Google Testing New Broad Match Modifier
    I just read about this on Search Engine Land and it seems like a really great thing. If you use broad match on Adwords and monitor the actual keyword phrases people are using, you will find that Adwords synonym matching is really cutting into your profits.

I recently had synonym matching kick in and match a obscure product name with the hot news topic of the day. At .40 cents a click and my PPC ad the only one on the Google search page, that was a $300 broad match mistake. Thankfully I was working late and caught it after only an hour. Now I'm afraid to use that, previously profitable broad match term.

So, Google is testing a broad match modifier that will require search terms to be part of the user search phrase. The example they give is:

formal shoes = formal footwear, evening footwear, men's dress wingtips...

but...

formal +shoes = evening shoes, black dress shoes

but even better....

+formal +shoes = frmal shoes, formal evening shoes

I'm not too happy about the "formal" = "frml" matching, because they do make mistakes with that, but still, a great improvement. Now if they will only roll this out in the United States!

Here is the article:
    http://searchengineland.com/google-a...modifier-41713
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

In the past, I've found it effective to segregate broad-match from the other match types (ideally as separate campaigns), and to apply low budgets/limits to the broad-match campaigns, to avoid the problem you mention.

For many campaigns, I simply didn't use broad match at all (usually after an initial test), because the traffic these keywords generate draws very low conversion rates, when compared to other match-types.

Also beware of how "broad match" can create some very strange results "outside Google" with the Search Network.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    In the past, I've found it effective to segregate broad-match from the other match types (ideally as separate campaigns), and to apply low budgets/limits to the broad-match campaigns, to avoid the problem you mention.
    I prefer phrase match, but have some campaigns that work best with broad match. The example I listed above was the worst I've ever experienced on Adwords. Yahoo, on the other hand.... I don't run a lot of advanced match on Yahoo, their synonym expansion is way too loose.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Great suggestion, Mark.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread