Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Google Mayday Update - Google's Continued Encroachment - Important Google Changes
    Well, today I started to see Google "Shopping" links On the left hand side of search results for e-commerce keywords. For example, "Ipod Nano 8GB", "Bedroom Furniture Sets", etc. The shopping links go straight to Google Product Search.

This is a problem for PPC because only the top two PPC ads are above the fold in product search. This is a problem for natural search results because it excludes affiliate sites completely.

See screenshot if you aren't seeing these results yet, I think Google is gradually rolling them out to their datacenters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

This has been coming and for the life of me I can't figure out why there isn't a mile long thread on it here.

This is what I see for "Bedroom Furniture Sets". Like you said I don't think it's completely rolled out.

Edit: Wonder why my image has no large version here.

Last edited by MichaelColey; May 6th, 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Inserted image into post.

The pathetic thing is that Google is going to start killing off the web if they keep this up. Sites rely on visitors to stay in business, and Google's scraping (and honestly, that's what it is) of other sites' content is depriving those sites of visitors. Why go to Southwest.com to check on a flight time (and possibly interact in such a way that earns Southwest money) when you can just go to Google and get the flight time? I know, it's an old, old argument. But as Google is getting bigger and bigger, these kinds of effects are hard to dispute. Their own Super Bowl ad showed how someone could live their life (so to speak) without ever leaving Google... and Google isn't creating the content, they're just scraping it from other sources and displaying it.

Used to be, Google just gave you a list of links and a two-line description. It was better that way, in my opinion.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Tax Paying Member
    My question is, is Gugg moving toward collecting affiliate commissions on this???? Or have they already created a way to collect the commissions?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    My question is, is Gugg moving toward collecting affiliate commissions on this???? Or have they already created a way to collect the commissions?
    They do not appear to be heavily monetizing their product search yet.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

15 years and counting
    They are always trying new stuff. These last few days, for any search terms, I had always two of my sites (but not always the same) above SERP and Ads with a big yellow star on the left. I'm pretty sure they were scrapping my files to discover my surfing habit and customize my own search pages with the most visited sites.
    It's gone now.

We've given them the power to do what they want. This comes back to my whole argument to merchants flocking to google's affiliate program. Where is Googles loyalty to them?? Those merchants don't even show up first in search most of the time. That company is too full of greed.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    They are always trying new stuff.
    True, the are always trying new stuff, but some things stick, and lately, google has been changing more and more as they funnel results to Google Product Search, in one way or another. Examples include Product Search pricing blocks (that seems to be a permanent change) and also thumbnail images on Brick & Mortar PPC ads (also courtesy of Google Product Search).

I've added an annotated attachment to illustrate, because I don't know the "official" names of the two recent product search related changes that I've been seeing for most of the year.

There was actually another Google Product Search related change in my screenshots. "Show products from this advertiser". See attached screenshot for the expanded view.

Not sure how widespread the rollout of these new search features is yet. So far I'm not seeing a discernible difference in PPC CTR or CR.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    Not sure how widespread the rollout of these new search features is yet. So far I'm not seeing a discernible difference in PPC CTR or CR.
    I'm currently running about 500k keywords in adwords. I've seen a significant drop off in CTR and position for some areas. Electronics, for instance, has been hard hit in my campaigns.

That being said, I'm still making good money. I just feel like my days are numbered, and that I need to branch out.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I need to branch out.
    Agreed. I need to diversify too.

I think the product results can be useful when you're searching for a specific product, like in electronics or other "hard goods," but are cluttering and intrusive on some more general searches like you furniture set example.
    Your Ad Here.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I've seen a small decline in traffic the last day or so from Goog.

7 - 800 visitors a day --- POOF!

I'm thinking that they are doing something with this new look and feel that will affect many of us in the pocket book.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Well... for affiliates, Google was better as a description and a link.

But for searchers, there were a lot of links to crappy sites.

Google is providing a service by pulling the searched for information instead of sending the searcher to go look for it. Yes, this is why a lot of people are screaming about Google stealing content and keeping people on their site.

Makes complete sense that Google will stop sending people to shopping sites and just use their own technology to provide all the options and price lists within the Google environment.

Things continue to change....

Google continues to be the 3 million pound gorilla in the net....
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    Well... for affiliates, Google was better as a description and a link.

But for searchers, there were a lot of links to crappy sites.

Google is providing a service by pulling the searched for information instead of sending the searcher to go look for it. Yes, this is why a lot of people are screaming about Google stealing content and keeping people on their site.

Makes complete sense that Google will stop sending people to shopping sites and just use their own technology to provide all the options and price lists within the Google environment.

Things continue to change....

Google continues to be the 3 million pound gorilla in the net....
    So freaking true.....

Good post -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Jimmy, I have been hearing that Google is making some changes to long-tail search terms. A lot of people have been talking about a loss of traffic in the past few days.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2 View Post
    Jimmy, I have been hearing that Google is making some changes to long-tail search terms. A lot of people have been talking about a loss of traffic in the past few days.
    I'm thinking that local / micro targeted search terms are the future...

Got my sprinkler site indexed in a few days using SR, and the traffic is actually stunning..

Very micro-targeted for my customers locally...

That said, it's not going to help affiliate traffic unless the niche can be localized...

Roses in Katy Texas.

Buy roses in Bodunk Ill.

I need roses delivered fast in blah....

etc..

SEO is not what it used to be.....

Gonna take some effort and a hell of a lot of time to micro-target everything.

Goog knows who we are.

Where we live.

What we shop for.

Got Gas?

They prolly know if it came from beans or cabbage..

We can b i t c h and gripe, but going with the flow is prolly more profitable.

IMHO!

True, the are always trying new stuff, but some things stick
    The google changes were announced yesterday and are in the process of being rolled out:
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...-new-look.html

The Fewer Shopping Sites, More Shopping Sites selection on the left affects the organic results. I find my site moves up when Fewer Shopping Sites is selected, guess google hasn't figured out that my affiliate site is a shopping site (please don't tell them).

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy View Post

We can b i t c h and gripe, but going with the flow is prolly more profitable.

IMHO!
    Feels like the flow is toward the water falls.

It looks, as somebody mentioned, that Google is trying to substitute itself in place of the affiliate click. That would make you wonder why they ever bought what we call GAN now. Could it be that they will be the only affiliate left standing at GAN a few years from now.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Feels like the flow is toward the water falls.

Could it be that they will be the only affiliate left standing at GAN a few years from now.
    I am with you on this John. There seems to have been a flurry of merchants moving to GAN recently. Have they got access to some information that we don't?? Wonder what Goog has promised them....
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Major changes @ Google
    In the past couple days there's been a significant change in the way that Google displays search results, and many SEO people are predicting a noticeable drop in visitor traffic as a result. My own sites are considerably down. This change is just rolling out right now so depending where you are, you may not see it fully, but it's coming. If you don't see it yet, this link will provide some screenshots:

SiliconAngle.com

Will be more than a little interested to see if this decline continues, and if others report the same thing. Let's hope it is short-lived, otherwise, we may all be out some $$...

There is a good deal of discussion on that here too: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132637

http and a telephoto
    Merged threads to keep discussion in one place and changed the title slightly to indicate the discussion going on.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post

This is a problem for PPC because only the top two PPC ads are above the fold in product search. This is a problem for natural search results because it excludes affiliate sites completely.

See screenshot if you aren't seeing these results yet, I think Google is gradually rolling them out to their datacenters.
    According to your screenshot I see 3 PPC ads at the top, the first 2 natural results, and 5 right-hand ads above the fold...

I dunno about ya .. but this left hand thingy @ GOOGLE

Looks exactly like what YAHOO has .. ?

LOL
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast