Legality of using pics for a sports site.
    Hi,

Im fairly new to affiliate marketing so forgive me if this question seems pretty basic. I am starting up a sports/MMA site and need to use pictures from other sites or google images. Basically, I am unsure if I am allowed to show these pictures on my site, what is the legality on this matter?

I would like to use the pictures for news, as well as alter some pictures to make desktop backgrounds to give away on my site.

Is this more of a grey area? Or is it definitely illegal or perfectly fine to use the pics.

Thanks for any responses.

http and a telephoto
    This was asked recently. You need to check the copyright information on ANY image, especially if you want to alter or use it commercially.

You absolutely cannot just assume a photo you find on the web is usable for your personal or commercial ventures.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Almost every image is copyright, one example of an exception being old photos that are now out of copyright but even then there are exceptions to the exception.

So, better to take that every photo you might want to use is copyright and ask the owner of the photos where it is or is not available for use. Especially if you are doing a sports site, those in the professional sports arena might not take too kindly to you using their images. $$$
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    This was asked recently. You need to check the copyright information on ANY image, especially if you want to alter or use it commercially.

You absolutely cannot just assume a photo you find on the web is usable for your personal or commercial ventures.
    Thanks again for the response,

I figured that was the case,
    just out of curiosity, how hard do they usually come down on people for using copywrite images? do they usually just ask them to take the pictures off or can they actually sue the offending individual or bring them up on charges?

http and a telephoto
    They can sue for damages. Both the photographer that took the photo and the athletes in the photos. It is theft, and depending on the photographer or athlete it can mean big bucks.

There are plenty of places to request press photos and to purchase stock photos. If you go to team sites or athlete sites you may be able to request photos to use for news stories, but not for screensavers or wallpapers. You will have to license photos for that or purchase rights from photographers. Sometimes the photographers are restricted by the rights of the team or athlete. It's complicated!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    They can sue for damages. Both the photographer that took the photo and the athletes in the photos. It is theft, and depending on the photographer or athlete it can mean big bucks.

There are plenty of places to request press photos and to purchase stock photos. If you go to team sites or athlete sites you may be able to request photos to use for news stories, but not for screensavers or wallpapers. You will have to license photos for that or purchase rights from photographers. Sometimes the photographers are restricted by the rights of the team or athlete. It's complicated!
    Yikes! it sure does sound complicated and risky. I think I'll tread very carefully when it comes to using pics off the web. I may have to rethink my strategy for this site because I will need the latest photos to keep up with other sites.

subscribe to a wire service like the AP or Reuters.

PicApp is a good resource for finding photos you can use in blog posts, etc that feature celebs, atheletes, etc. They also have a WordPress plugin.

Thanks for pointing out PicApp, keystrokes. I wasn't aware of that site.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread