is ok to include these extra services because Pingomatic does send ping to these services whenever bloggers publish a new post. According to Pingomatic.com:
    Common Services (Check All)
    Weblogs.com
    Syndic8
    Pubsub.com
    Moreover
    News Is Free
    Spinn3r
    SkyGrid
    Blo.gs
    NewsGator
    Blogdigger
    Weblogalot
    Topic Exchange
    Bloglines
    Collecta
    FeedBurner
    My Yahoo!
    BlogStreet
    Icerocket
    Google Blog Search
    PostRank
    SuperFeedr
    There are others but not required for this post...
    Specialized Services:
    Audio.Weblogs
    RubHub
    GeoURL
    A2B GeoLocation
    BlogShares
    I don't think you need to include these extra services if you have already pinged the rpc.pingomatic.com
    Using those extra links may just create troubles because the same URL will be pinged twice each time a ping is sent.

    Just thought this may help avoiding any troubles.

    Regards.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    67
    I've been testing without ping list for some time, trying to get Google bot to come from social media sites, especially for news specific content, but I could say there is little, if no, impact whatsoever to ranking. Perhaps because my domain is relatively new.

    Adarsh, exactly for the reason above, I only use pingomatic. Yes, leave it at default for some older domain. For new domain, I prefer not to ping, and let Google find my links naturally.

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlee View Post
    For new domain, I prefer not to ping, and let Google find my links naturally.
    Hello hdlee,
    There are some very experienced bloggers who recommend this: Do not ping any service at all. So I'm with you on this.

    But after knowing about the ping optimizer plugin, I'm thinking a little different. The reason bloggers recommend removing rpc.pingomatic.com from the Settings > Writing page is because Wordpress re-pings the same post over and again if we repeatedly edit/save a post. But If we use the ping optimizer plugin, there is no need to worry about getting banned for ping spam. So why remove the pinging service when it can help increase traffic?
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

  15. #15
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarsh View Post
    Hello Gary,

    I'm not sure if it is ok to include these extra services because Pingomatic does send ping to these services whenever bloggers publish a new post. According to Pingomatic.com:

    There are others but not required for this post...

    I don't think you need to include these extra services if you have already pinged the rpc.pingomatic.com
    Using those extra links may just create troubles because the same URL will be pinged twice each time a ping is sent.

    Just thought this may help avoiding any troubles.

    Regards.
    Hi Adarsh,

    You may be right about all those other services. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Pingomatic.com is constantly adding sites that it pings. So even my "short list" may be outdated.

    Good work on the research!

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    67
    Hi Adarsh, the reason is actually beyond that.

    Ping is a bit overused because you can put in any RSS feed and get search engine bots to come by pinging. So over time, there is really nothing so special about it.

    Sure, those RSS aggregators and Google may come a minute after you post, so what? It's not likely you will rank for highly searched keyword either. And because everyone and their brothers and sisters are using it, including web spammers, there is again nothing special about having this fresh content over here.

    Another twist, which I mentioned in my previous post, is to delete the ping list... so the bots have to find your new content themselves. If right after the new post, your subscriber happens to like it, submits it to Digg, shares it in Google Reader, and all the new audience do all the social activities, and at any other time the social site does the ping--not your site, Google will learn your content from other site.

    And if it happens to be news site, experts believe it has some power in it, i.e. rank immediately for long tail keywords, etc, because the content is voted and linked to by others, not because you say it's new.

    I hope I explained it well enough.

    Just a theory that I tried to prove myself, but so far, don't see any significant result. But perhaps my posts were not submitted often enough to social sites right after they were published, so I am still unsure if this actually works or not.

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Hi Adarsh,

    You may be right about all those other services. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Pingomatic.com is constantly adding sites that it pings. So even my "short list" may be outdated.

    Good work on the research!

    Gary
    Thanks Gary. All for good
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlee View Post
    Hi Adarsh, the reason is actually beyond that.

    Ping is a bit overused because you can put in any RSS feed and get search engine bots to come by pinging. So over time, there is really nothing so special about it.

    Sure, those RSS aggregators and Google may come a minute after you post, so what? It's not likely you will rank for highly searched keyword either. And because everyone and their brothers and sisters are using it, including web spammers, there is again nothing special about having this fresh content over here.

    Another twist, which I mentioned in my previous post, is to delete the ping list... so the bots have to find your new content themselves. If right after the new post, your subscriber happens to like it, submits it to Digg, shares it in Google Reader, and all the new audience do all the social activities, and at any other time the social site does the ping--not your site, Google will learn your content from other site.

    And if it happens to be news site, experts believe it has some power in it, i.e. rank immediately for long tail keywords, etc, because the content is voted and linked to by others, not because you say it's new.

    I hope I explained it well enough.

    Just a theory that I tried to prove myself, but so far, don't see any significant result. But perhaps my posts were not submitted often enough to social sites right after they were published, so I am still unsure if this actually works or not.
    Hello hdlee. I think, you explained it pretty well and I have to agree with you. This whole pingomatic crap seems to be totally useless because it is simply better that Search Engines care to find your content instead you go chasing them post after post. I mean, what's the point, it is better to make sure that enough time is given to quality content rather than running after ping services

    ok, this is my final conclusion to this ping thing, bye bye pingomatic! Once again, thanks hdlee, Gary and everyone who provided information in this thread

    Regards.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

  18. #18
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    If indeed the pinging function of WP is of little or no value, then is there a way to turn off that function?

    I know by installing that cbnet Ping Optimizer, I can make the choice to NOT ping pingomatic.com or whatever list of ping sites I have in the "Update Services" field under "Settings-Reading." Without such a plugin installed, it seems to me that WP automatically does the pinging every time you post or edit a post.

    So I would suggest, if you don't wish to "ping" or use the "Update Services," you ought to make sure that you've removed pingomatic.com or any other URLs that ping.

    With that option left blank, I would assume no pinging happens -- but I haven't checked that anywhere to be sure?
    Generate more fake news.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    67
    Once my site is at PR 4, Google come to crawl for a few pages several times per day. Yes, I opened the raw log to see the activities in real time in one window once.

    It's likely that Google will find new content very quickly. But to get the "freshness" advantage, again, it's better for the bot to learn about your new content from other sites. The more the better.

    I like this idea so much that I'll continue the experiment a bit more.

    Besides, I haven't seen any impact of removing ping list, traffic wise, to my site.

    Gary, removing pingomatic will do it.

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador Adarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2008
    Location
    CHD, India
    Posts
    692
    Yes, I believe that too Gary. I guess, if we do not wish to ping any service at all, simply remove all the links you see on this page: Settings > Writing > Update Services

    I guess, if there ain't no URLs there, Wordpress won't send pings to any service. By the way, if anyone has a different opinion on this, we welcome and request you to share your experience. I'm still researching/learning on this topic, will keep you updated if I find anything new.

    Regards,
    Adarsh.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2010
    Posts
    20
    Can we disable the function in Wordpress > Setting > Writing > Update Services.?.do the ping optimizer plugin overwrites the normal pinging mechanism in WP Wordpress or doesnt send any pings to any service

  22. #22
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by recardo View Post
    Can we disable the function in Wordpress > Setting > Writing > Update Services.?.do the ping optimizer plugin overwrites the normal pinging mechanism in WP Wordpress or doesnt send any pings to any service
    I just checked to be sure, and that cbnet Ping Optimizer plugin I use has a box you can check or uncheck that says "Enable Pinging." I would assume leaving it unchecked would disable pinging.

    I would assume leaving the "Update Services" section "URLs to Ping" empty would do the same thing, but I don't know.
    Generate more fake news.

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    August 7th, 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    10
    Do any of the list of pinging services, in post #5, ping Technorati? Or do you need to set up a separate ping for Technorati if your blog is listed with them?

    Thanks

  24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Vampireskunk will be available for article writing services
    By VampireSkunk in forum Member Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM
  2. need help setting up shareasale w/wordpress wishlist
    By hermedia in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
  3. Setting Up Wordpress On Your Own Hosting Thread
    By Trust in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: April 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •