15 years and counting
    Another clueless merchant
    I was looking for golf related merchants and I found one with "Affiliates" on the top menu on every page. I was thinking it was the sign up page and the agreement. But, nope. It's an affiliate store, with links to GAN, LinkShare, CJ, Amazon.
    How can we work with merchants that will overwrite our traffic with their own affiliate cookies?
    Here's the link:
    mygolfbook.com/partnersandaffiliates/
    and how they brag about their program:
    If your website has tens of thousands or even millions of visitors per month then our affiliate program provides a unique and beneficial opportunity for you. We created the product and need your help spreading the word.
    We’ve teamed up with Share A Sale, one of the leading administrators of third party affiliate programs, to bring you THE BEST AFFILIATE PROGRAM IN THE GOLF INDUSTRY. Commissions are over 25%.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    That is really weird to have an affiliate linked banner farm on a merchant website.

15 years and counting
    A long time ago Shareasale had many affiliates acting as pseudo merchants to draw traffic to their websites. SAS did a lot to clean their merchants but from time to time a few are able to sneak in. This one is pretty new. Active date: 05/08/2009, just one year ago.

It's just a reminder for the merchants to don't do it. It's so easy to separate ecommerce and affiliate activities. Don't expect to get traffic from affiliates for free.
    Many affiliates are not checking their merchants up to the cart and they wonder why their merchants don't convert.

Good catch Zeus.

For merchants like these I wonder if they are actually clueless or do this on purpose. Especially if they only have one product to promote and that product looks like something I could make myself.

15 years and counting
    I don't know why they are doing this. An affiliate working with 4 major networks should be knowledgeable enough to avoid this mistake. He can lure a few newbies at the beginning but it's not going to last forever. I'm not sure SAS is accepting this kind of leaks anymore.

Affiliate Manager maxwellgarner's Avatar
    It definitely seems like they are more interested in diverting traffic to other merchants than actually selling their pocket book or signing up affiliates. I can't imagine anyone getting that "I have to have it" feeling about that product. Just because of the way the site is set up, I'm sure their product is crap. I wouldn't even give that program two thoughts, they're using affiliate traffic to their site to gain commissions, not to sell their $23 crap-pad.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The company I always got my personalized golfballs and tees from became a SAS merchant - they were just featured in the SAS newsletter... and they have affiliates links all over the place.

I even emailed him about a year ago and told him to add MY banner to his site

Affiliate Manager
    Need help
    I would appreciate if you can tell me
    How long Affiliate Program in SAS takes to work effectively after the activation?
    Where to attract more affiliates to lead the traffic to my site?

Thanks

There are a lot of people out there who do not know what they are going. They come up with some shady idea and then get banned a few days later. It never works. You try to pull some tricks its a long term losing effort.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I don't know why they are doing this. An affiliate working with 4 major networks should be knowledgeable enough to avoid this mistake. He can lure a few newbies at the beginning but it's not going to last forever. I'm not sure SAS is accepting this kind of leaks anymore.
    http://www.shareasale.com/ShareASale...ement-2008.pdf
    All offers that you promote on our network MUST be from your own site if you are
    paying per lead and pay sale transactions. You may NOT promote other affiliate offers
    unless you are paying on a pay-per-click basis. For example, if you place a banner
    promoting an offer that is off of your site, and do not own that site, you cannot
    promote that offer. This is considered fraudulent activity, and your account is subject
    to immediate termination, with NO refund of any fees or deposits that you have made
    to your account.

Says 2008, don't know the policy before that because I remember a lot of leaky merchants in past years that were there. So not sure if this is for 2008-present. So it appears to be a violation of the merchant agreement, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    All offers that you promote on our network MUST be from your own site if you are paying per lead and pay sale transactions. You may NOT promote other affiliate offers unless you are paying on a pay-per-click basis. For example, if you place a banner promoting an offer that is off of your site, and do not own that site, you cannot promote that offer. This is considered fraudulent activity, and your account is subject to immediate termination, with NO refund of any fees or deposits that you have made to your account.
    Wouldn't that apply to AdSense as well?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Brian would have to chime in on that one.

15 years and counting
    It's pretty clear in their agreement but the merchant is still active. Thanks for the link. It's always good to see what's on the merchant side.

Ugh, I hate to see things like this. Obviously, the simplest solution is just for none of us to promote it, but it really makes you wish there were some kind of way to make all the other affiliates promoting them aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    http://www.shareasale.com/ShareASale...ement-2008.pdf

Says 2008, don't know the policy before that because I remember a lot of leaky merchants in past years that were there. So not sure if this is for 2008-present. So it appears to be a violation of the merchant agreement, unless I'm reading that wrong.
    It would be great to know if this was current, so we could report merchants who violate this.

A lot of the mom 'n pop owners truly don't understand what a reciprocal business relationship is & when hard times hit, feel that they "own" any traffic and have no obligation to those who send them it.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread