Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Wordpress or Squarespace
    I have started blogging again and really hate the platform I'm using. Twice now I have wrote for an hour and when I went to publish the flippin thing lost all my content! Even after I had saved it! I now build locally and copy and paste...lol

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna move it soon and because I always hear (and have seen) how great WP is it and it was my first choice, but I have a friend really pushing Squarespace on me. He helps me so much with techy stuff I really want to take his advice but I have never heard of SS before. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Go with Wordpress. Among the many hundreds of benefits and features, it has a built in auto save as draft so you don't loose your work as you write.

Thanks Jorge The one I'm using right now supposedly has auto draft save too.....but it apparently hiccups every time I try to use it LOL

Uhhhh...I never heard of it so just looked at the SS site.
    "Blog. Build. Host. Design. Impress. From $8 a month."
    That eight bucks per month is for using a sub domain on their domain. To use your own domain the rate goes to $14 per month (and up from there - for additional features).

On the other hand, WprdPress is totally free to download and use on your own domain (or with a one-click install on CPanel hosting). It also has support from folks here on ABW who actually use it (and have been using it for a long time).

IOW - IMHO - forget about SS. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

oh I hadn't caught the sub domain thing! Thanks!

Word Press it is

If you are using wordpress, better go for the self-hosted option instead of wordpress.com. That way you have full control of your site.
    Most, if not all, webhosting servers give you an automatic script to install wordpress on your site, so it's fairly easy to set it up.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    CowGirl I would suggest typing almost all posts longer than a paragraph in a Word Processor. Then you can correct spelling and grammar before posting and have a local backup in case something strange happens.

Also you have a local copy of the file and then can rewrite it for other sites, articles, or Press Releases.

Just make sure to paste into the html setting on Wordpress or paste into Wordpad on the way over to strip out formattting and errant html.

I second the suggestion that you write locally if it's going to be long or if it's going to take you a long(ish) time to write it. You may find, even with a self-hosted installation, that by the time you hit Publish, the session is expired and you have to login again. It's not common (since WP autosaves periodically), but it happens. Better safe than sorry.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    I always use WordPad for writing that is going to be published on the web (Or Notepad or TextPad). If you use a full blown word processor you will get "garbage" characters and stuff you don't want.

I actually write the posts in WP directly, then before I hit publish I hit Select All, Copy. I do that for long posts on forums too You never know when your connection will get broken, sites go down for 5 seconds and it's enough to lose all your work.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I actually write the posts in WP directly, then before I hit publish I hit Select All, Copy. I do that for long posts on forums too You never know when your connection will get broken, sites go down for 5 seconds and it's enough to lose all your work.
    Ditto! It is wise to copy/paste before hitting the SUBMIT/SAVE/PUBLISH button. A backup is a life-saver

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread