Sent on June 17:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To whom it may concern:

My guess is someone's faking headers with my email address as the "from" to mask their trail and I'm somehow getting the bounces. Well, at least this bounce. Others may have poked through and I fear I may soon feel the deluge of anger from [my ISP] subscribers.

I have another sample of spam that was caught by SpamAssassin to send along shortly so you can help trace the guilty parties.

Thank you for understanding <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reply on June 19:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is difficult to determine where this email originated from, but without the recipient's IP address or the full email headers it is difficult to pinpoint where these emails are coming from specifically. If you get anymore and they contain some IP address from it's origin, please forward it to me and I'll take a closer look at it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent a couple more samples along, with full headers. Today, there's a blanket email sent to all subscribers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> [My ISP], in an ongoing effort to keep spam out of your mailbox, is introducing a new e-mail policy aimed at eliminating spam claiming to be "From" our customers. The new policy will be put into place on July 12th, 2004, and won't affect the vast majority of

The new filter works by scanning all mail coming to our system from outside our network and making sure it doesn't claim to be "From" one of our users. You've probably seen spam before that is both From and To you. This new filter is designed to stop those from ever reaching your inbox.

Since almost all of us send mail by way of dialup, DSL, cable or wireless (all part of our network), this new filter will let through
all our mail without complaint. Only those pieces of mail coming from people not directly connected to our network will be scanned and
stopped if claiming a false identity.

There are a few legitimate reasons that someone might be sending mail from off-site using their [ISP] e-mail address to other customers. Customers needing special allowance to continue sending mail from off-site using their IN e-mail address should e-mail [ISP mail address] (or simply reply to this note) and we'll work out the details on a case-by-case basis.

We appreciate your continued support of [ISP] and our efforts to minimize the amount of spam you receive.

System Manager <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>