How can Affiliates track their sales.
    Hi

I have a website for selling concert tickets in Europe and promoting European Affiliate Networks. My Website is well optimized and is already around 2 years online. I am having (average) around 300 views and around 200 Unique visitors for my optimized (e.g.Michael Jackson concert london) keywords from GOOGLE (the visitors are sent ahead to the ticket seller site throught a BUY button like this MICHAEL JACKSON CONCERT LONDON --> BUY TICKETS). In the beginning, for the group I am selling tickets, as they announced there concerts tour for Europe(in December) the conversion rate was very good for the first week, second week got a little less conversions and by the end of the first month the conversions dropped drastically(0 conversions in the last week) - without ANY CHANGE IN the traffic. OK I said, this network is not giving me the sales any more that I am looking for, I moved to the NEXT Network and to the other company and changed ALL LINKS in my site to the 2nd company.

The other company started also very good with many conversions per Week(I felt CONFIRMED about what I thought about the first company, 7 days - 0 conversions : NETWORK CHANGED : Next day 2 conversions!!), the Second network + ticketseller company converted very well for around 5 weeks. After that the conversions dropped(after those good 5 weeks the next month 2,400 CLICK THROUGH {from --> BUY TICKETS button} I got 2 sales!!). I thought must be some problem with these guys, I called them and get the answer(as always) they had some tracking problems in past but the displayed statistics are ok(they asked me if any sales were made in this time and if I have some proof of having any sales not tracked!! Date and time of the sale).

I decided to give them a chance for one more month. First week 0 sales, Second Week 1 Sale, Third week 1 sale, Fourth week 0 sale. Again 2 sales in a Month with 2000+ clicks!!

Ok, I decided to move on and joined one more affiliate network and started promoting some other tickets selling company. Guess what the result was? First day 2 conversions with 30 Clicks(as I only changed two --> BUY TICKETS links in my website!!), Second day 2 conversions again from those Two links, third day already after 10 clickthrough I have one conversion(I thought WOW last 10 days before I changed the affiliate network 0 sales : AFFILIATE NETWORK CHANGED : 3 days - 5 sales). OH God, I don't Know how long is this game going to run on this network now.

Has anyone noticed similar behavior: Change links to new network and sales start coming in for few weeks and then just clicks. Move to next network, sales start showing up and within weeks, just clicks. Move to another network, sales pick up and then slowly dies within weeks/days. I have already seen this behavior on these networks: Cleafs, Zanox. Any comments?

I am slowly running out of finding more affiliate networks and more tickets selling merchants (very time consuming job, finding -> required affiliate network, finding tickets sellers, and joining them, and creating new links, and replacing all links) and really wants to concentrate on putting more content to promote the merchants.

I was thinking of some method through which the people who buy tickets from my site will fill a form after buying the tickets!! I try to put this together under :

Customer clicks on --> BUY MICHAEL JACKSON TICKETS

Customer lands on MY site on another page where Title says --> WIN an iPhone: AFTER you have ordered your tickets fill this small form and you will be participating in the Iphone win scheme(the winner will be announced on 22nd August).

In that page I can set some form fields to ask his details about the :-

emailaddress
    order number
    tickets buying time
    tickets quantity
    and so on.....

And on this page I can place a link to the merchant's site through my affiliate link where the customer can buy tickets(which will open in a new window).

This Iphone winning page can be set to noindex nofollow for SEO.

In this way I have atleast one method to be sure that I will be able to track atleast many customers if not all.

What are your suggestions, or do any body know any thing better, that can be done from affiliates point of view.

Regards and Thank you for your suggestions and advices.
    twikker
    Last edited by twikker; May 6th, 2010 at 07:09 AM.

twikker,

Stop hopping from one network to another. Pick one reputable merchant/network and stick with it.

Concentrate on building your website. Add content, coupons, artist bios, etc.

Do not run an iPhone contest (too many problems/rules, and will loose money); people are not going to give you their order information.

Look at your Analytics and see where people are coming from and what they're searching for. I would assume that you're getting traffic/sales spikes for specific pre-concerts sales then that traffic/sales decreases as that specific concert approaches and passes. That's expected for dated products such as tickets; so offer more content to get those people to revisit and to get new people to visit.

Set up a biweekly or monthly newsletter to capture email addresses. In the newsletter, tell people about upcoming concerts, discount coupons, upcoming CD releases, etc.

Set up a blog. Post about upcoming concerts, etc. And also post about concerts you're going to and have been to. Let people add comments (but moderate and with CAPTCHA on to prevent spam) about their concert experience. Or set up a forum with a sub-forum for each band. You can post about tickets, and you/others can post about concert experiences, etc. That builds community and is a reason for people to come back to your site.

To automatically show concert events on your site, see Concert Diary. Their events tool can be embedded in your site; I think you can specify search parameters as part of the embed code. You can see it used on the Classic FM London concert diary page.

Research what other affiliates in this niche are doing. Look at your analytics for keywords and search for those (and other) keywords and see what shows up. See what those sites are doing.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    Ticketmaster offers an affiliate program that would meet your needs. I would trust Ticketmaster before I would trust the shysters you're dealing with. It's obvious that the merchants are not being honest, and in all reality, they are losing big time because you are a performing affiliate. What kind of affiliate program doesn't want to keep performing affiliates?
    Affiliate marketing is not just a way to make money, it's a way of life.
    Maxwell Garner | Owner | [URL="http://creditcardaffiliateservices.com"]CreditCardAffiliateServices.com[/URL] | Phone - 407-504-5944

Hi Twikker,

I have experienced same sort of trends on more than one network. I have experienced this sort of crap with Viagogo in past (6 months ago). I have COMPLETELY given up on Viagogo because no matter what they say, I know they are playing with affiliates all the time.

Your Questions:
    "Has anyone noticed similar behavior: Change links to new network and sales start coming in for few weeks and then just clicks. Move to next network, sales start showing up and within weeks, just clicks. Move to another network, sales pick up and then slowly dies within weeks/days. I have already seen this behavior on these networks: Cleafs, Zanox. Any comments?"

Yes, I have experienced this sort of nonsense. A lot of networks do this sorta crap, they lure affiliates by giving few sales and then all of a sudden the sales disappear. The traffic keeps increasing but the sales don't increase. And when you ask them, what's wrong? They say, nothing's wrong, give us proof of sales. HOW can affiliates give proof of sales? So generally, this is a way to slap affiliates and ask them to shut up.

For the suggestions you have provided to run contest and offer iPhone, I don't think it is a bad idea. But be careful, customers don't like filling too many forms. What sort of contest that would be if only 5 or 10 customers participate? You will be burning cash on prizes. But there is no harm in experimenting. Who knows, you may be able to help a lot of affiliate with your experiments.

Regards.

Sales tracking method for affiliates.
    To cusimano,

Thanks for your suggestions,you pointed me some very good resources which I was not aware of(Concert diary). I read your other suggestions as well,
    Quote Originally Posted by cusimano View Post
    I would assume that you're getting traffic/sales spikes for specific pre-concerts sales then that traffic/sales decreases as that specific concert approaches and passes.
    The answer to your assumption is NO. The band I am promoting(in Germany) has announced there concerts for Germany in December - 2009 and since than till now none of there concerts have took place in Germany!!

Stop hopping from one network to another. Pick one reputable merchant/network and stick with it.
    Exactly this is what I also want to do(and trying to find), A reputable network who also believe in paying their affiliates for their efforts and made sales!! I have read this in many forums that do not promote or stop promoting thief affiliate networks/merchants thats why looking for something better and reliable.
    Concentrate on building your website. Add content, coupons, artist bios, etc.

Do not run an iPhone contest (too many problems/rules, and will loose money); people are not going to give you their order information.

Look at your Analytics and see where people are coming from and what they're searching for. I would assume that you're getting traffic/sales spikes for specific pre-concerts sales then that traffic/sales decreases as that specific concert approaches and passes. That's expected for dated products such as tickets; so offer more content to get those people to revisit and to get new people to visit.

Set up a biweekly or monthly newsletter to capture email addresses. In the newsletter, tell people about upcoming concerts, discount coupons, upcoming CD releases, etc.

Set up a blog. Post about upcoming concerts, etc. And also post about concerts you're going to and have been to. Let people add comments (but moderate and with CAPTCHA on to prevent spam) about their concert experience. Or set up a forum with a sub-forum for each band. You can post about tickets, and you/others can post about concert experiences, etc. That builds community and is a reason for people to come back to your site.

To automatically show concert events on your site, see Concert Diary. Their events tool can be embedded in your site; I think you can specify search parameters as part of the embed code. You can see it used on the Classic FM London concert diary page.
    These are very good suggestions and I really respect you for giving me these tips(but all these efforts done by an affiliate will make him feel shame when he will see his account after the month is gone and he has made only 50$ with 5000 or 10,000 clicks and all the years of hard work to get the audience!!).

And unfortunately these tips you suggested are also going a little away from the topic(thats why I have repeated the topic above this message - Sales tracking method for affiliates.) My problem is not that how I get traffic, my problem(and I think also for many other affiliates) the problem is which network is REALLY reliable AND how can affiliates really track the sales to test the given merchant or network(specially when an affiliate has very targetted traffic). I gave Zanox and there merchant in the first 15 days of announcement of the concerts around 15,000 € of NETTO sales!! Why this happened to change in the coming months with almost(a little less) same traffic that the sales can go down from e.g. from 35 sales a month to 2 sales a month??? I know my keywords exactly which are sending me the fan's / customers. And I tell you one more thing that how my website is made, See the website of TICKETMASTER for example!! or ANY OTHE TICKETS SELLING Merchant like stubhub.com, viagogo.com, seatwave.com, getmein.com, worldticketshop.com(I have studied there websites thoroughly) they get there TRAFFIC with different methods(Google, affiliates and so on...), I get my traffic only from google, I made my website the same way like some other big players just to SELL/BUY tickets (I don't think there is any thing wrong with my website otherwise I would have not been in Google number one for more than one and a half year for my targetted keywords in very competitve tickets area).

There are different methods of making website, one you suggested above like blog and all that email stuff, the other way is Selling products directly as AMAZON or other merchants are doing. MY website is like the merchants websites, to sell prodcuts/tickets. One can understand a website like a SHOP, customers search for a product in google, come to the shop, buy the product and thats all. Now one can argue not all people buy the products from the given website, yes I agree BUT How many people will not buy after clickting on the Buy link? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,........100, 1000, and than you see one sale!! it is not acceptable by ANY BUSINESSMAN of this world!!!! Further I would like to mention here that it is around 01:00 AM here in Germany and on the third day by the new network I am already viewing 3 sales made yesterday(can anybody explain or justify that how and why it is happening?? and why I should not be suspicious about the other networks?).

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellgarner View Post
    Ticketmaster offers an affiliate program that would meet your needs. I would trust Ticketmaster before I would trust the shysters you're dealing with. It's obvious that the merchants are not being honest, and in all reality, they are losing big time because you are a performing affiliate. What kind of affiliate program doesn't want to keep performing affiliates?
    That was a very good suggestion Max but unfortunately they don't have the tickets of the Band which I am promoting on my website(Very popular band, strange that ticketmaster.de don't have tickets for the German concerts). I will keep a close look on them. And thanks for your comments about me, I can understand what a good affiliate manager like you can do to a company but unfortunately not all affiliate managers are good(we have a thread here on abestweb about the affiliate managers), You said right again that a company can loose too much money if they don't understand/cooperate/be honest to there affiliates(I gave these 15,000€ Netto sales to the Zanox after I Left the cleafs.com network - that means if I would have promoted the cleafs.com merchant ahead they would have made this revnue, now zanox.com's merchant profitted from me). We are "almost free" advertising agents for these big companies, what I don't understand though is if they have to advertise in the TV they pay 50,000$ for that! if they want to advertise on Radio they pay 10,000$ for that, but if a publisher/affiliate advertise for them and bring business to them (lets say 20,000$) it is difficult for them to pay 500$ for his efforts!!

Thanks Adarsh for your feedback, I am trying to get more responses about the iPhone like schemes(There must be some websites who are already running winning schemes online, I think I will have to join such a website and than I can promote them as well on my website, that way I will have nothing to worry about the costs and rules and so on.) Lets see if someone can suggest / help with some good method or better methods.
    Last edited by twikker; May 6th, 2010 at 07:35 PM.

That was the first thing that came to mind after i read the post!

OP you should try finding another German ticket supplier and see if there is anyway you can work out some type of affiliate terms.. try CJ or even linkshare if anything

Worth a try, no?

Goodluck Though!

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    We are a secondary ticketer and as an affiliate program manager trying to build a small (and until now somewhat neglected) program, I WANT my affiliates to make money, so they'll push my links and not the links of the other guys. Otherwise I'll never get my boss and his monthly "targets" off my back (he wants a certain number of sales every day, which I cannot track if I am ripping my affiliates off).

Secondary tickets has a bad name because of the "scalper" status, but this doesn't transfer to the larger secondary websites that coalesce brokers' tickets in one place like TicketLiquidator or StubHub, etc.

I guess you don't want to name and shame, but it seems odd to me that a ticket company would try to screw one of their productive publishers, and not just one but more than one in more than one network.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Good discussion, one request though. Being an affiliate marketer, I'm really interested in understanding how affiliates can track their sales. Would appreciate if anyone can provide some tools or suggestions that can be used to "track sales". When a customer clicks on BUY NOW link, it means that the customer is interested in buying. So the Click:Sales conversion rate should be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian H - TicketLiquidator View Post
    We are a secondary ticketer and as an affiliate program manager trying to build a small (and until now somewhat neglected) program, I WANT my affiliates to make money, so they'll push my links and not the links of the other guys. Otherwise I'll never get my boss and his monthly "targets" off my back (he wants a certain number of sales every day, which I cannot track if I am ripping my affiliates off).

Secondary tickets has a bad name because of the "scalper" status, but this doesn't transfer to the larger secondary websites that coalesce brokers' tickets in one place like TicketLiquidator or StubHub, etc.

I guess you don't want to name and shame, but it seems odd to me that a ticket company would try to screw one of their productive publishers, and not just one but more than one in more than one network.
    Thanks for your offer about ticketliquidator, The ticketliquidator site was known to me and I have already checked the site in past. As I am in Germany and targetting basically German people, thats why an English site like ticketliquidator is only a secondary option for me. Secondly I would like to suggest you(as from Affiliate point of view) Ticket liquidator is using the same script(automated-system) for selling tickets which is provided/Sold by (I think)--> ticketnetwork.com(or ticketmaster.com - I can't remember) to many 100 Small level merchants. The most webmasters/Affiliates though would like to promote websites Directly which are working on their own instead of using some sort of system which is used by many 100 other tickets sites. This is just only my opinion or the way I rate the merchants before I join Affiliate programms of the merchants.

You can try chnaging that(or suggest the owners of Ticketliquidator.com) to make tests on that, or to hear the opinion of some tickets selling webmasters. May be it can help you in boosting your site's Value more in the webmasters and they become affiliate more easily. As I said this is just only my own opinion!!

Here for a proof I am attaching an image of my sales made in the last few days on the new merchant(I am testing with many different merchants on my site now and sending a few visitors to all different sites to see the results). http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5899/statsvz.png It is clearly visible that such Conversion rates are easily acheivable!! 536 Clicks : 17 conversions!! Same website - same stuff - Very less visitors and on one day I have 37 clicks to 4 sales(It is a conversion rate of around 12%)!! In the mean time I am also sending the traffic to some other merchant from the same website and from the same type of links as well, the tickets prices are also ALMOST SAME!! There I have not seen a single sale in all this time!!!!!!!!! WHY?

What I don't understand is, in this whole game of affiliate marketing only the merchant have the complete power to make the things work according to their wishes.

I hope that someone can really suggest a good way in favour of Affiliates to some how track the things or to do the things in a better way. Publishers work day and night to get traffic, Optimizing Pages, Keyword analysis, SEO, Write articles here and there, getting links, and a lot more to make their site work. After all this most(but not all) of the publishers are simply left without paying for their efforts.

IMO the system can be changed and can be improved if the Affiliate networks also wants to help the publishers really!

Regards
    twikker

Quote Originally Posted by twikker View Post
    What I don't understand is, in this whole business of affiliate marketing only the merchant have the complete power to make the things work according to their wishes.

I hope that someone can really suggest a good way in favour of Affiliates to some how track the things or to do the things in a better way. Publishers work day and night to get traffic, Optimizing Pages, Keyword analysis, SEO, Write articles here and there, getting links, and a lot more to make their site work. After all this most(but not all) of the publishers are simply left without paying for their efforts.

IMO the system can be changed and can be improved if the Affiliate networks also wants to help the publishers really!

Regards
    twikker
    I will pass this over to experienced affiliates, affiliate managers, merchants and Networks. They are the one who can shed some light on your questions and suggestions. But definitely interested in understanding what they think.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread