Why You Shouldn't Talk/Text and Drive
    I just got these pictures from my aunt of a VW and motorcycle accident. The 2 VW passengers and the motorcyclist were killed instantly. You can see the motorcycle is actually inside of the car. The driver of the VW was on her phone and not paying attention at an intersection.

Personally, I do not talk on my cell phone and drive because I saw a mother on TV years ago pleading for people not to talk on a phone and drive after another driver killed her family while talking on a cell phone. It was heart wrenching.

I am particularly concerned for new drivers. That age group seems to endlessly text one another. What the heck are they talking about anyway?

Please be careful everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ABW Ambassador
    I have never seen anything like that! That is horrible!

Agreed. People should not text/talk and drive at the same time. Pull over and stop. In fact, in the provinces of Ontario and British Columbia in Canada, there are now distracted-driving laws with fines. People have had to switch to hands-free cellphone operation. Personally, I think hands-free is also distracting. Best to pull over and stop if have to use the cellphone.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano
    Affiliate Tools: Datafeed Merge

http and a telephoto
    There are laws in most states now that cover cell phone use while driving. But it is like the seat belt law, they have to catch and punish people (before they kill someone) to start getting the point across.

Our generally idiotic General Assembly here in Missouri mishandled this issue in their legislative session which ended last Friday.

They were considering a bill to ban texting and driving for drivers of all ages. Our current idiotic law prohibits texting and driving for people under 21. (I assume when you attain 21, you are perfectly capable of texting and driving if you live in Missouri. Magical, isn't it?)

They failed to pass the new law, arguing that it would be too difficult to enforce. That's despite widespread support by all law enforcement agencies in the state, all agreeing that they wanted the law on the books and would find ways to enforce it at least better than not having the law.

Ah, well. I HATE Missouri and hope some day to be able to depart here and return to civilization. Some day. Maybe.
    Generate more fake news.

You know... I'm probably going to get my head handed to me for this... but I don't like a lot of these laws.

Texting and driving, fine. I get that. You need, generally, both your hands to send a text - hands that need to be on the wheel - and you need to be glancing down at the phone an awful lot. Very, very dangerous.

Cell phone use... I'm kinda behind that, except you might as well make driving with one hand illegal, too. If the issue is hands-on-the-wheel, then you need to make driving with your left arm hanging out the window illegal.

If the issue is distraction, then come on... you'll need to ban radios, GPS units, visor mirrors and passengers. All these things are distractions in one way or another, especially if the passengers are my four-year-old daughter and her little brother

Banning cell phone use when you're using a bluetooth or hands-free wire is downright idiotic. Might as well ban talking out loud - again, just ban passengers.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Wow, good thing they are making it illegal to text and drive in Michigan soon. I'm not going to lie, I tend to text and drive even though I hate it.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    You know... I'm probably going to get my head handed to me for this... but I don't like a lot of these laws.

Texting and driving, fine. I get that. You need, generally, both your hands to send a text - hands that need to be on the wheel - and you need to be glancing down at the phone an awful lot. Very, very dangerous.

Cell phone use... I'm kinda behind that, except you might as well make driving with one hand illegal, too. If the issue is hands-on-the-wheel, then you need to make driving with your left arm hanging out the window illegal.

If the issue is distraction, then come on... you'll need to ban radios, GPS units, visor mirrors and passengers. All these things are distractions in one way or another, especially if the passengers are my four-year-old daughter and her little brother

Banning cell phone use when you're using a bluetooth or hands-free wire is downright idiotic. Might as well ban talking out loud - again, just ban passengers.
    Exactly. Cell phone use is an easy target, but drivers can be and are distracted by a myriad of different things, especially passengers and radios.

Ten years ago my daughter and her then boyfriend (now husband) were critically injured and almost killed by a driver who went through a red light. Her explanation to the "I didn't see the light because I was busy talking to my passenger in the back seat."

About 25 years ago my father caused an accident when he tried to open a pill bottle while driving.

Texting has to be illegal, but hands-free calls are no more dangerous than talking to passengers or arguing back to talk radio.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Our generally idiotic General Assembly here in Missouri mishandled this issue in their legislative session which ended last Friday.

They were considering a bill to ban texting and driving for drivers of all ages. Our current idiotic law prohibits texting and driving for people under 21. (I assume when you attain 21, you are perfectly capable of texting and driving if you live in Missouri. Magical, isn't it?)

They failed to pass the new law, arguing that it would be too difficult to enforce. That's despite widespread support by all law enforcement agencies in the state, all agreeing that they wanted the law on the books and would find ways to enforce it at least better than not having the law.

Ah, well. I HATE Missouri and hope some day to be able to depart here and return to civilization. Some day. Maybe.
    You would think that- safety issues aside - the assemblypeople would see that tickets for violating this restriction would be a great new revenue source.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Frankly there needs to be a ban on stupidity. We really shouldn't need laws to tell people that texting, reading, watching movies and television (yes, over the weekend I was behind a car that had a small television on their dashboard, it was on with only the driver in the vehicle) are dangerous while driving. A couple of years ago I was rear-ended by a woman reading a novel while driving ON THE HIGHWAY!!!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

... If the issue is distraction, then come on... you'll need to ban radios, GPS units, visor mirrors and passengers. All these things are distractions in one way or another, especially if the passengers are my four-year-old daughter and her little brother

In Ontario (Canada), I believe using bluetooth or hands-free is fine. That's safer than holding a cellphone and driving.

It actually turns out that talking on a cellphone is more distracting than listening to the radio. That's because a different part of the brain is used for speech than for hearing. So even though using a bluetooth/hands-free is safer, it's probably best if one only talks on the cellphone while stopped.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Whatever you do, Daniel...

Don't mess around with that idea, leave my left arm, hanging out the window, PLEASE!

Don't Text and Drive!
    If they already have a gadget that wouldn't let an intoxicated driver start their car, then I think it would not be too difficult to come up with some kind of jamming device, that would make cell phones inoperative in the vicinity of the driver side, while the car is running.

Think about it!

Btw, I could patent this idea but, since this idea can save lives, here it's for free... (Just remember where you heard of it, first!)

A simple device mounted, or build-in inside the steering wheel would prevent anyone from using any cellphone while sitting behind the steering wheel while the car is running...

If the cellphone is located over two feet away from the vicinity of steering wheel, the cellphone can still be used in hands-free mode by the driver, but the driver can't use the cellphone for texting while the car is running, because if the driver tries to reach the cellphone, the call would end as soon as the cellphone gets too close to the steering wheel, while the car is running...

--------------------
    Feel free to send this good idea to the proper channels, in order to save lives.

I have a hard enough just driving.
    btw, those pictures are incredible.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano View Post
    It actually turns out that talking on a cellphone is more distracting than listening to the radio. That's because a different part of the brain is used for speech than for hearing
    I'd like to see some proof of that. I do not think you can generalize. I was not joking when I said "talking back to talk radio", especially when it involves politics, religion, and even sports, though I did not literally mean "talking back" but rather becoming infuriated and formulating a rebuttal in your mind.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you want to see something a bit eye-opening, view this staged yet very realistic movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I54mlK0kVw
    Warning: This movie is very graphic - I could not even watch it to the end. Just the thought of one of those girls being my daughter was too much to take.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Article that mentions listening vs. talking:
    Talking Distractions: Why Cell Phones And Driving Don't Mix

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano View Post
    Article that mentions listening vs. talking:
    Talking Distractions: Why Cell Phones And Driving Don't Mix

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    Have you actually read this "study"?

First of all, it was done at the University of South Carolina, the 90th best psychology department among US universities.

If you read the article, it would seem that USC doesn't belong in the top 200, or 2,000.

"Dr." Almor, after completing, I guess, a study that included 47 participants listening to pre-recorded narratives, states that he EXPECTS his findings to be "even stronger in actual, interactive conversation." That is a real strong demonstration of the scientific method.

Next, he basis even more findings on a second INCOMPLETE "study" encompassing 40 people, the results of which are "being compiled". Nice.

Quote the good "Dr.": “I anticipate the effect to be even stronger and more dynamic because, in conversation, people have the urge to contribute. In conversation, we compete with the other person. I suspect that the greater the urge to speak, the greater the distraction from the visual task.”

The more you read in this article, the more ludicrous the "studies" appear, the more he appears to have produced a self-fulfilling prophecy (assuming his findings support the theory he set out to validate), and the more worthless seem the alleged "findings".

However, looking at the findings themselves, such as they are, I believe they fully support the hypothesis that both talking to a passenger and listening intently to a provocative, intense political or religious discussion on the radio, where you really want to speak back, is JUST as distracting as a telephone conversation.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Exactly. Cell phone use is an easy target, but drivers can be and are distracted by a myriad of different things, especially passengers and radios.

Ten years ago my daughter and her then boyfriend (now husband) were critically injured and almost killed by a driver who went through a red light. Her explanation to the "I didn't see the light because I was busy talking to my passenger in the back seat."

About 25 years ago my father caused an accident when he tried to open a pill bottle while driving.

Texting has to be illegal, but hands-free calls are no more dangerous than talking to passengers or arguing back to talk radio.
    +1

We have laws in here in Houston / Katy, ( don't know about the rest of TX ) that it is illegal to be on your cell at all in school zones.

I agree w/ that...

Not gonna look at those pics by the way...

Gotta sleep at night.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread