Different results at google.ca vs google.com
    Hi all,

Being a Canadian affiliate I have always been using google.ca to perform my searches. I was quite happy that one of my terms was ranked quite well on google.ca (4th on page 1), but I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting more hits for that term. I tried my search on google.com and noticed that I am in position #10. Not complaining about being on Page 1, but am still not sure why the results differ. The niche I chose would probably be search more by American users (baseball related), so i'm wondering if there is a setting that I may have missed? Perhaps I need to target .com users in Webmaster Tools?

Thanks!

Is your tld a .com or .ca ?
    Did you specify your target market in Webmaster Tools?
    Are your merchants mostly selling to Canadian market and have a Canadian tld?

Yes, if you are targeting just U.S. I would specify that in Webmaster Tools, but better yet why not target the whole world. Baseball is very popular all around the world, like Japan, Caribbean, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    adammo,

I am not sure what the exact Googleeze is but you are describing country specific results versus the "top of directory" results. The difference in position is most likely due to the fact that there is far less competition for your key phrase in Canadian results than on the .com domain. So you show well in Canada but not so well when the rest of the worlds results are included into the mix.

The up side is that being in Canada, you can use this to your advantage - less competition in your own back yard. Who wouldn't want that?

One other thing, make sure you have "customization" disabled in your Google search preferences

Thanks to you both! I am using a .com domain and have not changed anything in Webmaster Tools (i.e. the Target Users checkbox is not selected). This merchant supplies most of its goods to US customers.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    adammo,

I am not sure what the exact Googleeze is but you are describing country specific results versus the "top of directory" results. The difference in position is most likely due to the fact that there is far less competition for your key phrase in Canadian results than on the .com domain. So you show well in Canada but not so well when the rest of the worlds results are included into the mix.

The up side is that being in Canada, you can use this to your advantage - less competition in your own back yard. Who wouldn't want that?
    Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Because I am searching using Google.ca, Google is returning results that are targeted to Canadian users first? My question is how if I am using a .com domain does Google realize that I am a Canadian providing content? I'd love to take advantage of this, but am not sure I understand what you mean completely. Sometimes i'm a little slow .

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    One other thing, make sure you have "customization" disabled in your Google search preferences
    Where is this option located?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by adammo View Post
    ... Just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Because I am searching using Google.ca, Google is returning results that are targeted to Canadian users first? My question is how if I am using a .com domain does Google realize that I am a Canadian providing content? I'd love to take advantage of this, but am not sure I understand what you mean completely. Sometimes i'm a little slow . ...
    Google uses "personalized search" so each user see results personalized to them. One factor is the user's location (based on IP and whatever else Google knows about the user). Two users that are 10 miles (or 10km) apart could see different results for the same keyword search. There are ways to turn personalizes search off so you can see generic results (e.g.: add &pws=0 to the end of a Google search URL).

Google also uses information about your server's location and its content. See: Geotargeting (Google Master Tools).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Well, the way I do it, when I type in a search query in the search box, I see the results come up. On the right hand corner I see in Google page "web history" link.

When I click on it, it shows a link to "Disable customization based on search activity".

When you click that it will disable customization.

Do you search again based on your keywords, and see where your site now comes up.

Ofcourse I periodically have to go back and disable customization because leGoog always sneakishly puts it back in.

Attached Images Attached Images

Also you can use the google dance tool to see in various countries how you rank:

http://www.google-dance-tool.com/

Hi adammo,

Google differentiate BASICALLY the users from their Language setup in the Browser!!! I use different google tld's to analyze the search results on regular basis. Some examples of that :-->
    1) http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&so...=Google+Search in this search the search domain of google is .de but --> hl=en says that user has to be presented the search results in English i.e. from google.com servers!!

2) http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&so...=Google+Search Same Keywords, same google domain, German Language hence you willl see the GERMAN websites on top in the search results.

Same happens with the Google.com domain,
    3) http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&s...=Google+Search Will display the German Search results on top because the search person used a browser which has language set to german. (google automatically detects the language for BETTER user experience and to display the Geo targetted results which are more useful for the Users than the results of American or Canadian websites).

4) Another example http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&so...=Google+Search

Now all this is just only one part of the google displaying the Geo search results.

Second most important fact is your Website's tld, If you have a U2tickets.ca website your site Will automatically be assumed by google for the CANADIAN users!!

Third important fact is Google Webmasters tools(search in google if you don't know what is this and make an account for your website in the Google webmasters tools), In your account in google webmasters tools, you can set different settings about your websites and there you can set for which country you want to target your website. If you have set there that you want to target your website for USA or for CANADA than google will send you the traffic(show in search results your website) only for that country!!

You can see/analyze your traffic in your stats of the website(I use Statcounter.com) there is all your traffic listed from which country(from which google tld) they are coming to your website.

IMO if you want to rank higher for the .ca search results as well as for .com results in google, you will have to get some BACKLINKS from different websites which include both domain tld's(It is just my assumption, I have not tested it yet).

Hope that helps,
    Regards
    twikker

Thanks again everyone. Lots of good info to digest!

Quote Originally Posted by twikker View Post
    Second most important fact is your Website's tld, If you have a U2tickets.ca website your site Will automatically be assumed by google for the CANADIAN users!!
    Thanks for all of the links, they were helpful. Just wanted to clarify this statement. So thinking about Canada again, let's say someone was making a hockey equipment site. When I type hockey equipment into the google.ca, there is only one result on the first page with a .ca tld. So if I plan to target the Canadian audience, I would set up a .ca ltd, and assume that most of my Canadians users would be using google.ca?

Thanks!

There are a few facts that make your website appear on the front page of google search results. Alone having a .ca tld is not enough e.g. for the searched keywords (hockey equipment) very less people have optimized there website or they have enough hockey equipment but they are simply not making a post with the keywords hockey equipment in that.

Or the other search results you are seeing for the hockey equipment in google on first page are getting more backlinks from canadian sites and they have optimized there site better. Or those website owners have simply set in there Webmaster tools account that they want to target there sites to Canadian audience. Or English(hl=en) is basically the same language as USA so it might be possible that the people are seeing the same search results as from google.com.

If you want to go for this keyword than you IMO the best way is to break the keywords on a smaller levels like http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&so...=Google+Search City based keywords, or on state level!! in this search i don't really see that anybody is targetting these keywords on this level. After creating a post(title, description, keywords - only my suggestion as I like to do it properly for SEO reasons) on city level you simply need one or two back links to that post(with some good anchor - or with the keywords you want to rank) for appearing in google search results very high.

Here in Germany I have seen this people combining in the Auto industry(Car spare parts). It is hard to find a seat cover that really is made to fit for a particular car. Let's say - "Seat cover Focus", you will find dubious websites targetting these keywords because they know with this they can rank easily very high. But in the reality these are the same universal seatcovers which every one is selling very cheap around.

BTW very good keyword you have found there. You can create even a site around this keyword(if you can find a particular merchant who is running an affiliate programm). You can create as I said above pages around cities names. The City names are a common keyword today which is used in the Hotel websites, Holiday websites, Concert websites, Spare Parts, Electronics and many many other branches as well.

Good luck

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread