Contest Advice?
    Any advice on how to administer public contests/giveaways in a fair and legal manner? Disclaimers? Software or agencies that provide "random selection" of winners? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Completely green, blind, and ignorant on this.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I did some digging last year - not trying to discourage you, but there are serious legal disclaimers & regional restrictions that need to be adhered to, ie. different states have different rules. I didn't want to incur the legal fees at the time.

I've seen many sites run contests & sweepstakes without proper guidelines - all it takes is one complaint to a regulator (from a disgruntled participant), and the site could be shut down.

This article may be of help:
    http://www.ecomputerlaw.com/articles...ne_sweepstakes

Yes, very well aware of those issues. That's why I'm asking lol.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

.. just passing on my two-cents worth, as I asked the same question a while ago.

I came to the conclusion that it would require specialized legal advice..

http and a telephoto
    Other requirements aside, many sites use Random.org to choose their "winner" by having all the entries in a spreadsheet and assigned a row number.

I will be checking out that link above also. I *think* if you include a "skill" component it eliminates a lot of problems, but some states have tightened up on those also.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Any advice on how to administer public contests/giveaways in a fair and legal manner? Disclaimers? Software or agencies that provide "random selection" of winners? Any advice at all would be appreciated.
    There's a book published by WILEY that might be helpful:
    Online Promotions: Winning Strategies and Tactics [Paperback] by Bill Carmody and it's available on Amazon.com.
    The only complete guide to creating and managing successful online promotions
    Attracting customers and driving sales in today's increasingly crowded, hyper-competitive online marketplace requires sophisticated new promotional techniques using a host of ever-evolving media tools. The first hands-on guide devoted exclusively to the subject, this book tells advertising and marketing professionals what they need to know to create and manage online promotions that pop. Drawing upon his experiences developing online promotions for Fortune 500 clients such as 3Com, AOL, Microsoft, Visa, and Xerox, expert Bill Carmody covers the latest thinking and practices in multi-brand promotions, advertising online promotional campaigns, data-gathering techniques, measuring performance, promotion follow-up, and much more. He also covers a wide range of important related issues, including international and cultural concerns, legal issues, privacy and security, and others.
    ~Product description listed on Amazon.com
    In addition to books that cover this topic you can Google the phrase: sweepstakes + laws + location or variations of that search.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

From the last time I researched this, I think many if not all of the state restrictions only applied if the prize value was over $500.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Either keep the prize low or maybe look at hiring an outside company to manage the contest if you are worried about all the headaches.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread