Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    Broken Exports in Windows 7 and Excel 2010
    We've had a problem with GAN ever since we updated to Windows 7: All download ed Excel sales reports are corrupt, and need to be saved and repaired before they can be opened. It's gotten worse now, we upgraded 2 computers to Office 2010, and they can't open the files at all, even after repairing.

This only happens with performance reports (sales, other data) and not text reports (lists of affiliates), and we're on the merchant side, so I don't know if affiliates are having this problem. If you are, please let me know what reports are giving you trouble and what you are trying to fix it. This problem keeps growing in scope and is really becoming an issue for us.

Thanks!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Nathan Weinberg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1]Outsourced Program Manager
    Blue Cherry Group
    :envelope:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1] nweinberg(at)bluecherrygroup(dotcom) :telephone[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]646.290.8127 x203[/SIZE]

I am experiencing this same problem. The "activity details" is the only one I care about. There's nothing I can do to fix it. I'm hoping Google fixes the bug, and am trying to get their customer service to.

I am using Office 10 and Windows 7 as well.

In my testing on this, I found that on my setup (Win 7 x64 with Office 2010 x64), the Excel files came up as saying they're corrupted. So I tried the free 32 bit "Excel Viewer" from MS's website and found that it had the same problem with the file.

The workaround I came up with... I used "Virtual XP Mode" to install the Excel Viewer. Using the Excel Viewer under XP mode works great. Once the file was open I did a copy/paste to move the data into Excel 2010 so I could manipulate the data.

Now the huge question is, why did the Excel viewer open it correctly running in XP, but say it was corrupt when running under Win 7?

And its a slight pain in the butt to do it this way, but far less of one than having to have another machine set up to mess with the Google xls exports.

Thanks for the reply, TI Master
    Why doesn't Google just use a CSV or TAB format? Why should we have to do *anything* - this is bug.

indeed, a tab or CSV dump would make a ton more sense, as it is they're trying to make genuine binary format xls file, and for whatever reason the newer windows builds don't like it. This is especially frustrating given that the daily reports I get of all the links I need to change out before 6/30 require that I download the spreadsheet to see all the links.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread