I 'll be in the area for a weekend with my wife, then a workshop (actually, the workshop is in Lawrence, KS). Tips, advice, etc. welcome! Oh, and anyone want to get together for a drink on the 17th?

Karl,
    Yep - we live in Olathe which is a suburb of Kansas City. We just moved here 2 years ago, so I am still figuring things out myself.

Things you should see:
    The Plaza - lots of great shopping and restaurants. This is a must see while in Kansas City. You can even take a tour of the plaza in a horse drawn carriage.

River Market District - I have not been to this attraction yet, but I it is kindof a loft type area. Supposedly good restaurants and neat shops.

Arabia Steamboat Exhibit - Again, I have not visited this yet, but I have heard that it is a must see. This boat was sunk in the river long ago. The mud preserved it and now they are excavating it. You can observe it and many of the items they found in the museum.

Nelson Art Gallery - good art museum

The Kansas University (in Lawrence) campus is nice as well. Downtown Lawrence is also a neat place to walk and visit the shops.

We are out of town on the 17th so the drink is unfortunately out for me.

Let me know if you need any specifics and I will see what I can do to help.

Burke

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Philly,

I went to KU (go Hawks) and the one great place I can remember that you should go is Yellow Sub. They had great sub sandwiches. Other than that (we're talking almost 20 years ago) the campus is beautiful, you should definitely drive around it. If you're there for a conference, I assume you're at the U.

In downtown Kansas City (MO) Westport is big for comedy, restaurants and bars.

Other than that, I can't remember what else is there, other than it being a university town and a long boring drive to/from KCI Airport.

Have a great time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bsnrjones:
    Karl,
    Yep - we live in Olathe which is a suburb of Kansas City. We just moved here 2 years ago, so I am still figuring things out myself.

Things you should see:
    The Plaza - lots of great shopping and restaurants. This is a must see while in Kansas City. You can even take a tour of the plaza in a horse drawn carriage.

Burke <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the Plaza is definetely the place to go while in K.C. Great stores and cafes/restos. Check out Eddie Bauer store while there, they have great sections for household products and apparels as well.

There's also a goodChinese restaurant there, I cant recall the name of it, but it is located in the somewhat older and yet very artistic apartments distric not too far from the Plaza. The Peking duck is very tasty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by REM:

Other than that, I can't remember what else is there, other than it being a university town and a long boring drive to/from KCI Airport.

Have a great time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there are also Chiefs and Royals stadiums to visit And it only takes about 20s minutes from KCI to downtown.

Perhaps you were referring Lawrence, KS as a campus town.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I was referring to Lawrence, as he said that's where his conference is.

Thanks for the great tips!

I've taken a B&B in Baldwin City for the weekend; we'll hit KC over the weekend, then we'll be in Lawrence on Sunday night.

Sorry to see that I won't be able to meet an ABWers, seems like I'm always off-schedule for the get-togethers!

Oh, has anyone heard of a restaurant called La Bodega? We love Spanish food and this one looks interesting. What about it's neighborhood - Southwest Blvd. near the interstate.

I have heard of that restaurant. I have not been there, but a guy I work with has. The neighborhood is fine. Not your picket fence suburban neighborhood, but not bad either.

La Bodega is well known in Kansas City. Go for it....

Burke

ABW Ambassador
    If you like Italian, I remember a restaurant not too far from the airport called Cascones. That was pretty good for Kansas. Later, they opened one up in Overland Park (not sure if it's still there though).

Burke:

Thanks for the confirmation. That'll be our Saturday night destination.

REM: Cool. We need to catch dinner after our flight lands ...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread