Just how much traffic is needed to make considerable money?
    This is probably a stupid question, but I read a very disheartening article on this page by a guy who said he didn't make much money from his blog, even after getting over 100K views.

[REMOVED]

I know this isn't going to be a get-rich-quick thing and I'm willing to put in the time and effort it takes to succeed, but I'm just wondering what's a realistic estimate of how much money I can make in this business.

I have 2 niche sites that I'm working on (read: just starting) right now, one that falls under the computer/technology umbrella and another to do with hearing (as in ears). Both are things I'm interested in. I also have ideas for 3 more sites that I want to get going after those 2 are established.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 27th, 2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: removed link

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    The amount of traffic does not easily convert to the amount of money you will make. There are to many factors involved.

- Traffic quality
    - Traffic source
    - Niche type

and so on.

I have had sites that have 500 visitors a month make more than a site with 3,000 visitors a month.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Hi OpportunityCost,

There are several aspects that you need to take into consideration. It depends on the content of your sites, your niche, and the traffic you drive to your sites. It also depends on the type of offers you run (CPV, CPA, CPC, CPS). The content of the offers should also be relevant to the content of your sites. Since you are planning to start a few different sites, you'll have different target demographics which gives the opportunity to run a variety of offers.

I understand you are looking for a realistic estimate, but every situation is different so it's hard to give you a specific number. As I mentioned, there are several factors you have to take into account. Don't be discouraged because of on one article. There are also many success stories out there.

If you need help along the way, do not hesitate to post your questions on forums.

Good luck with everything!

It really depends on what you consider "considerable", how focused your site and traffic is, and how well you can monetize it.

Some highly focused sites with a very obvious product tie-in, a compelling offer, highly targeted traffic at the right point in the buying cycle could average earning upwards of $0.50 from each site visitor. (In reality, it could be 10x that or more -- I found once niche where I was able to earn about $6/visitor for a short period of time -- but it's pretty rare to do THAT good so I think $0.50 is probably more accurate as a high-end example. At that rate, though, 10,000 visitors per month (300 per day) would produce about $5k/month.

Now on the low-end, there are many types of sites that will never earn $0.01 per visitor (and perhaps a tenth of that would be more accurate). In that case, even a million visitors a month would produce under $1000/month.

The more general, unfocused, and widely popular something is, the less that you'll be able to earn per visitor (generally), but the more easily you'll be able to get traffic. Either way can work. Neither is easy.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    It really depends on what you consider "considerable", how focused your site and traffic is, and how well you can monetize it.

Some highly focused sites with a very obvious product tie-in, a compelling offer, highly targeted traffic at the right point in the buying cycle could average earning upwards of $0.50 from each site visitor. (In reality, it could be 10x that or more -- I found once niche where I was able to earn about $6/visitor for a short period of time -- but it's pretty rare to do THAT good so I think $0.50 is probably more accurate as a high-end example. At that rate, though, 10,000 visitors per month (300 per day) would produce about $5k/month.

Now on the low-end, there are many types of sites that will never earn $0.01 per visitor (and perhaps a tenth of that would be more accurate). In that case, even a million visitors a month would produce under $1000/month.

The more general, unfocused, and widely popular something is, the less that you'll be able to earn per visitor (generally), but the more easily you'll be able to get traffic. Either way can work. Neither is easy.
    So basically, a site that is centered on a single product will do better than one that is geared toward multiple products? For example, would a technology site that focuses on a particular device do better than a general site which focuses on a variety of devices?

Quote Originally Posted by opportunityCost View Post
    So basically, a site that is centered on a single product will do better than one that is geared toward multiple products? For example, would a technology site that focuses on a particular device do better than a general site which focuses on a variety of devices?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've always found that tightly grouped products work better than trying to do some junky "e-mini-mall" sort of thing (they were sooo popular about 8-10 years ago).

Overall, you want to focus on building traffic that is dedicated to a profitable topic, or traffic that is ready to buy. Getting an audience that is dedicated to a certain topic can dramatically reduce the effort needed for GETTING ongoing traffic, but earnings per visitor will usually be much lower. On the other hand, you could be optimizing a site for long-tail keywords and getting people far into the buying cycle, and in those cases, you often don't need many visitors at all to make sales. It really depends on your personal style and the kind of topics you want to cover.

Think about these examples:

Copyblogger.com - This guy writes great, informative articles and gets a ton of traffic, but he's not always asking for the sale. He gets a lot of repeat traffic, oodles of credibility, and plenty of referrals. He can sell an expensive copywriting course in his sleep.

WallStreetOasis.com - This site is another page that offers a ton of content so people will keep coming back. People trust them and take their recommendations, but they need more traffic than a "product" site because they're not necessarily getting visitors in the buying state of mind.

Or...

dishesandchina.com (just a quick example, not necessarily a great one) - This site is going to see much more long-tail traffic, but because a person searching for something like "Mikasa blue and white dinnerware set" knows exactly what they want, the odds of making the sale are better for each given visitor. People are probably not going to return to this site, though, or put a ton of "trust" in the owner.

So....you can see how there's a huge difference based on the type of site and what's actually on the page.

There are also markets that just tend to be harder to monetize - gossip blogs, for example, are notorious for having relatively low-quality traffic. People on those sites are often there killing time rather than actively shopping.
    Last edited by Bill; May 26th, 2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Unlinked

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    That link in the OPs original post has very little advertising on it. So little it is a little bland. Advertising can be like signs on the side of the road. They can be something interesting to look at and tell people more about an industry.

Additionally I think some of the numbers he is stating for Adsense revenue seems low. I tend to think more around $2 CPM. He is stating $.25 to $1....

I have a few weird low traffic sites that are like $50 CPM. But that is rare and I wish I knew how to scale that.

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Thats the key message really. Either can work, neither is easy. While there are people who "get rich quick", most of the entrepreneurs I know, regardless of industry, have spent years honing their craft, paying their dues with hard work and money.

So plan on losing money at first. Have reserves, have a day job, whatever it is.

Things tend to cost twice as much and take twice as long - whether thats expected return on investment or web app development.

sorry for the long overdue reply to this. Very good information here, and I'm taking it to heart as I work on building my sites! One of them will be content-heavy because I'm not sure the visitors will be in a buying frame of mind. I will try to design my site with calls to action that encourage them to make purchases if they wish to, or else read the blog.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread