Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if this is old news or not, but I just got an update notice from Zone Alarm today and updated to their newer version. It's doing just like Norton. It blocks out ads and has a cookie cleaner. The way it's set this is the default setting. From what I can tell, it's blocking CJ ads.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Shoot you are kidding right??? Oh no!
    Is that the free or pro version?

I have the free one but have not updated.
    Please give more details.

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting! Zone Alarm has an affiliate program in CJ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KCEdit:
    Interesting! Zone Alarm has an affiliate program in CJ. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL

ABW Ambassador
    Its not the free one, I updated mine and nothing is blocked.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    It's the pro version. The cj ads I checked weren't visible. I also visited some online malls and there were huge blank spaces on them which I assumed were for cj ads.

ABW Ambassador
    what a joke... soon, they'll have banners available through CJ that say "purchase this software and never see ads like these again!" I wonder what CJ & the other networks, assuming they're being blocked as well, have to say about this...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Ad blocking is off by default. I have to say that it doesn't actually seem to block much anyway!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    I just updated the free version two days ago. I see nothing blocked as described.

Wayne

Did we ever get an answer from Todd (at CJ) or Stephen (at LS) about what they were doing to fix Norton (and now ZA)?

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kip:
    Not sure if this is old news or not, but I just got an update notice from Zone Alarm today and updated to their newer version. It's doing just like Norton. It blocks out ads and has a cookie cleaner. The way it's set this is the default setting. From what I can tell, it's blocking CJ ads. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Unreal! People like you make me want to scream!

I have been a Zone Labs advocate for more than 5 years, I use Zone Alarm Pro every day and have been using it for years. It has NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER blocked anything and I keep my security levels fairly high.

The ONLY thing I don't see with these high security settings is something that moves, like the ROFL smilie, it just sits there, but I do SEE it. Or if I want to download something, then I have to lower my security settings to allow the download box to pop up. Otherwise, I can see everything else.

It doesn't block banners, it doesn't block links, IT DOES NOT BLOCK ANYTHING. The default levels are low and unless you know what you want to do, no cookies will be blocked, no web bugs will be blocked, nothing will be blocked. These are CUSTOM FEATURES. The USER has to change it manually to higher settings, it's not done for them!

I've never used their cookie cleaner, so I just clicked on it now to see if it gave choices or if it just removed everything. It's definitely NOT default, because if you click it, it takes you to a Zone Labs website where you have to do the scan from there. It's not part of the firewall itself.

I was just talking to Chad Heinrich(?), the Zone Labs affiliate manager, on the phone this morning and we discussed spyware and other programs that removed cookies because it hurts us, affiliates. Zone Labs does a lot for affiliates and they're about to do a lot more, and removing cookies won't be one of them. They sell firewalls and security software, it HAS to be an option. But it doesn't have to be default, and it's NOT.

Man oh man, I love people who report inaccurate information!

Catwoman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catwoman:

Man oh man, I love people who report inaccurate information!

Catwoman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The world is flat!

Guess you love me now huh?

ABW Ambassador
    Catwoman - I have used Zone Labs for almost as long as you have. I got an update notice today which said that they were discontinuing the version I had. I could leave as is but there would be no future updates or I could download the newer version. I chose to download the newer version.

I went through all the steps and did as instructed. I did not customize anything. I went through it just like I'm assuming most people will.

The privacy settings that come up as a result of not customizing say this:

"Ad Blocking stops ads from disrupting your Internet work. The recommended High setting STOPS POP UP AND BANNER ADS.

Cookie Control protects your privacy while you browse the Web. The recommended Medium setting blocks cookies from third party spying sites."

The default setting is Ad Blocking High and Cookie Control Medium.

Also, there is something on there called Cache Cleaner which is set to automatically clean the cache every 14 days.

While I have not talked to anyone from Zone Labs and don't have the "in" with them that you obviously do, I do know what I am seeing and I do know that before I installed the update I could see certain banners and now I can't. And, when I click on a lot of sales sites I'm seeing BLANK space where banner ads usually are.

As far as the cookies go, I haven't tested it. All I know is what it's set to when you go through the update and don't make any customized modifications. It's set to medium and it says next to Medium "Blocks cookies from tracking sites. Allows cookies for personalized services."

I could be wrong and all this just be a figment of my imagination but I haven't hallucinated in quite some time so quite frankly I doubt that I'm doing so now. I will admit that I'm not incredibly technical so perhaps I'm missing something but I know what I see and I'm not seeing all banner ads.

With all due respect I think you were a bit quick on the trigger. Perhaps because you weren't aware of the latest upgrade?

edited to correct typos.

Are you talking about the free Zone Alarm firewall or Zone Alarm Pro? I don't use the free version. I upgraded ZAP a while back to ZAP 5 and just got another update a few days ago. I just checked now and there was no new update.

Zone Alarm Pro doesn't say any of that and the default settings are quite low.

I'll tell you this kip...

The way I have customized mine will block web bugs and 3rd party cookies, and I have mobile code control on. It doesn't block anything. I see all banners and all the links. Like I said above, I just don't see the movement in banners but I still see the banner itself. It does prevent me from logging in on certain websites that are not secure, but 95+% of the sites I visit are no problem. I also have the pop up blocker on with ZAP and Google toolbar and neither one, or even both at the same time, stops them all.

My computer still gets all cookies from CJ, LS, etc., never missed one and I end up with many I don't even want. Even with the settings I have, because I don't block all cookies.

So if the default is to block 3rd party cookies, you should still get cookied from all the networks. Those are the settings I have and it has never blocked any of those cookies.

My cache gets cleaned every time I reboot or once per day. Because "I" set it up that way.

ZAP gives you the option to keep the settings the way they were from the previous version when you update. I never change mine from one update to the next. Maybe your settings were not set on anything and that's why you ended up with default settings I didn't have to go through? Or maybe you did a clean install instead of an upgrade? That's a possibility. I really don't know.

All I know is that I've used ZAP every day for a long time, my default settings are quite low, regardless of what I do I can't replicate what you get. I tried to reset all my settings to default, and it all reverted back to not blocking anything at all and everything was set on "low". So I have no idea how you ended up with what you have by default. Have you tried to reset your settings to default to see if it changes anything?

Anyone else use ZAP with default settings like kip's? I will definitely ask Zone Labs about that.

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    I am talking about Zone Alarm Pro, not the free version. I didn't customize it and I didn't preserve my earlier settings (which were set to default anyway.)

The default version appears to be a higher privacy level than before and also blocks some banner ads, not all. I'm still seeing some banners so I'm not sure what the difference is between the ones I'm seeing and the ones I'm not. It's showing as blocking banner/skyscraper ads, pop ups/pop unders and animation.

For example, when I go to google and type in online mall and click on the first listing, there is quite a bit of blank space. There is blank space in the section below Free Debt Consolidation and there is blank space on the nav bar above Annuities and between Retirment Plans and the Nutrition Buy banner. When I turn the ad blocker to off I see the ads.

Another example, I have a banner ad for CJ on a site. I don't see that banner (it's animated so perhaps that's why?) When I set the ad blocker to off I see it.

There are other examples, but you get the gist. It's blocking some ads.

My concern isn't for me because I can set the ad blocker to off if I want, but the majority of people will probably just leave it on the recommended, default setting which could be a problem if you use banner ads.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no idea about the cookies because I haven't tested it, but the default is set to block cookies from tracking sites (third party cookies.)

Do you see AntiVirus Monitoring and ID Lock on your ZA navigation bar? I'm not positive but I think those two sections were also added to the Zone Alarm in this update.

To me, it looks like Catwoman is the one who is making assumptions here. Have you updated your version since this thread started?

You did not say whether you had updated in your initial post.

We all think ZA is wonderful, but they are not miracle workers, or exempt from scrutiny.

Fred

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; Is that the free or pro version?

Please do not install the Pro Version.

I have also been using ZA for long time with no problems. But my son downloaded the Pro Version on his computer for a 30 day trial about 5 months ago and I could not see any banners, etc.

I thought this was old news or that someone had already posted it here.

The free version is running fine. Just leave as is.

An old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    To me, it looks like Catwoman is the one who is making assumptions here. Have you updated your version since this thread started?

You did not say whether you had updated in your initial post.

We all think ZA is wonderful, but they are not miracle workers, or exempt from scrutiny.

Fred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catwoman: I upgraded ZAP a while back to ZAP 5 and just got another update a few days ago. I just checked now and there was no new update. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very first paragraph of my last post... You seemed to have read everything else, but I think you missed that first part.

I've been using ZAP for about 2 years, maybe even longer, it's been a while and I don't remember when I got it. I set my settings the first time and I've kept the same ones ever since. I never do a clean install with new versions or updates, I always choose to update and keep the same settings.

IF we are running the same version, I don't understand why I can't replicate your default settings when I change mine to revert back to default as well. Everything is changed back to low, the same way I got it.

I have Zone Alarm Pro version 5.0590.043 - last updated June 22, 2004, at 9:00:55 PM. What version do you run? You can find out if you click on the left tab "overview" and then the middle tab "product info" and it's the first box at the top and the last box at the bottom tells you when you last updated.

I know who to ask about this...

Catwoman

thats a load of bull as i have PRO and i see all comiission junction ads

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I will only wade in to say when I ran the free trial version of pro there was the option of blocking all ads which caused me great concern
    Obviously all the posts back and forth tell us some see and some won't see ads
    I don't reacall if it was default or not, but still an issue no matter what

Not a good thing as it's just one more problem with the paranoia out there to block every conceivable tracking cookie, or ad, good or bad

Hey, maybe it's because Kip is in LA-LA land playing on a LA-LA.computer with a LA-LA firewall installed.

ABW Ambassador
    Dirk - Yep. In La-La Land and having hallucinations to boot! Gotta admit though I wouldn't choose to have hallucinations about a firewall program.

Last Hope - that's not very nice. You just may not be seeing what I see.

Catwoman - I'm running the same version you are. Registered on June 24 at 12:38 pm. I would be glad to pm you a screen shot which shows the recommended settings I'm seeing so you can compare it to what you are seeing if you like.

I have no idea why some people running pro can't replicate this and I couldn't begin to guess why but I'm like Walleye Warrior in that I'm not sure that it matters. Whether you can or can't replicate it, if you have banner ads it is still an issue you may want to be aware of.

When I completed the update I was no longer able to see some banner ads. I am using the default, recommended settings which are set to Block Ads - High and Cookie Control - Medium. When I set the Block Ads to Off I can see the banner ads that were blocked when the setting was on High. Why I can see some banner ads and not others I couldn't say. I just know I'm not seeing all the banner ads.

Regardless of what our particular settings are set to, these are now the default, recommended settings which means a lot of people are going to be using them. I think that is what we should care about.

Last week I downloaded the free version (zlsSetup_50_590_043.exe) and when I went to setup ZA and after I read the EULA, I canceled the installation for now.

I am having concerns about this part:

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    5. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE: Certain third party software included with the Software is subject to additional terms and conditions imposed by Zone Labs’ third party licensor(s). Such terms and conditions are contained in the "About" pages of the Software and are deemed incorporated herein by reference. You agree to comply with all applicable terms and conditions.
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

This might sound like paranoia but, after reading so many posts on ABW about people downloading and installing programs on their computer with out reading the EULA first and later finding out that they have installed a third party software that they did not know how it got there, I decided to hold on the ZA installation for now until I find out what are the others third party software included with the ZA Software.

By the way, the title of this thread and the posts I have read so far, just added more confusion to me about the ZA software.

In guess I would leave the (zlsSetup_50_590_043.exe file) on my HD until I can see some posts about the benefits I will gain by installing it.

Sal.

stop owrry and get on build sites, do you really think people are gonna surf the web with half pages missing, dont think so.. so get back to work!

Funny I installed the update the other day and swear that the ad blocking was OFF because I woult certain have posted if it was ON.

Perhaps the upgrade is picking up some settings from somewhere else?

I've got to say, I didn't notice much difference with the ad blocking on or off. I still got banners and Google Ads.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast