Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I've got a pal looking to create his first web site. He is looking for software that is cheap, and simple to use.

I told him that I use netobjects fusion, but he didn't really take to that software. I know we have covered this topic before, but I thought I would revisit it, and see if you have any new software recommendations for web site development.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

By first website do you mean something that looks like an expert did it or like most of our first websites? The reason I ask is because I recommend frontpage express for playing around and learning the basics and it's freely available. Once you master that (if that's what it's called) try dreamweaver or the like.

At one point I d/led Xara's product, didn't like it for some reason I can't recall. I tried and purchased NetStudio Easy Web Graphics, and do use it for simple graphics and site templates. By no means does it make "professional" looking templates and graphics, but for simple stuff I'm actually quite pleased.

Especially since the price tag was about $100, compared to Dreamweaver's hundreds and Photoshop's hundreds. I don't like doing graphics, so when I need something professional looking, I hire out. When I just need a banner or a button or a simple page template, I use my NetStudio.

You do need a text editor to actually build the pages. I still use 40tude, but it's not updated anymore. I'd recommend to anyone to get used to a text editing program rather than FrontPage Express which inserts "webbot" sections that you have no idea what they're for, especially when starting. YMMV.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

Hey Gang,

Elbow I would recommend starting off with the Front Page Library, however do what Heyder suggested, have your buddy start with the express and work his way up, it's a nice cut and dry program with all the bells and whistles and I think it rocks! About the NetStudio, is that the appy that allows you to make all kinds of banners and provides templates, etc? just wondering, I think I have that app in my office somewhere, maybe I'll try it.

Thank you,
    Kevin
    http://www.bargaincellular.net

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    could suggest eversoft eversoft 2000

Comes in easy, expert, hardcore versions all in one download

ABW Ambassador
    If your friends knows any HTML, there is a great HTML editor available for free on the PC called 1st Page 2000

If on the other hand your friend wants something that builds decent looking optimized sites that look OK but dont require SEO skills or HTML knowledge, there is the site builder I PM's you about a week or so ago in regards to my Tarp site.

ABW Ambassador
    Damn Walleye, you beat me by a few minutes.

ABW Ambassador
    Another great free HTML editor for PCs is HTML Kit

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    WARNING: Eversoft 2000 (1stPage2) comes with a virus, homepage highjacker, and who knows what else!!!

Just for fun, I thought I would take a look at Eversoft 2000 and try playing with it. I went to the site and downloaded the program from the first of 2 mirror download sites they have listed. I hardly finished installing it when my Norton Antivirus popped up and said it found the "6 buttons to hell" virus in the eversoft folder. Norton also reported it as being a "Windows bomb". I'm not sure what that means, but I don't want to find out either.

So... I just plain deleted the entire program and folders. As soon as I fired IE back up, I also learned my homepage had been highjacked by that !@#$%&* search highjacker program. I had just ran AdAware earlier today and so I know my computer was clean of such highjacking programs and I had not been to any sites other than CJ, Google, ABW, and other well known trusted sites since running Adware. However, After downloading Eversoft 2000, not only had my homepage been highjacked, but I ran Adware again and it found 17 registry key changes!

I know Walleye Warrior and PerfectG would not knowingly have anyone download infected crap and hopefully their copies of Eversoft 2000 (if they have the program) are fine.

So beware and download Eversoft 2000 at your own risk!

Now I suppose somebody will complain that this post is off topic?.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    1st Page does not contain a virus, though it does give you a virus alert.

Read their support forum - he is a search for virus

I dont know why they dont fix this, or delete the offending JS, but it has been an issue for some time.

Regarding your homepage hijacking, this is not something I have had a problem with and think that there may be another cause since if this was happening, it would more than likely be posted on their support forum given the virus alert was mentioned in several hundred posts by people who just downloaded it.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Do him a favour - give him a URL to an HTML/CSS tutorial, show him the "view source" menu item in his browser and fire up edit.exe

Frontpage? Bleeeekk!

If he's new to HTML, I'd suggest he start the old fashioned way and use notepad and an HTML book. He can always rebuild the site later, making it pretty, but he'll get a better grasp for what the code actually does. That'll make building and debugging much easier in the future...

And what Drewbert said about view source - very helpful.

Once he has a basic grasp of what HTML is all about, he'll likely have an easier time using an editor.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread