Question Datafeeds = Duplicate Content Penalties?
    I need a collective ruling on this one. I was talking with a new merchant yesterday and he vehemently objected to creating a datafeed because he was absolutely positive a datafeed would penalize his site in the Google. I hit the BS button and told him that I've never heard of this before, since there are thousands of merchants profiting from datafeeds.

But, I don't have all the answers so I'm asking for opinions.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Google's pretty good about knowing whose content is the original one. Especially if all the affiliate sites are linking back to the merchant, with the original content.

That's my take on it, but maybe someone who has worked with a merchant has a different experience.

If this was true then if you did a search on "Flirty Aprons" your affiliates could rank higher than the merchant. As it turns out the merchant ranks higher and #1 spot, above of amazon even. I also see that "Flirty Aprons" has a product feed. So, I think esnagel is right, Google knows who the original merchant is but I dunno about the other Search Engines.

I once had a merchant who did not want to give out datafeed to everyone, only select affiliates and I think his reason was the same. I didn't promote them heavily and did not pursue to ask for the feed but this merchant no longer has an affiliate program. Don't know if it's related though.

I agree with others who say that merchants should NOT worry about a duplicate content penalty arising from their affiliates' use of datafeed content.

However, I am aware that for some merchants, the product descriptions in their datafeeds are different from the product descriptions on their web sites, and in some cases the product titles are also different. Usually the differences involve "promotional" language (the datafeed version is shorter and more objective, while the merchant's product description on the site may add more flowery language and subjective comments).

As well, there is the opportunity to "mix 'n match" merchants, for example, in PopShops, AvantLink & Golden Can. While merchants may not like this, it's one way to create unique shops that don't have duplicate content.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Cool
    Google is smarter than that. I'm no SEO expert, but this strikes me as a bit of a "sky-is-falling" outlook.

With PopShops, he can arrange for the datafeed to be flagged Private, appearing only to those publishers given permission to see it. This will limit the exposure that he perceives to be a risk.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

It wouldn't be too hard to provide 1,000+ examples of merchants who distribute datafeeds to thousands of affiliates, but whose sites have not been negatively impacted by their affiliate's use of the feeds.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

If I talk to this guy again, I'll pass along all this good information. Thank you for the help.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    As well, there is the opportunity to "mix 'n match" merchants, for example, in PopShops, AvantLink & Golden Can. While merchants may not like this, it's one way to create unique shops that don't have duplicate content.
    Renee, do you mean that by mixing two or more datafeed results on a given page, it will no longer seem to be duplicate content? Or is it more complex than that?
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike View Post
    Renee, do you mean that by mixing two or more datafeed results on a given page, it will no longer seem to be duplicate content? Or is it more complex than that?
    By selecting individual items from different datafeeds, you've created a unique page. The odds are that no other affiliate publisher has chosen the same items you have.

You can do the same with one merchant, depending on what's in their datafeed. If you can select items from different categories (but still related to your page theme), you'll have a unique page, as those items won't appear together on the merchant's site or most likely, an affiliate's site either.

Place some unique copy above/below the datafeed for good measure.
    Renée

I think you guys may be overthinking the definition of "duplicate content", too. If you have a page that is completely blank except for the datafeed content, and so does another affiliate, that is clearly duplicate content. The more "other stuff" you add to the page, the less duplicate content problems you'll have.

Google doesn't look at a paragraph of descriptive text and automatically ding you for duplicate content - if it's on a page that provides other value to the viewer: more paragraphs of text, other images, anything that makes that page unique from the other 1000 affiliates that are using that one paragraph of descriptive text.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    If anyone was going to be hit for duplicate content penalities it would be the POD companies like CafePress and Zazzle. Every single product page for a particular type of product has the exact same text description unless the "shopkeeper" has added a custom line or two.

Where merchants get the idea that this is a problem is from the SEO firms they hire that have no real clue about what they are doing and see the affiliate channel as competition and ask for crazy stuff to make the merchant think they are doing their job. SEO companies tend to ask for additions of variables to affiliate urls, they scream about duplicate content from the datafeeds, and what ever else they can find to blame on affiliates. They are usually the ones that come up with the "don't let affiliates use your name on pages" etc.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Renee and Daniel - thanks!

Time to put a few sites through the blender...
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    As others have said, Google knows who owns the authoritative content. There is nothing for any merchant to worry about in terms of providing a datafeed for Affiliates..

In fact, I'll go so far as to say there was never a duplicate content "penalty" that ever existed from Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    As others have said, Google knows who owns the authoritative content. There is nothing for any merchant to worry about in terms of providing a datafeed for Affiliates..

In fact, I'll go so far as to say there was never a duplicate content "penalty" that ever existed from Google.
    Gary, you aren't the first person I've heard say this -- several SEO people I respect for their common sense approach to websites have also said that the so-called Google duplicate content "penalty" is more myth than truth.

I wouldn't want to derail this thread regarding datafeeds, but that's a fascinating suggestion, if that's what you're suggesting?

I would love to hear more.
    Generate more fake news.

Yes that's what I'm suggesting. And nothing more to add, just that I don't buy it. You can get filtered to the deepest depths of the results for thin or duplicate content...and I suspect that's what some would refer to as a "penalty"

Google figured out a long time ago how to credit the true and authority source for content, so IMO retailers have nothing to worry about in terms of Affiliate program product feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Where merchants get the idea that this is a problem is from the SEO firms they hire that have no real clue about what they are doing and see the affiliate channel as competition and ask for crazy stuff to make the merchant think they are doing their job. SEO companies tend to ask for additions of variables to affiliate urls, they scream about duplicate content from the datafeeds, and what ever else they can find to blame on affiliates. They are usually the ones that come up with the "don't let affiliates use your name on pages" etc.
    Absolutely! I asked some "SEO experts" for advice way back when—and received absolutely ridiculous advice that even I knew they didn't know what they were talking about. Many (dare I say most?) SEO firms have no experience whatsoever with merchants & the affiliate marketing model.
    Renée

Yes, you can dare say most In fact how about "no experience whatsoever with merchants, the affiliate marketing model or SEO."

http and a telephoto
    My comments were actually based on actual discussions with merchants and what their so called SEO firms requested or told them. No speculation on my part at all. Just jaw dropping requests from merchants (that I no longer manage because they never did "get it") that I replied with "no you can't do that" and "no that is not right".... etc.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread