Where Do You Link When Blogging?
    Just curious as to what people do, as far as linking, when blogging about something/some company. For instance, Dell just released a new computer. You promote Dell, have a page/section on your site built around Dell. In a blog post you might say something such as "I just heard a new [link]Dell computer[/link] was released...".

Do you:

• Link 'Dell computer' directly to Dell's site/through affiliate link.
    • Link 'Dell computer' to the page/section of your site (for any internal keyword value that may/may not have).
    • A little of both; some direct linking, some internal keyword linking
    • None of the above

Not the greatest choice for example, but hopefully it still gets the point across of what I'm asking.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Hi Mobilebadboy,

I would choose "A little of both; some direct linking, some internal keyword linking."

A blog that sparks interest makes a great combo to a section of a site that clearly reflects that interest.

Sometimes direct linking to the item on the merchant's page can be very effective.

I would link to my own site where the pages that create the "section of interest" [i.e. Dell computers/products] has strong content that reflects that interest [i.e. a lot of those products/products + descriptions etc.] --especially if I'd like to draw the customer's attention to my section.

If my own site touches on the topic but doesn't have the latest item then go for a direct link to the merchant's site that showcases the item.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

What is most useful to the end user? Does the blog have enough information that they know what they want and you can link directly to it? Or do you have a page on your site that better helps them decide? It's not going to be the same answer every time, and sometimes it may be "both".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yeah, I try to mix both in this particular case.

My blog posts are usually short and to the point. The pages on my site have much more information about the site(s) I'm blogging about, but the "impulse" link out to the site could also be a winner. I'm thinking I'll just keep trying to split it up. If they go to the page, they can still click out to the site anyway.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Linking where is not the issue, you can link anywhere with a proper anchor text, which you think people will search for that term. If you are linking just to provide more information about that subject I think it will make a positive impact on visitors and may be the websites you are linking to.

I have affiliate blogs, that is, blogs in which I promote products and what I do is link to merchant sites from my posts. A blog is, after all, also a site. So it is still an affiliate site and I do not really see why I shouldn't link directly to the merchant site from it. My bog posts are not short; they contain full articles and that is why I can get away with it without being considered spam.
    However, in articles that I submit to directories such as ezinearticles, I link to my blogs or websites.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

I do a little of both.

On some of my afifiliate blogs, I actually have datafeed pages on the site which I try to link to as often as possible from one of the posts. (AvantLink merchants are a good fit for many of my sites and I set up an instance of their automatic datafeed manager, then often link in a blog post to a specific product page in that datafeed section of the site.)
    Generate more fake news.

Rethinking this, I'm now leaning more towards linking to your own site (or both). Blogs generally don't convert all that well, but where they can really help is giving backlinks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread