Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Show Entire Post or Partial Post on Main Page?
    I guess it is standard to show the entire post on the main page as opposed to showing some of the post and having a link to "Read full post" or something?

Is there a WP option or plugin to only show part of the post on the main page?

The Theme I purchased had that built in to the mainpage where you would only show e.g. 200 char and then show the rest in the post. It is done with regular php in the home page so no plugins.

I would not show full post in main page either too much valuable space plus dupe content of your own post.

On the post create/edit page, there is a menu item called MORE. Wherever that tag is inserted, it will only show the post up to that point on the main page.

However, the link that is includes is something like this..
    Code:
    www.blog.com/full-story-here/#more112
    Not sure why it adds that "#more112" crap to the end of the URL. Maybe I need to find where that is created.

When I hover over my <more details> link, I get the same thing. e.g. www.example.com/full-story-here/#more112

112 is probably your post id for that particular post.

When I click on my link it goes to the rest of the page, and doesn't show you from the beginning of the post.

If you want it to link to the top of the page www.example.com/full-story-here/
    you probably have to tinker with the php files to do so..

On most WP themes, if you look at the main index (index.php) you'll find a tag that says something like "... the_content() ..."

If you change "content" to "excerpt," that'll make it show only the excerpt on the main page.

I do most of my affiliate marketing wp setups that way.

Now go to Plugins > Add New and search for "Fancy Excerpt." Install and activate that plugin and instead of showing a "[...]" or the word "more," you'll see "Read more on YOUR POST TITLE ..." that will be clickable.

NOTE: There are no user settings for that Fancy Excerpt plugin, although you can go into Plugins > Edit and poke around if you know a bit of PHP to adjust the size/length of the excerpts that display. (Although if the plugin updates, you'll have to re-edit to keep any changes.)
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks writerguy. That worked well.

Under the "Visual" side of the editor, you can also use the "Insert More Tag" (4th button from the right or Ctrl+Alt+T). That's how I do it. Wherever that is, only the text preceding it will show on the front page and add the "Read the rest of this entry " link.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread