SEO Optimization for a Keyword Subset
    Hi all,

Not sure if this has come up before, but I couldn't find it in a search. I was thinking about optimizing for a 3 word keyord, we'll call it "key1 key2 key3". One thing I noticed was that there are some people (although not as many) that search for "key4 key1 key2 key3". As a marketer, should you be optimizing for "key4 key1 key2 key3"? My thinking is that since the first keyword is a subset of the larger keyword that both will be picked up. Does that seem right?

I'm also wondering what the thoughts were if you found that people were also searching for "key4 key1 key3". I would assume a page optimized for "key4 key1 key2 key3" would not pick up the other set?

Hope I make sense, sorry for all the numbers, i'm more of a math guy .

This is about SEO, not PPC, right? So we're looking at how Google and other search engines will present organic results for a search.

It's critical to understand that most people don't put quote marks around a search phrase, so you don't usually need to worry about the sequence of keywords, within reason. (The results for many searches can be quite remarkably different if you include or exclude quotation marks.) I'm not a typical consumer, because I use quotation marks quite often in my Google searches, but I have to remember that "I'm not typical" when I'm considering organic keyword optimization.

In general, Google's algorithms are reasonably intelligent about matching searches even if the sequence of keywords changes. But this goes both ways: Google is also reasonably intelligent in recognizing that certain modifiers or sequence changes do have significant meaning, and can thus present very different results depending on the sequence of keywords.

It would help if you could be somewhat more specific about the types of keywords you're optimizing for. For example, if I were optimizing for the search phrase "polka-dot dresses," I would probably not try to optimize for colors (e.g. "blue polka-dot dresses"). But then again, I recall my wife's recent efforts to locate items with "pink and brown polka-dot" patterns (for a party), where the colors were critically important.

If there is an extra attribute/adjective that is likely to signify a different level of interest (or likelihood of purchase, or interest in an item with limited availability, as in my wife's example above), then optimizing for those extra variations might make sense. But of course you need to deal with "duplicate content" issues, and you also need to recognize the futility of optimizing far into the "long tail."

Mansfield, TX
    Moderator Note: Thread moved, renamed and flagged as a featured thread!

Great suggestions, Mark! I agree with what you've said.
    Michael Coley
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for moving and renaming my thread so it is more appropriate. You are
    right it is much more of an SEO question than anything else. Also, thanks for making it featured. Could make for some good conversation .

Mark, thanks for your words of advice. I hate mentioning the keywords but I'll try to think of a similar set. Let's say you were in the hat business for professional sports teams. One set of keywords you found were "cubs fitted hats". Let's say for illustration purposes that this was a great keyword with little competition. With further inspection you notice that you are getting just as
    many searches when placing the city name in front like so: "Chicago cubs fitted hats". So would it be best to create a page optimized for the longer keyword, or are the # of searches considered the same by google?

Thanks again!

Your concept is right but that's not the way people doing SEO. SEO people normally will search the keyword first before input the content, not find the keyword1, keyword2 after input all the content

Think as the normal user of the internet , normal user search key1key2 or key3key2 but not "key4key3key3" . Search the best targeted keywords from Google Ad word suggestion Tool for those keywords whose searches are more.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread