Strategic Grocery Shopping
    I've heard rumors of different grocery shopping strategies wherein you can get about a hundred bucks' worth of stuff for only a few dollars. It's mainly to do with combining sales with double- and triple-coupons, I think... from what I've gathered poking around the interwebs a little.

Does anyone do this? What are some good, trusted resources to learn more about these techniques?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

My father was so good at it that the store often ended up paying him to take stuff. Seriously.

I don't know of any places online to learn how to do it, but I can say that dad watched the sales flyers carefully and planned what to buy based on them and the coupons he had. He often went to 3 or 4 stores in a day to maximize savings. He preferred stores that double and tripled coupons.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    My parents used to split the coupon savings with me when I was a kid, let me tell you...that was a great strategy for them because I would definitely take advantage of doubling/tripling coupons! I haven't seen that out here in Chicago though...

I'm not ashamed to say that I am a huge clipper too, and I love reading the store ads to figure out what to stock up on. We almost always have a restaurant coupon too when dining out.

I did however, have kind of an odd experience once. I had a coupon for a free coffee from our neighborhood shop, so I ran over one morning and used it. I also bought a banana and tipped a dollar because, you know, they gave me a free coffee. When I handed the barista my coupon, he just about shouted, "OH. YOU'RE USING A COUPON!" Everyone in the shop looked at me, and I felt just a bit defensive. Sheesh. Next time I'll wear a tshirt that says, "I like to save money, and I'm proud of it!"

I read on a site last week, (I dont' remember which one, sorry), but one idea is to make a list of all non-perishable items that you use regularly. And then track prices for those items regularly. That way, when one goes on sale at a significant discount, you can stock up on it. You could also figure the frequency to which you use the product, and that could guide how many you buy.

ABW Ambassador
    I asked about this sort of thing in one thread and bettylou was nice enough to start this thread, exactly what you're looking for -

Using Offline Coupons

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...ghlight=coupon

Awesome! Thanks, Trust! And thanks to everyone for responding, too. Carolyn, that's an awesome idea about splitting the savings with the kids, I'm going to run that by my wife. Maybe, since the kids are so young and don't need money yet, we'll put it in their savings accounts for them.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The hardest part is the organization - it's all about whether you're trying to save time or save money. You need to know the typical price for the things your family uses, watch the ads and find a way to organize the coupons so they get used.

Note: Sunday circulars are great for coupons and the stores stock and prepare POP displays. If you wait a week or so, the surplus will be on sale and your coupon will give you better return. If you hit a week when you see coupons for lots of things your family will use, go pick up an extra copy if you don't have a neighbor or friend to save them for you.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread