Backlinks question for Wordpress blogs
    Hi all,

I am sorry if this is the wrong spot to put this, but something that keeps coming up time and time again is to try and get some quality backlinks to your site. Right now my site is set up as a Wordpress blog where my posts are targeting different audiences and keywords.

So do I want to get multiple backlinks to each of my posts, or is a backlink to my main domain sufficient? If I have say 40 posts and want to obtain multiple backlinks on each, that could mean many many links and I think it would be hard to find other sites interested in exchanging for that many .

Hope this question makes sense, thanks!

Hi

Getting back links is almost as difficult as getting traffic on your website, First of all I tell you one secret(or maybe not a secret for many others here), After creating every post you need atleast one or two back links to your post! so that your posts even get indexed by the Search engines! In a new site for first few posts it may not be needed but in the long run you will need back links to even get your posts indexed by the search engines(I don't know why search engines do not index ALL posts on a website despite having sitemap), Secondly it will make them believe(Yeah you will have to make them believe!!!!) that your post is some thing important! And this is basically done by getting backlinks(I don't know yet any other method of doing it in a better way).

I have experimented on this, I have a well set blog since more than one and a half year. I posted a VERY Heavy and very targetted post with a lot of SEO on this. I checked in my stats that google never sent any visitor on this post even after two months. I checked if it was already indexed by google or not yet(by putting a whole sentence as it is from the post in google's search to see if it was indexed). The post was in my case indexed by the google as it showed me the link to my website where I posted that post.

Than I started finding for my site in google for the keywords I was targetting. I was not in the first 1,500 results in google. Than I created a Back link as experiment from a social website to my post with the same keywords (which I was targetting) that was the title of my post. After a few days my website was on position 15 in google's search result!! So you know now how important are back links today. The more you have better it is, but it is also one of the most difficult parts in making your website. I found this of myself after starting as a webmaster two years later, You have I think learned this earlier now.

Hope you will be able to create enough backlinks(Search in google for "How to create backlinks" for further learning).

twikker

Aside from helping your post get indexed and ranked on the search engines, quality backlinks will also help get PageRank and that is why backlink building is very important.
    One of the ways to build backlinks is article marketing. Write unique articles and submit them to article directories. You can also create squidoo lenses. And bookmark your posts.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

I concur
    Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Aside from helping your post get indexed and ranked on the search engines, quality backlinks will also help get PageRank and that is why backlink building is very important.
    One of the ways to build backlinks is article marketing. Write unique articles and submit them to article directories. You can also create squidoo lenses. And bookmark your posts.
    Yes can not have been said any better great post affilorama you simplefied this for even newbies to understand why backlinking is so essitail to blogs and posts!

Write unique articles and submit them to article directories. You can also create squidoo lenses. And bookmark your posts.
    Affilorama, what article directories do you recommend? And I'm not familiar with squidoo lenses.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If your blog is in a directory separate from the home page, create a section on your home page for summaries of new blog posts. When you post on your blog, create a keyword-rich link on your home page to the blog post. Gets your post indexed better and quicker and also keeps fresh content on your home page.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Twikker wrote: > "I tell you one secret(or maybe not a secret for many others here), After creating every post you need at least one or two back links to your post! so that your posts even get indexed by the Search engines!" <

That's simply not true.

Of course, valid "back links" to your site are helpful for SEO, but you're absolutely mistaken when you say that blog pages won't be indexed without back links.

Of course, no web page will ever be indexed by a search engine until the search engine learns of its existence, which usually happens because the search engine follows a link from another page it is indexing (though sitemaps are increasingly important).

Perhaps we are defining the term 'back links' differently. To me, the term means a link from a different, external web site. Having links to your new pages from your own site, if it's already being indexed by Google, will be sufficient to get indexed. (Google will also index pages listed in your site map, even if there are no other links to that page, but its algorithms may later exclude such "orphan" pages from search results.)

Having valid back links from other sites, especially authority sites, certainly can make a difference (in page rank, in your position in search results, and in how fast and how often your pages are indexed and re-indexed). But back links are not necessary for your page to get indexed by search engines.

my blogs et indexed imediately after a post. I'm google candy

I have a Google Alert for my name, and this afternoon I received a Google Alert email notifying me of a new web page mentioning my name. It was a new blog entry I created this afternoon. Google indexed that page in just a few hours. (The "Google XML Sitemaps" plug-in for WordPress might deserve the credit.)

I noticed a post from SearchEngineLand saying that Google has recently tweaked its algorithms, apparently increasing the importance of inbound links for "long-tail" search terms:

http://searchengineland.com/google-c...-traffic-43054

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Twikker wrote: > "I tell you one secret(or maybe not a secret for many others here), After creating every post you need at least one or two back links to your post! so that your posts even get indexed by the Search engines!" <

That's simply not true.

Of course, valid "back links" to your site are helpful for SEO, but you're absolutely mistaken when you say that blog pages won't be indexed without back links.

Of course, no web page will ever be indexed by a search engine until the search engine learns of its existence, which usually happens because the search engine follows a link from another page it is indexing (though sitemaps are increasingly important).

Perhaps we are defining the term 'back links' differently. To me, the term means a link from a different, external web site. Having links to your new pages from your own site, if it's already being indexed by Google, will be sufficient to get indexed. (Google will also index pages listed in your site map, even if there are no other links to that page, but its algorithms may later exclude such "orphan" pages from search results.)

Having valid back links from other sites, especially authority sites, certainly can make a difference (in page rank, in your position in search results, and in how fast and how often your pages are indexed and re-indexed). But back links are not necessary for your page to get indexed by search engines.
    Hi,

I have made that decision on based of my own experiences. Before last Halloween(more than two months before halloween) I wrote a FEW posts on my blog about Halloween. As I was getting no visitors on those pages even after the halloween past, I searched in google if my posts were indexed by google!! The posts in my case were not indexed by the google at that time(the only way till today I knew to find if the posts are already indexed by the google is to search in google for "Sentence or two from the post page in semicollons as it is".

The other way you made me clear is through GOOGLE ALERTS. But that IMO can only work if you have made alerts for an extraordinary keyword like Markwelch (Extraordinary because I think no one else is Targetting this keyword in the world other than you!!).

One other way which is often said to be used by the webmasters is by pinging to the important search engines. Wordpress has this ability/setting of pinging the search engines as soon as you publish a post. I have disabled/switched off this setting in the settings of my blog because it pings every time I update or make changes to a post on my blog. I some times updates my posts 10 or more times before It is ready for the visitors and I think it is completely unnecessary pinging 10 or more times to the search engines for the same posts(it looks spammy IMO).

One other reason why my posts are not indexed very soon by the search engines could be I do not update/write posts on my blog often and it is also not a very popular blog. One post every month or two months. Thats why search engines may have decided(or have such settings in their metrics according to that) to index the pages once every three or six months.

Now there can be also many other scenarios predictable but I would assume that there is any one of the above reasons that my posts are not getting indexed fast enough. For the beginners I would advice this really that they should care about the back links if they want to get their posts indexed by the search engines(it is just my opinion, as every one makes different experiments and different results he gets).

Made some Very important points for the beginners to help creating backlinks(beginners gets to know the value of these methods at a little later stages than right in the beginning.) I have highlighted in above quote the important points you made affilorama.

twikker

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread