Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Merchants who can't convert at 1 in 100 clicks
    I call BS or your merchandise sucks!
    Either way affiliate's loose. That's all I got to say.
    "This Applies too a few Trusted Merchants Here"

ABW Ambassador
    For some merchants, using the 1 sale in 100 clicks ratio is just ridiculous.

There are many factors to take into consideration. Some products will never convert at 1 in 100, even if the merchant is the best in their field.

No offense, but isn't that a glorious over-simplification?

In some industries affiliates are very happy to see 1 in 250, and average 1 in 500+. Others convert 1 in 20. What type of merchant?

The quality of traffic makes a huge difference as well. What engine, what phrases, email or pop, exit or entry and so on...?

Many times I've had angry affiliates demand to know why their traffic doubled yet their sales stayed the same. When I take a look, 99 times out of 100 their traffic spike was from Googlebot...

Even the time of year or day of the week affects buying patterns. Was it 11:00 am, Easter Sunday or lunch hour, the Monday following payday?

1 in a 100 is a good benchmark for an untested program, but there are too many other factors to make it a rule of thumb.

Best of luck,
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

"There are many factors to take into consideration." Example please.

"In some industries affiliates are very happy to see 1 in 250" Who! your program?

I still stand behind my 1 in 100 if you can not convert at 1 in 100 go away! no BS excuses.

tibbs:

Good strategy. Should leave plenty of room for the rest of us with merchants who convert well in their category, even if that's not 1 in 100.

I attended a conferrence for the online adult industry a couple years ago. Programs represented were bragging about better than 1 in 500 conversions, yet while I was running the Rx Medical program, conversions were much better than 1 in 100.

Yes, different industries convert at different rates.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

phillyBurbs
    That is my strategy 1 in a 100, don't like it cool! You keep using 1 in whateverer and we all get along.

ABW Ambassador
    For the merchants you can't convert 1 in 100 list them and see if other affiliates are converting better, if so the problem is you not the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    I use the "How big is my check each month" criteria. Several of my merchants convert at 1 in 500 or more. But, if there's a sizable check every month, WHO CARES?

Lily

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I've had affiliates make great sales right off the bat, others that convert reasonably well, and some that send tons of traffic and do not generate squat in sales. Maybe it's the luck of the draw, maybe it is that the higher earning affiliates rank well in the phrases people use to buy, I dunno.

I think that it is important for you to look at the merchant and ask if your conversion rate is representative of that industry. If it is not, then you should be able to adapt a new strategy to increase your conversion. Ask the merchant to review your site and give you some ideas.

Personally, before I build a new site, I find a merchant I think I can trust, and I specifically ask them if there are any good selling niches within their program that are not already covered with their current affiliates. More often than not I get excellent responses from the merchant that allows me to focus in on a niche or an approach.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aunt Lily:
    I use the "How big is my check each month" criteria. Several of my merchants convert at 1 in 500 or more. But, if there's a sizable check every month, WHO CARES?

Lily <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! my "worst converter" is one of my most regular big payers.

SAme here. I get it based on the checks and if they come in a reasonable time. I say if a Merchant can't convert within 500 clicks then I need to update my pages

tibbs, are you saying that you only have merchants that convert 1/100 or better on your site(s)?

If so, I would love to know how many we're talking about. I would love to know (even more) who those are, but understand if you won't want to say.

Just curious, I am trying to understand.

Fred

TrustNo1 For the merchants you can't convert 1 in 100 list them. I won't list them all but here are the worst Converters. Superstore-Electronics 1 sale in over 2500 clicks praise Andy all you want but this is a dog oh! add too that Surplus Computers. Irv,s luggage 500 plus clicks 1 sale. JC Whitney 500 plus no sales.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as the electronics and computers, i can't really say, not enough clicks, but have had a few sales and i know they both have coupons you can use.

JCWhitney - have had many sales and converting at 1/59, i use coupons they provide. Not sure if you use them but if not they can only help.

Irvs not that great 1/129 but ebags 1/25. They're my favorite luggage merchant because they convert month in, month out and always have coupons you can pick up when you go to get links.

tibbs - there's a perfect example.

For JC Whitney today,

143 impressions
    44 clickthroughs
    1 sale for $64.95

Not going to get rich on 1-5 sales a day for JCW, but they convert like clockwork for me. If you are not converting better than 1 in 500 for them, there must be some adjustments you can make traffic wise or niche wise

Thanks TrustNo1 Will try ebags. Most of the JC Whitney clicks were through Google ie: "Volkswagon parts" yet no sales through thier Volkswagon creative.

Ah Jc whitney is one of my best converting merchants a sale on average 1/42. Superstore Electronics is doing okay with a 1 sale/124 clicks. So I have to say both merchants are doing okay for me.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> send tons of traffic and do not generate squat in sales <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep that is where I sit with EC's program

HOWEVER,

Its up on my site, no PPC on them so might as well just keep sitting there

I leave it on there because of the integrity of the merchant

If there was any suspicion of wrong doing would be gone in a minute
    It is on a mall site, I think I may need a more targetted site
    So the big picture really needs to be looked at to get what a true click conversion rate should be. A blanket 1 in 100 ratio for every merchant isn't always a rightful look at things

I think a lot has to do with the affiliate. I have trouble with electronics stuff but I think part of it is that I don't even know what half that stuff is much less have any interest in it.

Even if I only put up a picture and a link, the things I know and understand pay the bills. I think it is an intangible sort of thing. I just do better with things that are in my realm of expertise.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

- - - - -
    Yep that is where I sit with EC's program
    - - - - -

Yes, and that bugs the heck outta me, too. We gotta work on that.

ww- By the way, I've made this offer to several people, no one's taken me up on it yet. If you want www.plastictarps.net , I will give it to you for free, including hosting and registration for a year, all you gotta do is agree to just promote my tarps, and not someone else's, obviously.

I also have the domain tarpaulins.net which I will pay hosting for 1 year for if someone wants to develop that one, but plastictarps.net is already in google and yahoo....

1 in a 100 not much to ask!
    For Christs sake is 1 in 100 too much to ask?
    I will stick by my original prognosis can't convert in 1 - 100 you are a scammer or your merchadise is sh*t.

How can JCW be a scammer when they convert 1 in 50 for us and 1 in 500 for you? That should tell you something right there about your traffic or your niche, or the target of your site.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    For my $40 per lead program, I will GLADLY settle for 1 conversion per 200 click-thrus!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast