Question Hiring someone to converting ASP Classic to PHP
    I have developed a website template in Classic ASP using css that I like. Now what I would like to do is convert this template into PHP, which I know nothing about.

What I am thinking of doing is hiring someone who knows both ASP & PHP very well and convert 3 pages of my site with a lot of documentation in the PHP code. Each page contains several includes for Header, Footer, Menu, etc… which I would also want in the PHP pages as well.

So my questions are:

How do I go about hiring someone to do this??

They would have to connect to my MYSQL database so do I give them the connection information to my real or should I create a copy of my real database with temp passwords etc???

Would I need to setup an FTP account for them to upload/down my code??

What would I expect to pay for such a project say 3 pages with say 200-300 lines of code including includes per page.

Anyone ever do this and if so do you have anyone who you recommend??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Have you thought about posting these specs on eLance and see what the market thinks it would cost? I have never paid for a conversion but my guess is that it would be far cheaper than a bottom-up build. My guess is it wouldn't be more than a couple hundred dolloars.

I will check out the site, one of my concerns is I have no idea what to ask for and how much information I need to give them. Kind of a nervouse about giving a stanger information about my sites (sql database) but I think in this case it will be the best option.

Thanks for the reply...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    ... They would have to connect to my MYSQL database so do I give them the connection information to my real or should I create a copy of my real database with temp passwords etc???

Would I need to setup an FTP account for them to upload/down my code??

What would I expect to pay for such a project say 3 pages with say 200-300 lines of code including includes per page. ...
    1. Database access: You could dump the database to a SQL file and provide that file so the developer can recreate the database locally for development locally. Otherwise, yes, create a copy of the database with its own username/password. The final PHP code should have the username/password in one central location that you can change later for the live version.

2. FTP access: If developer uses their own server for development, provide all the files via a .zip file; then they send a .zip to you with the finished PHP/CSS files that you upload (and modify the MySQL login). Otherwise, yes, create a temporary FTP username/password.

3. Cost: Probably at most US$100 per page. Final cost depends upon the complexity of what your ASP is doing.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

Thanks for the advice David just the suggestions I am looking for.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread