OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are your sales taking a drive?
    2009 was a banner year for my affiliate programs, many with record growth. Q1 was strong as we have many fitness equipment programs and that is when they shine. But have been seeing a decline in sales, not for everything but an overall tread.

Maybe it the oil spill in the gulf.

Maybe the Greece bailout.

Thought we were pulling out of the recession but is it deepening?

What are you feeling as an affiliate or merchant or network?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I am not seeing any indication of a year that will be off from 2009, or our projected growth... just the annual Q2 slow down which should be expected.

Talking
    I'm seeing an increase in sales lately, via several networks. But it doesn't take much to make me smile.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Chuck,

If it is sales / traffic as of late......

Can it be this Google kick in the cahones that we are seeing now?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    "I am not seeing any indication of a year that will be off from 2009..."
    Some clients are flat & one is way UP

Like any other business there are cyclical markets... some affiliate programs (serious ones, not "get rich quick on the internet") can do very well in hard economic times. Like anything else, I am realizing the need to be flexible and creative and always thinking about new avenues/products/solutions.... but basically what are the "problems" today that need to be solved. Don't we all believe that people are flocking to the internet not only to purchase, but to research, investigate, compare? Gotta be some gold in those hills.

Chuck could it be that the people that bought the fitness equipment to lose weight for the new year are now off their diet and selling the stuff they bought on places like craigslist for a huge discount? It seems like every other "barter" or "free" listings on craigslist for nyc is for fitness equipment. Just a guess.

I am not seeing any decline in anything myself, if anything I would say its growing
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team View Post
    "I am not seeing any indication of a year that will be off from 2009..."
    Some clients are flat & one is way UP
    Agree with this, one is WAY up, others are climbing, few are flat, none are down.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Any of this related to the recent :
    (1) Google SERPs / caffeine results or
    (2) the new 3 column Google layout?

Many have reported drop in traffic due to this - specifically drop in long tail traffic. Especially the larger more established sites. These occurrences reported starting around Apr 28 to May 5th?

If you have many fitness related merchants is there historical trends you can pull data from e.g last few years from these various merchants to see if this is typical? With the overweight markets these days and some of the popular shows still on (Biggest Loser e.g.) I would imagine that the market would still be going strong. However with the weather turning nicer maybe more people are heading outdoors.

My sites are up as well.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Fitness has a first peak in Q1 and second in Q3. We set records in Q1 and expect a downturn now. Checked my largest program which is fitness and it was down 11% for May 1-10 compared to the same time last year. Right now Home and Garden is in peak and some of those are down (one is smoking though). Last month we set a record for hair replacement and this month is tending as half of April.

Talked with a friend about the financial forecast for this year and it seems dismal.

Best year/months ever.

Traffic / Sales are way up for me as well. This is typically a down time of year for my main site but it is already at peak levels from last year.

It looks like people may have used those fitness machines to get their bodies ready for the beach. My travel sites are showing nice increases, over last year, in reservations. March was up 12% and April was up nearly 15%. I don't think we'll make it back to the levels of 2008 (a fantastic year for travel), but we may get close.

For other products, however, I am seeing a downturn in traffic for datafeed sites (thin affiliate syndrome?) but nearly all of our niche sites are up (even those using GoldenCAN and PopShops).

Our merchant programs are too new to have a comparison with last year. However, direct sales have had an increase every month since we launched. Aff sales plateaued a bit last month but are now picking up again. As with fitness, checks sales are strongest in the 1st quarter.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Overall, for us, we are slightly up over 2009. I think two courses are down slightly, two are up, and we added Painting at the end of 2009 so that is up of course. We also added our Spotlight Series so those are new sales.

I think that the four courses we had in Q1 of last year are literally up like 0.2% 2010 to 2009.

Affiliate sales are WAY up though. Our internal PPC took a major hit as did some of our affiliates. Our old affiliates PPC and internal PPC is down 80% - nothign to do with economy, just Google slaps.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread