Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm just curious about the opinions of the affiliates on this board. Do you think it's smarter to develop several websites all very targeted to a few related products, or one huge all encompassing website?

ABW Ambassador
    BOTH - imho

I began by concentrating on small targeted sites and have yet to build a "mall". I know I need to but I also know I have a lot to learn before I start such a large project.
    IMO, starting with niche sites is a good way to learn the business.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

I agree with adam...

I recommend you start with niche sites... and in a short while you'll have 20 or 30 sites.. thats when it's time to create a mall..and interlink all the sites together.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Both! If you limit yourself, you are voluntarily taking a pay cut.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thanks. Doing both makes complete sense now that I think about it. I guess I was assuming spending my time on multiple sites would take time away from the one big 'mall' type of site, but I guess both can be done easily enough.

Thanks for your feedback!

Just a tip.

If you are going to create more than one website make sure you host them on different servers and interlink them together where possible. You'll get a higher link popularity for little work, just make sure they reside on different servers or I'm told google will not award greater link pop rankings.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm just curious about the opinions of the affiliates on this board. Do you think it's smarter to develop several websites all very targeted to a few related products, or one huge all encompassing website? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both! They each have their points, but when it comes down to it you never know what's going to go over well.

I've had narrow-focus sites do great, but then a few months later my mega-malls are back on top of my earnings report. They tend to cycle back and forth.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;They tend to cycle back and forth.

From a merchants perspective, that is the beauty of affiliate marketing.

When the algos change the affiliates tend to cycle back and forth.

While a "Florida Update" causes harm to a group of affiliate another group of affiliates may benefit.

Merchant sales remain generally the same.

[separate servers and separate class C s]

My personal take is that it does not really matter as long as you have quality "pages" to be found on the net. When I speak of quality pages I am talking highly targed pages that go after one product or search pharase, these "pages" can be hosted with smaller sites or huge ones.

I personally like the idea of getting a dedicated server and simply building site after site and linking them "carefully" together. I use about 15 ip address and don't go over board...

Seams to work well ;-)

Good luck!

Now here's an interesting question. Considering you do have a mall and some niche sites, how do you handle overlap? I know it's not a good idea to overlap too much because the search engines might detect both sites as having identical information and de-index one or both. I've sort of come up with a solution to put the very specific, hard to find niche products on the niche site while maintaining the most popular products in the niche on the mall site. Any input?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I like working big to small. So mall site to nich site with all linked together.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

http and a telephoto
    BOTH!!! And a niche site doesn't necessarily have to be small.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Considering you do have a mall and some niche sites, how do you handle overlap? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My niche sites tend to be more customized than the malls, so there's enough unique text on them to avoid triggering the dup filters.

For the malls, I put everything up, and I say something unique on them too (instead of *only* using the descriptions from the feed) but the unique pitch is more generic across the site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've sort of come up with a solution to put the very specific, hard to find niche products on the niche site while maintaining the most popular products in the niche on the mall site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never, ever go for only the most popular products. I find those to be like driving on the freeway during the rush hour: Unless you're one of the very first cars, it's a good way to get nowhere fast.

If I happen to fluke in and rank well under a popular product, good, but in practice that's happened about as rarely as finding a $20 bill on the street.

So I prefer the not-so-darned-popular products. (Of course, there needs to be some consumer interest in order to make sales. But not so much that all the competition has guessed that there's money in the item, either!)

I would say small sites. Why? Because google will only spider so many pages of your site, if you don't have incoming links.

So it is much easier to have smaller sites achieve some decent ranking based on on-site linking.

http and a telephoto
    Since when does google limit the number of pages it spiders? I have some rather large sites that are completely spidered.
    Deborah Carney

From everything I have read (and my personal experience) the higher PR, the more spidering. I am not talking about spidering 100 pages, but if you bring massive content online, just so much of it will be spidered.

So if the content sites are 101-100 pages, what I said does not apply. If massive content sites, segmentation becomes more important IMHO.

Hi guys,

reading this thread and thought
    everyone is talking about big and small sites - doesnt matter!
    It really doesnt matter what you are doing to inrcease your page rank! If your pages are not optimized for certain keywords you are wasting your time. OPTIMIZE your different pages for very specific keywords, submit your site to the smaller direcories(100's) and you will see significant traffic from the SE's and the smaller sites.

PERIOD!

http and a telephoto
    How about 30,000 to 60,000 pages? All spidered, all show up in Google. The allinurl command brings them all up. My stats program shows them all get spidered regularly, and most importantly, they get hits and convert sales.
    Deborah Carney

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> submit your site to the smaller direcories(100's) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where's these hundreds of smaller directories? Every time I try to check out a claim of there being "hundreds" of directories, I can only find a few!

http and a telephoto
    It depends on your niche, but there are hundreds of small directories for lots of topics that have decent page rank, or that actually send you traffic
    Deborah Carney

Hey Leader,

I found them. They are hard to dig up but they are out there. Most of them are page rank 4 but if you get enough of them they make a difference. We sell herbal supplements so maybe I'm in an industry that has more sites devoted to it than most. I search for fitness, supplement, beauty products and health "directories" or "search engines" and I've found too many to actually submit to, it would take weeks to submit to all of them. The good thing about the small ones is that they don't seem to care if you are running an affiliate site or a merchant site, they'll list you anyway. Plus the small guys tend to list my site within a week.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    How about 30,000 to 60,000 pages? All spidered, all show up in Google. The allinurl command brings them all up. My stats program shows them all get spidered regularly, and most importantly, they get hits and convert sales. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the "allinurl" command?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    [QUOTE] submit your site to the smaller direcories(100's) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best way to do this?

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Donuts:
    What's the "allinurl" command? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to your google or yahoo searchbox and type allinurl:yourdomainname.com and you will see what they have spidered with your domain name in it. It will tell you the total number of links also.

It is very enlightening.
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast