what sort of developer do I need to speak to?
    I am still trying to figure out if I want to sign up for the popshops datapack. I've realized that I need to speak to a suitable developer who will be able to advise me if I can do what I want with script. The main problem is that I don't know what sort of developer I need to look for.
    I will be using popshops on a WP site.
    Can anyone tell me what qualifications/languages I need to look for in a developer?

After a few months of staring, I came to the conclusion that the datapack is overkill for what I need to do with WP. I've done several complete sites in WP with PopShops, using the execPHP and Sniplets plugins. The Shopbuilder-generated PHP code works with either, right out of the box, no heavy coding required - and no need to knit the datapack's PHP into WP's PHP.

If I were to look at datapack in WP again, I'd look for a developer who has produced a handful of proven well-functioning WP themes. Datapack itself is not too difficult to get rolling - heck, I've done it myself and I'm nowhere near being a coder. However, I would not attempt to make it work in WP, as I don't feel comfortable with the intricacies of PHP in WP itself.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

Thanks Caseyfern! Love your site.
    As a datapack user, maybe you can give me a clear answer something: when you use the datapack, do you still use the shopbuilder to build your shops and select items one-by-one, or do all the products from the merchant automatically feed in, without any sorting?
    I am looking to select products one-by-one, but it seems that this might not be possible while get the functionality of the datapack.

@ tblogster : I use the Shopbuilder, position the first round of products, set my individual shop preferences for autofeed [off / broad / narrow ] then use dynamic search to present the products based on what the visitor chooses to do, search for, or select from prebuilt searches presented in the department menus. But I'm not using the datapack.

I did get the datapack to produce displays (without using Shopbuilder) but not for anything visible to the public until I have time to sit down and decide how and when I will use it. I used the examples provided by PopShops in the FAQ, modifying them very carefully (and with absolutely no idea what I was doing) until I got results. I imagine it would have taken a knowledgeable PHP coder a few hours to do this.

I do hope my earlier answer's casual tone didn't infer that this was a comfortable experience for a non-coder. It was easy to get the datapack in place and going. It was not easy to get it to produce the results and look that I sought.

I also know that there's no way I have made the datapack perform anywhere near what it is capable of in the long run. Just because I'm not doing it should in no way insinuate that it shouldn't or can't be done by someone with a fluency in PHP and with Wordpress.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Thanks for your response Caseyfern.
    Did you use the Popshops enterprise version to create Perfectly Shaped World?
    If so, how did you get search results to split up in the multiple pages? e.g. [REMOVED]
    My results always show up on a single page, even if there a hundreds of them.
    Also, how did you get that neat drop-down menu of sub-categories on the top right under the date?
    I didn't know that you could do these things with the enterprise version.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 26th, 2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: removed link

I use Enterprise for 21 stores and blogs/CMS including Perfectly Shaped World, which is driven by a bit over 300 PopShops shop modules output in PHP code modified to work with Smarty PHP. Shop modules used in the Wordpress installations are integrated via ExecPHP or Sniplets plugins, with that choice made depending on the nature and function of the installation (either as blog or as CMS).

Search results populate based on the number of initially placed products. If you place nine products, and search results for, say, plus size blouse return 45 results, the store will generate five pages of nine product results each. If you place 50 products and the search returns 45 results, then all product results will be on one page.

The drop-down menus are done with Smarty PHP code and an include file containing arrays of search values. Each menu code contains a foreach to read the contents of the array of search terms for the appropriate department then parse them into option lines for each search, including the psps_search value from members of those arrays. This is not a part of PopShops but is hand-built for each department of each site.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Thanks Casey Fern. You have been super helpful.
    In some ways your site is very similar to the one I want to create, though with a totally different target market. Your site and your advice have helped me a lot!
    Cheers!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread